1. Best muzzle for pitbull types?

I am looking into purchasing a muzzle but would like some advice. I don't want to buy one of the cheap type at Petsmart, etc. but I don't really want to break the bank unless I absolutely have to.

Obviously it has to be strong enough for the pitbull breed but I would also like for them to be able to breathe in it and not uncomfortable. Would a cage type be best? Made of what material? Would like to hear from somebody with personal experience. What type fits this breed best?

It depends on what your motives are behind it. My personal favorites are the plastic/fabric type ones (I have no clue what they are made out of) if it's a short term thing (clipping nails, short vet work, etc). If you need something for longer periods and they aren't actually rough housing with other dogs then the "cage" looking ones are great (several of the people I know use those for walking their dogs since on post you are required to have your dog muzzled at all times).

I use two different kinds. I have a cage type muzzle for Tank as the nylon one did not allow for him to pant as much and he would often get over heated while on walks. For the girls I use a nylon one if needed as they don't tend to get over heated like him. The main things that sucks about the metal one is IT HURTS if he hits you with it! lol

4. Did you buy yours online? I remember seeing some leather ones that were custom made but were kind of pricey if I remember correctly. Some were that cage shape but made out of leather.

I would like to use one for walks and vet visits.

you can go on ebay, there cheap there, get a basket cage muzzle.

Ugghh... I actually ordered a few online and had to return them. I tried every bloody size in the pet stores nothing fit him. :rolleyes: My boy has a melon for a head and even though the rotti one fit his snout, the straps were too small. I wound up keeping the basket part from one, and the leather straps from another and had my friend who does leather work custom make one for him out of those. How aggressive is your dog? My boy WILL bite a strange dog if it approaches him so I feel much safer using the metal type. Besides the nylon one not allowing for panting as much as the metal basket ones, he actually grabbed my friends dog's muzzle and ripped it off while he was wearing the nylon muzzle! :rolleyes: I was glad it happened in that situation instead of when we were on a walk so now I stick with the metal ones. I did look at the leather ones, but my boy tends to REALLY drool and foam up when walking and I just figured a nylon or metal would be more hygenic as you can wash them where you can't really wash a leather one. I also worried about his goober making it brittle. As well, I didn't feel that they leather ones were as safe as the metal as if he can still get a bite with a nylon one that fit quite tight, I bet he'd get a bite with a leather cage type one.

To the OP, is a muzzle required where you live? What is the reason behind the muzzle?

If the dog is aggressive, a muzzle on walks does nothing but make him more reactive and defensive. If aggressive at the vet's, a string muzzle that does not allow ANY opening of the mouth at all is usually used. We make our own muzzles and use them because a dog can still manage to bite the hell out of us with every muzzle on the market.

8. No muzzle required where I live. I would just feel more comfortable in certain situations that the dog be muzzled. I don't fully trust the dogs not to react to other dogs and other people are so irresponsible with their dogs. Sometimes I like to walk down to get the mail but there is a house with ankle biters that sometimes don't control their dogs.

My vet is Banfield so I have to walk through Petsmart. There are too many people with those damn retractable leashes letting their pets run wild. I usually have another person with me when I take the dogs in to the vet, sort of a lookout, but if I ever have to take them in by myself I would rather be safe than sorry.

I know there are people who don't like Banfield, but there are only 2 other vets in town and neither of them are acceptable to me. I picked Banfield because of a certain vet that works there that I really like and he does not prejudge my dogs because of their breed.

9. I also have a "cage" muzzle it works great,BUT it hurts like hell when you get wacked with it

Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    If the dog is aggressive, a muzzle on walks does nothing but make him more reactive and defensive.
    I've actually had really good luck in this departement. I've only handled two dogs that needed to be muzzled. Nyx was actually more secure with the muzzle on for some reason. It's like she must have felt since she can't do anything, she might as well chill. Go figure! lol Then Tank... well.. he's just too much of a meat head to care or even notice! I've been working on getting Deeohgee comfortable with one, by giving her treats through it and such. Right now she thinks it's a treat dispenser. It'll be interesting to see how she reacts to wearing it as she's a pretty insecure dogs at times, hence why I'm taking it slow with her. With Tank I just slapped it on and away we went. If I even touch his muzzle he dances all around like other dogs do when you get their leash. He's such a dork.