Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are terriers comparable to cats in mousing?

I'm wondering this because it seems some mice have moved under our back porch and I can't stand it. It's the reason I went and got our cat. But I haven't seen the cat kill anything but huge $#@!roaches.

I've noticed people talking about terriers so i'm asking are they any good at mousing.

I have a 5 month old, pit pup too.

Smaller terriers such as Rat Terriers and JRT's and the like are very good at dispacthing vermin.

Images
    My Jack Russell Terriers are excellent at catching any small prey. rodents/rabbits/groundhogs/etc....

We used to have a mole problem in the yard.....not any longer

They've also rid us of a nasty geese problem
    Last edited by Debbie; 01-08-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Do you think a terrier would dig under my porch to get to the vermin. Cause that's where they hide.

Also either my cat or my pup killed a vermin. I found it on my porch torn apart. I have a feeling it was my pup, but he's just a pup. I think it was him because i'll put his crate out there doing the day. I suppose he may have caught one in his food.

Terriers were bred for that stuff. I know many people who use any variety of terrier (JRT, Patterdale, etc.) for hunting, and they will tackle anything from vermin to raccoons, possums and so on. The toughness of a terrier is never more apparent than when they're tackling an angry raccoon. As for digging...they will dig thru haybales, into varmint holes, even get thru wood floors of abandoned houses when they catch a scent they want.

Images
    id feed a terrier of any type before a cat! lol..on farms here in Iowa its very common to see a couple rat terriers for pests, theyll handle the mice/rats along with some critters thatd kill a cat in a heartbeat.

Terriers are way better than cats at getting rid of rats/mice. Only downside is they will tear stuff up to get to them! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    My Jack Russell Terriers are excellent at catching any small prey. rodents/rabbits/groundhogs/etc....

We used to have a mole problem in the yard.....not any longer

They've also rid us of a nasty geese problem
    Yup, that is a common scene in my yard....dog digs holes faster than I can fill'em. He'll be running about, stop in his tracks, twist his head back and forth then pounces and digs away. Seldom does he come up empty handed. He is by far the hardest working small terrier I have ever owned, little guy is on the clock 24/7.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyDogs View Post
    Yup, that is a common scene in my yard....dog digs holes faster than I can fill'em. He'll be running about, stop in his tracks, twist his head back and forth then pounces and digs away. Seldom does he come up empty handed. He is by far the hardest working small terrier I have ever owned, little guy is on the clock 24/7.
    Isn't amazing how they just know when something is under the ground ?
    My two actually work together....they're like poetry in motion when hunting down something....:D

Images
    I have a JRT who is hell on vermon. Back in the summer I had her and another JRT and they both would spend hours in the tall gr$#@! or in the corn patch after mice, rats, etc. My female Tippy is a 12 pound terror, she's also a terrier, but she really is a terror, especially on coons and oppossums. She is even hell on cats!!, unfortunately she got into a nest of kittens in the barn once and killed all of them, so yes a JRT can be awesome ratters, mousers, etc. Her and my SBT caught an oppossum the other day and there truly is no time when you see her look "happier" than when she has killed something (as grewsome as some of you may think that sounds).

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Isn't amazing how they just know when something is under the ground ?
    My two actually work together....they're like poetry in motion when hunting down something....:D
    Mine has a partner in crime too, my male APBT. Although I am not quite sure he knows what they are diggin for but he is always willing to lend a bigger mitted helping hand.

I agree with you, thier hearing is amazing, sadly tho, he hears too much...little $#@! wont sleep because he has to investigate every noise.

To the OP, if you do aquire a ratter and going to allow it to work, make sure that you keep it UTD on its rabies shot....mine goes every year regardless of the longer duration of the original shot. Not every kill is clean, sometimes they get cut up by its prey, so its better to be safe than sorry.

Beverly, NJ, on the Deleware River, just North of Philadelphia
    My APBT hunts moles in the Winter. He hears them and tries to dig the up. Here he is looking for them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyDogs View Post
    Mine has a partner in crime too, my male APBT. Although I am not quite sure he knows what they are diggin for but he is always willing to lend a bigger mitted helping hand.

I agree with you, thier hearing is amazing, sadly tho, he hears too much...little $#@! wont sleep because he has to investigate every noise.

To the OP, if you do aquire a ratter and going to allow it to work, make sure that you keep it UTD on its rabies shot....mine goes every year regardless of the longer duration of the original shot. Not every kill is clean, sometimes they get cut up by its prey, so its better to be safe than sorry.
    Your APBT sounds like my Lab/Rott..... she's very interested in what Sassy and Maisy are doing...but I don't quite think she "gets it".

Good advice on the UTD Vaccination. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by woody d View Post
    id feed a terrier of any type before a cat! lol..on farms here in Iowa its very common to see a couple rat terriers for pests, theyll handle the mice/rats along with some critters thatd kill a cat in a heartbeat.
    hell yeah,my rat terrier was a better mouser than any cat.I'd have a terrier for pest control over a cat any day.

Couple of summers ago,rats decided they wanted to start a family in our backyard/tool shed.Which also housed the dog(s),Precious wasn't sharing her living quarters with them and for one week straight.I found pieces of rats,torn in half,tails and torso with no heads.
    Never had a rat problem in the backyard again..:D

Terriers are great mousers. This APBT mix recently caught one:)

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=50702

Both my pitbull and am. bulldog patrol yard to keep rodents out. If they see one, they will not stop until they catch it, or we make them come in.
    When they do catch one, they are so proud of themselves! I just gotta watch were I walk when I'm cleaning the yard so I don't step on a body.
    Luckily they've only had to catch 2 (that I know of).

Images
    Hmmm, my pitbull and cat do not catch the damn mice in my house. Cruz just growls if he senses/smells it. Ive seen the damn mice running in the house, with Cruz and NEO just feet away and they dont even notice.

But in general, terriers are supposed to be good at getting underground rodents, hence, why they dig!

Man this has really opened my eyes. I had no idea any dog really enjoyed hunting vermin. I guess there is a job for those lil ankle biters. Might have to invest in one.

Images
    I had a little female Rat Terrier that was such a sweetheart. She went after rats and snakes with as much courage as an APBT. She lived till she was 16 yrs old. RIP Tinkerbell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast