Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. How to discipline dog for chasing cat

How should I discipline my pitbull for chasing the cat? My cat jumped over the baby gate and a chase took place. I told the dog to "leave it" and she ignored me and continued to chase the cat. I got in the middle and the cat jumped back over the gate where the dog couldnt get her. Another scary thing I noticed is the dog seemed to mouth the cat. The cat was fine. Does the dog realize this is bad?

Images
    No, the dog does not realize this is bad, but follows a normal prey instinct (it is small, it runs, therefore, I will chase it).

I would keep them apart with something more than a baby gate.

you dont need to punish your dog for following a natural instinct that would be like punishing a dog for eating or sleeping

Images
    You have to be proactive in stopping the dog before it gets excited to avoid the reactive instinct. Our first dog, a puppy, was taught from the get go that the cat was off limits, then we adopted an older female with no knowledge of her like/dislike of cats so we were extra alert with her and remain so. We tell them both "leave Buddy” with authority and consistency so they know he*s off limits. I don*t let them approach him either, or I make them stop in their tracks even if it*s just to sniff. In doing this I think I*ve conditioned the cat as well since he doesn*t seem fearful therefore he does not dart from them. Neither of my dogs appears to have a dislike for cats which may be why this works as well as it does for us. Again, I*m not saying I trust them…Buddy is never left alone with them nor do we leave both dogs together unsupervised. I just think exposing them to each other is better than always keeping them separate because they*ll remain highly interested.

Shock collar the cat for running. Id rather do that than discourage my dogs from being dogs. Im weird though. Positive reinforce "not chasing" the cat would probably work better, but Im not really thaaaat much of a trainer, and dont own anything that runs from a dog.

6. The baby gate while I am home to keep them separated has worked for a year. The cat is behind closed doors when I am not home. The dog has never once tried to jump over the baby gate. The dog is around the cat while I am home (leashed), and she basically ignores the cat. The cat has been bold enough (only lately) to jump over the gate regardless of the presence of the dog on the other side. I would love to have my dog listen to the "leave it" command (she's good at obeying it in other circumstances) even when it is used in terms of the cat.

I feel as though she should be punished because she did no listen to me, not necessarily because she followed her dog instincts and chased the cat.

If there is something to chase, my dogs are as good as deaf. I'm impressed with your making it work for a year.

Images
    I always corrected my dogs with a NO CAT! as soon as they showed ANY interest in them. I would stand in front of the cat as I did the correction. If you do it before they really alert on it, you should be able to nip it in the bud.

MANY people just keep them separate though, so you may want to keep that in mind. Mine basically left them alone after I established that they are off limits.

You can also try leashing your dog and giving quick leash correction when they alert on them as well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Heres a sticky that may have some useful information as well. :)
    Intro Cat to other cats/dog - Training Behavior

9. Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Darlin' View Post
    You have to be proactive in stopping the dog before it gets excited to avoid the reactive instinct. Our first dog, a puppy, was taught from the get go that the cat was off limits, then we adopted an older female with no knowledge of her like/dislike of cats so we were extra alert with her and remain so. We tell them both "leave Buddy” with authority and consistency so they know he’s off limits. I don’t let them approach him either, or I make them stop in their tracks even if it’s just to sniff. In doing this I think I’ve conditioned the cat as well since he doesn’t seem fearful therefore he does not dart from them. Neither of my dogs appears to have a dislike for cats which may be why this works as well as it does for us. Again, I’m not saying I trust them…Buddy is never left alone with them nor do we leave both dogs together unsupervised. I just think exposing them to each other is better than always keeping them separate because they’ll remain highly interested.
    Excellent advice:)

Images
    Ok so I have two puppies, one is a apbt and one is an abd...they like to play with my cats and sometimes my cats play back, do I stop this behavior now or is it better if they grow up together playing and getting along?

i have 2 dogs and a cat and for the most part they get along well.there all separated from each other when nobody's home and when they are together for the most part they ignore each other but every now and then they will chase the cat down..in spit of the fact that they get along good i would not be the least bit surprise if that cat gets riped to shreds one day.would i be sad yes,would i be mad at the dogs no.i used to have a cat and some pet mice and although i had no problems for months i was not surprise the day i came home to find all 3 mice dead and riped to pieces.its just nature.

Lol, nature sucks when it's spilled all over your floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowanlow View Post
    Lol, nature sucks when it's spilled all over your floor.
    hahaha that is the truth. I have one I taught to leave them as $#@!on as he got here. the cats want no part of the dogs anyway. but my marley that just came back home, has alwas loved cats. like to chase and try to eat. its a struggle now but we are working on it.

My dog and cat play together, but it sometimes gets to ruff. I tell him to leave the cat alone and he does it for the most part.

15. My problem is because I've always kept my cat and dog separated (or dog leashed when the cat is out), I don't know what the dog is going to do when she catches the cat. Will she try to harm it (possibly kill) or try to play with it. She has never looked at the cat (in my opinion) aggressively. But, not so sure last night. When the dog is leashed and the cat is walking around, if the dog stares at the cat, I always give her a correction and tell her to "leave it" in which the dog then looks away. She can lay down in the same room with the cat (leashed), but the minute the cat runs, it is game on for the dog. Just don't know if it is in a playful or dangerous way. I heard from people that I shoudl just let them chase each other around while I am at home supervise, but I'm too scared at what kind of harm the dog could potentially do.

A 50 lb dog dosnt have to jump on a 4lb cat very hard for guts to come squishing out...aggressive or playing. I've seen really big dogs play nice n gentle with cats and puppies that were rough enough to kill one playing around....before they were even as big as a cat.

Images
    I have a cat and recently adopted an APBT. I had the same problem and the dog has mouthed the cat before which was scary but I did some research and found a method for training him to leave the cat alone that has worked really well. Once a day I put the dog in his crate and bring the cat in the room. I warm up a hot dog and cut it up (a treat he ONLY gets when the cat is around). Then I get some cat treats and let the cat check him out and have his treats. Every time that the dog looks at me, or looks at the cat and doesn't react and has a relaxed posture, I give him a little hot dog. Then we started doing it with him out of the crate, and are slowly phasing out the treats. He is learning that when the cat is around and he behaves he gets the best treat ever! It's been three weeks and he has gone from barking and lunging at the cat, to today, for the first time ever, being in the same room and completely ignoring him. It takes some time but we have made HUGE progress. I would strongly recommend it.

A slight sidebar on the hotdogs topic, they always give my dogs diarrhea. I like to use salmon treats (which they think are gods gift to them) whenever I want them to behave in a non-instinctual behavior (like when I taught them that my bird is their best friend, not a chew toy).
    Even so, the bird is behind a closed door at all times and is never unsupervised with them. Let's face it, they're dogs, they'll do doggy things. My Liberty could swallow her whole, but she chooses not to. There's nothing to say one day she won't change her mind.
    My advice, get your dog desensitized, but still keep them separated when you're not around.

keep a leash on the dog, when he goes for a cat pull back with a leave it command, and reward when he ignores the cat.

Images
    Call me lazy but to me it's just natural behavior. Just keep them seperated. That's what we do. My SBT would like nothing more then to get our cat and my MIL's cat. But we make sure that never happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast