Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. What causes a pit bull to develop aggression?

So a friend of mine & I were having a conversation about pitbulls & what not. He strongly believe that feeding a pitbull raw meat makes it aggressive. Whereas, I do not. Can someone please prove which of us are wrong as well as stating what makes a pitbull aggressive, being as specific as possible.

Thanks =]
    - TA

you are 100% right, it doesn't matter if you feed it raw meat or a vegetarian dog food how dog and animal aggressive its going to be is going to rely on genetics, American Pit Bull Terriers have been bred for to be very aggressive towards other animals specifically other dogs and it has nothing to do with what you feed it or how you raise it, as for human aggression thats a whole nother story

Quote Originally Posted by Budboy88 View Post
    you are 100% right, it doesn't matter if you feed it raw meat or a vegetarian dog food how dog and animal aggressive its going to be is going to rely on genetics, American Pit Bull Terriers have been bred for to be very aggressive towards other animals specifically other dogs and it has nothing to do with what you feed it or how you raise it, as for human aggression thats a whole nother story
    100% agree, I feed my boy a part raw diet (A cornish hen about 1 every 4 days or so, a raw egg 1 every 4 days or so and canned fish 1 every 4 days or so) and he is not human aggressive at all, he is dog selective but he had that BEFORE I started him on any raw food, heck he was playing with our disabled terrier just today and was not aggressive at him what soever. I think if feeding dogs raw food would make them more aggressive wolves would not exist due to them eating raw meat and such, they work together they don't kill each other lol

There is no evidence feeding raw makes a dog aggressive.

What causes a dog to become aggressive? In most cases it's a combination of genetics and environment.

Things that cause aggression:
    - Breeding (genetics inherited from parents)
    - Socialization
    - Medical issues
    - Other environmental factors

5. Excellent posts from Budboy and Tiffseagles.

Genetics, IMO, play a huge role in whether or not the dog will be sound or unsound. :)

The only thing I would say about it is meat is pure energy...it may make the dog have more energy...but aggressive? ANYTHING can be a dogs individual trigger for aggression...I would say it would be one in a billion dogs who would become aggressive from too much energy. Actually as I am writing this I retract the entire statement, it would be the owners fault for not exercising their dog if it had too much energy which resulted in aggression.

Images
    I dont believe feeding raw will influence aggression at all. Genetics play the biggest part.. Ive also found that once they get into a scuffle sometimes that will trigger it too, but mostly, its in the genes. :)

feeding a pit bull terrier (or any other dog) raw meat makes it HEALTHY.
    your friend is about 100 years behind science.

aggression is caused in any breed of dog by poor temperament- either from poor genetics, improper handling, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffseagles View Post
    There is no evidence feeding raw makes a dog aggressive.

What causes a dog to become aggressive? In most cases it's a combination of genetics and environment.

Things that cause aggression:
    - Breeding (genetics inherited from parents)
    - Socialization
    - Medical issues
    - Other environmental factors
    Very True! If feeding Raw makes dogs aggressive then my dog must not have gotten the memo....he has been on Raw for a while now and does not have an aggressive bone in his body. However he is very sleek, shiney and in optimal health :)

It's like saying if you like your steak more rare than cooked, you're going to be a murderer.

Perhaps an unbalanced diet could lead to stress that makes the fuse shorter? People who serve homemade foods to their pets need to ensure that the meals are completely balanced. If the diet is good and the dog is healthy, then I'd think that should lead to less aggression. I know I am crankier when I'm not eating right and then because I'm cranky I'll make less of an effort on my diet and I won't exercise and it all becomes a vicious cycle. Healthy, well-exercised critters -- human and pets -- are just happier, I think.

12. I stand correct.
    Thanks guys, awesome feedback.

I agree, feeding RAW has nothing to do with influencing Aggression of any kind.

While speaking of RAW, you should only feed RAW if you know the proper way. Lack of knowledge about feeding RAW can do a lot of harm for your dog so Please do Thorough Research.

14. People use raw meat as a carrier for gunpowder or hot sauce. They do this so it will over a short period of time make the dog very aggressive. But people who do this arent into the dogs for love, they are into them for pit money.

15. So what you're saying is that putting gunpowder or hot sauce in raw meat can make a pitbull aggressive?

Beverly, NJ, on the Deleware River, just North of Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
    People use raw meat as a carrier for gunpowder or hot sauce. They do this so it will over a short period of time make the dog very aggressive. But people who do this arent into the dogs for love, they are into them for pit money.
    What in the world are you talking about? Do you really believe that?!

People use raw meat as a carrier for gunpowder or hot sauce. They do this so it will over a short period of time make the dog very aggressive. But people who do this arent into the dogs for love, they are into them for pit money.
    That's a myth. Feeding gun powder to a dog will only do one thing to them: make them dead as a doornail.

Images
    Come on Samuel, just looking at your dog I can see he is fed a diet that contains nothing but gunpowder and hot sauce.lmfao,and you didn't know you had to put it in meat first.

Beverly, NJ, on the Deleware River, just North of Philadelphia
    You're supposed to mix the gunpowder and hot sauce and wrap the raw meat around it to get him aggressive? No wonder mine is so calm.

find me one real dogman who has ever done anything like that.......................................

dont worry ill wait

where the hell does a pit fight fit into the schedule of a very sick and possibly dying dog??? you need to take that HSUS $#@! somewhere else because it isnt welcome here
    Last edited by Michele; 01-07-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast