Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Question Potty Trained Dog peeing in house

    Help!

    Our now 8 month old male pitbull has been potty trained for some time now, he goes to the door when he needs to go out. We have recently taken in an 11 week old pit puppy who was rescued from a shelter and sure death. Ever since we got her, he has begun peeing in the house again! At first we thought perhaps he was marking where she had accidents. However, he doesn't just mark, he releases his entire bladder. Last night in the middle of the night, he peed in the bed.

    Could this been a result of the change in environment? (ie, the puppy)
    Or could he have a bladder infection that started cooincidentally when we brought the puppy home?

  2. Rule out a UTI first. If it's not that, it could be a dominance thing.

    Do you take them both out at the same time?

  3. #3
    when you've determined via the vet that it's not a UTI, crate him at night and when you're not immediately watching him. he's "forgotten" his housebreaking either due to stress regression or something else.
    i doubt it's dominance related, 8 month old pups don't normally mark (either with a squirt or with a bladder-full) but older pups and young dogs have been known to get lazy when their environment changes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    629
    Images
    2
    I would say releasing the whole bladder is not marking, however if the small pup has gone in the house, your big pup might think the rules changed. It is stressful adding another dog to a home, and he may need to be retrained.

  5. He is not a dominant dog at all, and this is too much pee to just be marking, in my experience anyway.

    We do crate him when we are not home and he is crated at night, however he usually starts whining around 4 am and we let him out and he jumps on the bed.

    I have a feeling it has something to do with the new puppy, but I will still take him to the vet to rule out a bladder infection.

    Thank you for your responses!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDirtyDawg View Post
    when you've determined via the vet that it's not a UTI, crate him at night and when you're not immediately watching him. he's "forgotten" his housebreaking either due to stress regression or something else.
    i doubt it's dominance related, 8 month old pups don't normally mark (either with a squirt or with a bladder-full) but older pups and young dogs have been known to get lazy when their environment changes.
    Yea when we moved into our new house my dog full on peed on me TWICE in bed :eek: I woke up completely soaked We just went back to a strict schedule/training and he relaxed right away.

  7. #7
    ADD::::: the whining at 4am and then you let him out of the crate and he climbs in bed....

    that's reinforcing a really bad habit. when he whines, take him out to potty, and right back into the crate. whining is a bossy and bad habit that only gets worse. you should teach him right away to think that when he whines at night, he's asking to go outside and go potty. that way, you won't have every night for the rest of your life waking up to him whining- also, as he learns his whining works, he'll whine for every reason, and be insistent about it...

    just sharing experience.

    ---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonitis View Post
    Yea when we moved into our new house my dog full on peed on me TWICE in bed :eek: I woke up completely soaked We just went back to a strict schedule/training and he relaxed right away.


    EWWWWW i feel SO SO bad for you. that's heinous!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    629
    Images
    2
    Yeah, letting him out because he is whining is reinforcing the whining for one. Does he actually potty when you let him out at 4 am? What time do you let him out at night before bed and when do you take his water up?

    Im just lucky. I have a 9 month old who easily sleeps through the night for 10 hours, and doesnt sleep in the crate, and I can get away with leaving water down without him peeing in the house... but for many people, they have to put the water up an hour before bed.

  9. #9
    i don't take up the water, but i close my bedroom door so they don't get out into the rest of the house. i have one male who will be lazy and pee by the front door if he wakes up in the middle of the night and can roam the house. if he knows he's stuck in my room, he'll hold it just fine. (young guys... ARRRGH!)

  10. We are experienced dog trainers, we know that letting him out reinforces his behavior, but thank you for your imput. He doesn't whine because he has to go to the bathroom, he has been potty trained since he was 3 months old. He whines because he gets cold, when he gets into bed he goes under the covers and shivers until he warms up. He doesn't want to get out as much in the summer we've noticed. However, thank you everyone, we have a vet appointment for him to check for any bladder infections. Other than that, we are just $#@!uming that it is the change with the new puppy, and will revert to taking him out on a much more frequent schedule.

    Thanks!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    629
    Images
    2
    Obviously experienced dog trainer doesnt mean you stop learning. Im so sorry I didnt know you were so experienced. You posted you wanted help and anyone that doesnt know you is going to offer as much help as possible if they have learned something themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetxcarleyxescape View Post
    We are experienced dog trainers, we know that letting him out reinforces his behavior, but thank you for your imput. He doesn't whine because he has to go to the bathroom, he has been potty trained since he was 3 months old. He whines because he gets cold, when he gets into bed he goes under the covers and shivers until he warms up. He doesn't want to get out as much in the summer we've noticed. However, thank you everyone, we have a vet appointment for him to check for any bladder infections. Other than that, we are just $#@!uming that it is the change with the new puppy, and will revert to taking him out on a much more frequent schedule.

    Thanks!

  12. Sorry to upset you, it was not my intention. All I meant is that we are well aware of our training faults, we are just guilty of spoiling our babies! :)

Similar Threads

  1. my potty trained puppy all of a sudden not so potty trained?
    By azulx612 in forum Pit Bull Puppy Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 11:59 PM
  2. Puppy,potty alert and peeing in the house
    By Prophecy in forum Training & Behavior
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
  3. no longer potty trained. any ideas?
    By Emrldeyz in forum Training & Behavior
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 08:22 PM
  4. when will she be potty trained
    By cgibb07 in forum Training & Behavior
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

potty trained dogs peeing in house

potty trained dog pees in house

pitbull pees in house

potty trained puppy peeing in house

potty trained dog peeing in house

potty trained dog suddenly peeing house

potty trained dog peeing house again

why would a potty trained dog pee in the house

potty trained puppy started peeing house

why does a potty trained dog pee in the house

potty trained dog started peeing house

pitbull peeing in house

potty trained dog peeing in the house

why do dogs pee in the house when potty trained

why does my potty trained dog pee in the house

pitbull peeing in the housemy pitbull is already pottie trained but he started to pee in the house for some reason8 month old puppy started peeing in house againdog was potty trained now pees in housepotty trained dog now peeing in househow to potty train a dog that pees in the housedog peeing in house after potty trainedwhy dogs pee in the house when potty trainedhow to train a 4 month pit bull dog to syop peeing in the housedog peeing in the house who is potty trainedwhy is my pitbull peeing so muchwhy potty trained dogs pee in housemy dog is potty trained but is now peeing in the housewhy does my pitbull pee so muchpotty trained dog is peeing in house againpotty trained female dog peeing housedog potty trained peeing in housepotty trained dog peeing on bedwhy does my male pitbull pee in the housepottie trained dog suddenly urinates inside house

Bookmarks