Help with gr$#@! allergy

So I got my pup almost 3 months ago and since he has been tearing his skin, mainly on his belly under arms and the like, up because he itched so bad. I took him to the vet and was told it was puppy acne and was given an antibiotic for him. Meds done, it didnt do a single thing for his skin issue. Coincidentally my son then husband then myself all got the flu at which time we had to stop taking Harley on his daily trips to a local school to run around (where we are staying we have no yard so thats what we did to wear out both the dog and our son). Lone behold slowly I started noticing an improvment.. by the time I was over the flu Harleys belly was looking great!

Unfortunaly he still goes to the bathroom in gr$#@! so his feet are still itchy and his lips are a little pink from his sniffing out the right spot but he is far better, his hair is finally growing back on his belly and all his sores are gone. I recently had him in gr$#@! for Christmas pictures of him and my son and by that night he was breaking out on his belly again from all the laying in gr$#@! he did. I got puppy wipes I had left over and scrubed him multiple times over that evening and the next day and by the next night I got it under control again.

My question: Has anyone else had to deal with this? Ive never met a dog whos allergic to gr$#@!, even working in a dog groomer, so it new to me. Any advice or tips? Is there anything we/the vet can do to help him?

I have a friend who's dog is allergic, but it's only slightly irritating so she just gives him benadryl and it helps.

Personally, with as bad as he sounds, I'd eliminate gr$#@! as much as possible. Maybe try one of those "gr$#@! pad" things for him to go to the bathroom on and just make sure to hose him down or use baby wipes after any contact. Little booties for his feet might help too.

Caesar is allergic to gr$#@!. We wipe is feet and belly everytime he comes in during the summertime. If your dog will wear booties, I would try that. I would talk to you vet, I believe there is a pill or something that they can prescribe that will help with itchy allergies.

Thanks.. I hope theres something the vet can give to help him because avoiding gr$#@! now isnt to hard but one day when we no longer live where we currently are it may not be as easy. Thankfully hes a lower energy dog so staying indoors 90% of the time isnt to $#@! him as long as he gets a little outdoor play time a day in which I wipe him down after.

Thanks for the replies

you could also try, if there is one in your area, a in closed tennis court to let him run in instead of the gr$#@!, it would mean less whipeing down and also help with growing nails

O thats a good idea thanks! I used to do that with my friend. We had to play tennis though otherwise they would kick us out but the dogs had fun steeling our balls so it worked. Ill definatly have to try that out with Harley, Thanks! I have to cut his nails all the time since he spends so much time inside to avoid the gr$#@! so thats prefect, not sure why I never thought of that one myself!

no prob I hope it works, you were thinking of how to get him to be able to spend more time in the gr$#@! to burn energy not a place to go that does not have gr$#@! I think hehe

I guess. We went camping in the desert last weekend and he just loved that. So did I for that matter.. not having to worry about wiping him down all the time and keeping an eye on him to keep track of when and what part of him touches the gr$#@!. Im excited now, there are public tennis courts not far away too, and I can let my son run loose too or theres even a play ground by them.. prefect!

Images
    Don't leave your pup outside long enough for it to lay down in the gr$#@!. Mollie has gr$#@! allergies too. Also, you can give Benadryl, one 25mg pill per 25 pounds of pup. A 50lb pup can have 2 pills, a 25lb pup only one pill. You may have to hide it in cheese, yogurt or some other tasty treat in order to get them to take it. ;)

Thanks. How often can the benadryl be given?