Frontline Plus- Scratching/Itching questions

I've had this puppy almost a month, and I swear it didn't start scratching this much until I put that frontline on him. Have my older pup on Comfortis. At first I had her on the frontline as well but it seemed to have the same affect. Switched her to Comfortis and she still scratches a bit but nothing like he does. What can I do to get them both itch free?

I use advantage mulit, my vet told me he has never had any reactions reported with it, and my boy has major allergies but has not had any issues with it

Images
    I've never used frontline plus but have used regular frontline but it stopped working for me a good while ago and also caused itchiness and scratching. I use Barricade now.Cheap,strong and effective, I can't complain about it. Supona is also good but very strong.

TruTexan...one thing to keep in mind is that ANY of these spot on flea treatments is that they do not have an IMMEDIATE effect. Some times, the fleas might need 1-2 hours before they are killed. So, if your pets are especially sensitive to fleas, you might see continued scratching and you will likely see a live flea or two until they encounter enough medication to kill them.

You also appear to live in a flea heavy area (DFW, TX)....have you treated your home for fleas as well?

What about bathing and swimming? Are your pups prone to getting wet (as in a whole body soak)??? That will reduce the effectiveness of these products.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    TruTexan...one thing to keep in mind is that ANY of these spot on flea treatments is that they do not have an IMMEDIATE effect. Some times, the fleas might need 1-2 hours before they are killed. So, if your pets are especially sensitive to fleas, you might see continued scratching and you will likely see a live flea or two until they encounter enough medication to kill them.

You also appear to live in a flea heavy area (DFW, TX)....have you treated your home for fleas as well?

What about bathing and swimming? Are your pups prone to getting wet (as in a whole body soak)??? That will reduce the effectiveness of these products.
    Well, I bought some flea powder you put down and vacuum up. But seeing how my house was recently flooded and my house is in shambles I've held off on that. Plus I may be getting hardwood floors.

My pups barely get wet at all. I use to bathe oldest one twice a month, but heard once a month is better. I've had youngest pup bout a month, and he's been on the Frontline 2 weeks. Vet said not to bathe him 2 day prior and after application, and I did just that. Notice he seems to smell somewhat like urine to me at times, altho he hasn't peed in crate so I don't know. Still getting over a cold so my oversensitive nose is half working right now anyway.

Oldest pup is on the Comfortis or whatever its called. Its about time to give her another one, whereas I heard its strong enough to go every other month. But i think I may give them both the Comfortis every month to see how it helps.

What home treatment do you use indoor/outdoor for fleas/ticks?
    What shampoo do you guys use, and how often do yo bathe them?
    Last edited by Tru Texan; 12-24-2009 at 11:19 AM.

For indoor treatments I highly recommend using an area treatment instead of a fogger. Foggers often fail to reach areas that the flea larva love...like under furniture, tables, etc. Area treatments give you more control over where the product is going and the added bonus is that you can treat individual rooms and not need to leave the house (as you do for foggers).

Be sure to find a home treatment that has an insect growth regulator (IGR) as one of the ingredients. Methoprene is a typical ingredient listing for an IGR. Area treatments that have IGRs will call them out in their label. The IGR helps to stop eggs from hatching and also kills flea larva. The Comfortis and Frontline will help kill adult fleas so the only life stage you need to worry about is the pupae or coccoon stage. Since there is really nothing short of a housefire that will kill this stage, I recommend that you vacuum thoroughly right before applying the area treatment. Then, vacuum daily for 2 weeks and reapply the area treatment on the 14th day. The daily vacuuming seems to stimulate the cocoons to hatch out adults which are then killed by the medications in or on the pets.

And, hardwood floors can be great living spaces for flea larva as well. Tile is about the only thing they don't do well on.

Outdoors is a little trickier...most organophosphate yard treatments have been removed from the market by the EPA. There are some organic type of treatments (nematodes, etc) that might work, but I have no personal experience with them. But, the good news is that if you keep both dogs on flea preventive (topical or oral) all year round, the fleas won't have a chance to reproduce prior to dying, so you won't get another infestation in the house. Now...if your dogs are allergic to flea bites, you may have to look into some sort of professional lawn treatment to reduce the flea population out there.

I hope this helps...have a great holiday!!

Images
    I was going to say one of the two I said before for outside but if Tomcat says that those sort of products are difficult to come by over there it is not much use.
    I've used fire before outside if things got out of control. Seems to work but only really good if there is a huge amount of adult fleas. Also it is very time consuming and the fleas just hop on to your legs to avoid getting scorched.
    Inside don't know as I'm used to tiles.

So if you have hardwood floors is there nothing you can do to treat for fleas?

trutexan...you would have to check the product, but I believe most of the area treatment products can be used on hardwood floors as well. The pesticide will get into the crevices of the hardwood floor and kill the larvae just as well. I would just worry about potential staining (as you would with any carpet).

Flea experts, like Dr. Michael Dryden at Kansas State, recommend using an adulticide to kill the adults on your pets (on all pets...if you have cats that don't go outside, they still need to be treated), using a population control method (like Sentinel Heartworm prevention which also helps stop flea eggs from hatching) and using area treatments with an IGR in them to help stop any infestation in the home.

Once you get the fleas in the house gone, the Frontline and Sentinel should work well to keep your house from becoming infested again.

Thanks for all of the info! I will definitely look into all of it.