1. dog staph infection Please help

Before any one tells me to take my dog to the vet I already have four times with no cure yet. I am looking or so suggestions for a few staph home remedy's that have worked for someone. the vet has given me numerous pills and shots(for the dog) with no sign of the infection going away. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. How old is your dog and how extensive is the infection on the dog's body?

Carla

3. he is one year old, and the infection is the worst is on he's belly. There are irritated red ring like sores in clusters. he looses a little bit of hair where the sores are at and I can tell that they irritate him. I have done my research on staph. i just need some suggestions from someone who has been through this or knows of something that could work.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Indica_the_rednose View Post
    I have done my research on staph. i just need some suggestions from someone who has been through this or knows of something that could work.
    I have been through it and what I do is give the dog a chance to fight it off himself. Antibiotics can eventually make it worse. Give the dog's immune system a chance to identify and fight the Staph off. Antibiotics just "short-circuit" the immune system and prevent it from mounting a defense on it's own.
    Get a medicated shampoo with benzoyl peroxide and use it no more than once a week, maybe every two weeks.
    And then feed a good food with some fresh oil and see if that will work...

I find this works most of the time. The first time Staph appears on a dog should NOT mean going right to antibiotics. Give the dog a chance to fight it off on it's own.

Carla

If you've been treating your dog for a staph infection for a long time I would consider doing a culture to see what type of staphylococcus you're dealing with so that you can be sure your course of treatment is effective. Also to be sure there isn't a secondary infection that needs to be treated as well.

When you culture the infection the laboratory will be able to tell you which antibiotics your bacteria is susceptible to and at what concentration.

Best Wishes,
    Sarah

Images
    If you've been dealing with it for that long, I'd suggest a second opinion from a different vet, but that's just what I would do.

7. thank you all very much. I will go get a 2nd opinion from another vet. I have been giving the medicated baths and I feed him Taste Of The Wild high prairie formula. If there is anything else I could do please tell.

8. Please let me know what you find out as I am having this problem as well. An even bigger problem is when my dog gets wet she breaks out more. She loves to swim so it becomes a big problem! Thanks

Have you tried this home remedy (bleach/water)? One of my dog's had a ringworm and this old school judge told me..
    Hun you can go to the vet and spend money or just do this and you will see the difference in just a few days. I have been breeding for over 30yrs, so its not my first time. She said this can be used for Staph or ringworms. She said get 90%water and 10%bleach dab it on with a cotton ball. I did what she told me and KID YOU NOT, by the second day the ringworm had changed to white- it had died..
    hopefully this tip helps ya out.

10. Yes, is does sound like ringworm the way you described it. They can do a fungal culture or black light test. If it is a true staph infection that does not go away then you may need to switch to a hypoallergenic food and use flea preventative year round. Some of these dogs with skin issues also need a bath every week with a gentle shampoo like the hypoallergenic type. If it is ringworm bleach would kill it but any athlete's foot creams would as well.