Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Cold is Too Cold?

At what temp is it to cold for our pups to go out for walks? Do jackets really help?

how cold is to cold for us? do jackets help us?
    thats how i would decide.

if you can stand being outside then dont worry about the dog itll be fine

Agreed. If you're okay out for a walk, so are they!

I put a sweatshirt on my girl when she starts to shiver, around 0 degrees. But my boy almost never gets cold, we've been out at 15 below, and he is fine as long as he is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Budboy88 View Post
    if you can stand being outside then dont worry about the dog itll be fine
    That's what I'm talkin bout. :cool:

I dont know how the APBT next door stands it he's in the back yard year round no walks (his owner works like a slave) and in the snow(with a good shelter) it's cruel. He's a great looking dog his owner keeps him fed but why he just doesn't let me walk or bike run him with my dog is crazy. I think it's cause he doesn't want me training him to walk on a lead it's a macho thing lol.
    Last edited by Jgo; 12-05-2009 at 08:51 AM.

We live in FL, if it drops below 60, my dogs (me too!) are freezing! My dogs are pansy when it comes to the cold! Now we can go hiking at 100 degrees and be just fine!

I don't think it has ever got cold enough to not go on a walk, but I do put coats on the dogs if they shiver and chatter teeth. I find human fleece vest work really well. I put them on backwards so I can zip them up their backs. Finds ones with draw strings at waist and they work even better! It allows the dogs to move freely, but keeps them warm.

Images
    Agreed... if you are cold, the pup is probably cold. I got some sweaters at Old Navy that are really nice, and last year, I got some at PetCo on clearance after Feb. Bella and Mollie don't stay outside much when it's too cold. But if you're going out, and you grab a coat, unless you freeze in 60 degree weather, grab a jacket for the pup. :p

Beverly, NJ, on the Deleware River, just North of Philadelphia
    My Bubba hates hot weather and loves the cold. If it's cold and snowy he'll jump and run around playing ball like crazy. I'll be cold and i'll go and touch Bubba and he's warm and panting. I wish I could take the cold as well as he does. I have a jacket for him but he backs away from me when I try to put it on him.

Wondered this myself so I observed my pup, he's only 4 months old. Had him out over the weekend when the temperature dipped to 40. He seemed fine, no shivering or anything.

Gotta remember dogs hearts beat faster and they have fur. They can tolerate the cold a lot better than us. But i'd still bring my dog in if it got below freezing.

11. All my dogs seem to handle the cold reasonably well. I try to keep their dog houses fresh with wood shavings, especially in the winter, but they do fine.

Now if it ever dropped down to 0 or below here (which it hasn't so far *knock on wood*), then I'd have to bring them inside, and figure out a way to do that.

This is what Ive been wondering as well. Im from canada and right now where I live (fort mcmurray) its -38 degrees celcius with a windchill. Im trying to look for doggy boots online at the moment. Its way too cold for them to be outside any longer than 2-3 minutes with out boots on. Poor puppy paws :( I dont know the celcius to farhenheit conversion but its freakin freezing outside.

13. Neopaws are nice

Quote Originally Posted by mandym View Post
    This is what Ive been wondering as well. Im from canada and right now where I live (fort mcmurray) its -38 degrees celcius with a windchill. Im trying to look for doggy boots online at the moment. Its way too cold for them to be outside any longer than 2-3 minutes with out boots on. Poor puppy paws :( I dont know the celcius to farhenheit conversion but its freakin freezing outside.
    I believe they are Canadian as well. Mine doesn't care if it's cold, she's in the house all day when I'm at work so she's ecstatic when she gets outside. She was born out West in the mountains so I guess she's a snow dog at heart.

This will take you straight to the boots/shoes:
    https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/dogs...raps-c-39.html

Images
    Mine all come in and are crated once it gets into the 40's. Maxx won't go outside if it's cold out. But he's 13ish yrs old, so he's allowed to stay inside if he doesn't want to go out. I think the cold hurts his joints.

I took my pup out and it was in the 40's and she was shivering almost as soon as we got outside. A few days ago it was a lot colder, below 32F and she acted fine like she didn't want to go back in. I think she was faking. It hasn't snowed yet and she was a spring pup so we'll see how this goes.

16. Oooh, interesting

Quote Originally Posted by charliewat View Post
    I took my pup out and it was in the 40's and she was shivering almost as soon as we got outside. A few days ago it was a lot colder, below 32F and she acted fine like she didn't want to go back in. I think she was faking. It hasn't snowed yet and she was a spring pup so we'll see how this goes.
    Sasha was born in February out West in Idaho and she loves playing in the snow. Makes me wonder if the season they are born has something to do with the temperature ranges they are comfortable with.

Images
    My dogs stay outdoors but even when it dips down into the teens they don't seem to notice. They will play around and run their chains like normal but they don't shiver. I guess they get used to it...

My dogs don't care one bit. Today it was 20 degrees out and they sure were frisky. Java was all bunched up and jumping around like she was so excited she couldn't control herself. I have a horse type blanket for Java that closes in the front and covers her sides and rump that she wears when it's below 20, since she's a bit more leaner. She'll find a reason to pant though, even if it's freezing in my opinion!

Yeah Harley is just like your guys Tiger, it got down to 16 I walked out in a tshirt and boxers to smoke and he came up licked me and sat there for a little while until I finished then went back to the Arctic sleeping bag I set up in his "Den" lol its bedded with straw and he crawls into it and lays down, snug as a bug, granted its closed in with a rubber plastic type flap that lays all the way over the front so wind doesnt get in there but he doesnt seem to mind it when its below freezing I guess they just take on part of our personalities, I dont mind the cold and it doesnt seem like he does either

Right now, it's 0 here. Supposed to be 8 at 8AM. For my dogs, that's too cold to be left outside. I crate the ones that are normally kenneled during the day on cold days. Probably will all winter, supposed to be nasty cold here.

That said, I bundle up and take Judge for a walk or run through the pastures, no problems. Red, eh, she goes out to potty and right back in on the chair or a bed. lol Hobie is normally kenneled during the day and now, he is crated in the house(only reason he's crated is, he takes and steals things and eating them as well as chewing) he's a jerk dog. lol lol

As long as you are warm and they are moving around, shouldn't be an issue.

Courtney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast