Need help with Bull Terrier nipping

Hello although i donot have a pit bull i do have a bull terrier and yes iasked nipping quesions in the bull terrier threads butwould like to get a bit more insight into my 13 week old bull terrier pups biting.
    first question is is it normal that its taking this long for him to understand not to bite? iv had him since 8 weeks and have been training just as long. also he was very well socialized and still is but when family embers pet him he automatically begins biting but only when hes been around us for a few hours when he first wakes up or when he comes inside from going potty and hes really happy to see us he lets us rub him all over and give his tummy a scratch but otherwise its just nipping all the tme.

Images
    My 7 month old still nips. Your pup is young yet, so please read the thread on bite inhibition. Do that with him. At this point my dog is way too old to be mouthing. Im looking for alternative help, a behaviorist at this point. He is not too young to teach some basic obedience and give him treats for good behavior. Never give him attention when he nips. And most of all, dont use any physical forms of punishment for it. I made that mistake with my guy and now I have to work twice as hard to turn it around.

Images

Images
    I've moved your post to it's own thread, hopefully you will get more responses. :)

When he starts to nip, stop playing with him immediately.. once he stops biting, you can start to pet him again, but if he bites, give him a loud, stern "ANNNT!!!!" and stop petting him.... then when he stops biting, start to pet him again. It takes tons of repetition, but eventually he will learn that if he bites, he doesn't get any petting. Also, I would check into enrolling him into Obedience cl$#@!, they will help you a lot on learning how to train him and break him from biting. Also, begin NILIF immediately.. (nothing in life is free). He doesn't get a treat until he sits, he doesn't get any pets or loving, until he sits and is calm. NILIF will help him learn that he isn't getting anything, until he does something to earn it. :)

NILIF training:
    NILIF Training - Training Behavior

yes it worries me becuase not much ive tried has worked and it seems he should be getting it although he has gotten somewhat better he still seems incredably irritated at even being touched. unless its by strangers then hes all for it. ive tried ignoring him getting up and walking away which causes him to bite my feet and legs,ive tried bitter orange which hes learned that if i dont have the bottle of it with me he can bite me becuase even though i leave a layer of it on my hands when i pet him it doesnt affect him after it dries and he bites anyways, ive treid re-directing him with a toys and re-directing with treats stopping the game getting up getting a treat ad teaching him tricks, ive tried time outs where i teether him to a door and walk away he hates that but it still hasnt sunk in why i do it but i keep doing all of theese things anyways. when we go outside for walks hes completly differant he loves to be hugged and kissed and petted but then once hes inside he gets nippy. i know hes just trying to play he had 9 other brothers and sisters and he gets very playful of which i love i wanted him as a playmate for me lol but he refuses to be re-directed in his biteing. Butm not willing to give up trying becuase i do love him hes so smart and funny and especielly when i take him outside for walks hes just a doll hes everything i wanted in a dog except the biting.

Images
    xchairity, Im with you. My dog is very well behaved for everyone else, but he gets mouthy at home. It sounds like you have tried a lot of things. It also can be very frustrating when he is nipping the hand that feeds him. Do you ever try hand feeding him. That is what I do to teach Cruz to have a softer mouth with human hands. But he still mouths my son. Make sure no one else is allowing the mouthing in the home, that makes it even harder for you to nip it in the bud!

i know of some people with a bull terrier and shes an adult now. they were too soft with the dog and now when they pet her, if they pet her too long, or anyone else, she will bite them. if you tried all that stuff and nothing worked, time to try something else. you need to be more firm. these are hard headed dogs, and when you think 'he doesnt understand' its because your signals are not clear enough. when my dog did this as a puppy i dominance pinned him, and waited for him to give up and stop fussing and i let him back up. I also tried bitter yuck and all the things you tried, i learned from experiance. my boy would throw a fit and growl and snarl when i took something from him or tried to grab him to move him or something. he was stubborn and while in his temper tantrum he was not able to listen or focus to re direct, he was in a state that i had to snap him out of, worked for me. man i wish i had video taped him when he was like this, you would have thought he was going to grow up to be totally uncontrollable and vicious as an adult, but hes not. he never puts his mouth on me and hes very respectful.

Im starting to teach him to be more respectful towards me as a leader in alot of things such as going into a room i will block him sometimes without any real reason except to get his attention that what i say goes i dont talk to him or say no i just block him from entering a room untill i welcome him into it or with toys once i have a toy in my hand he cannot take it unless i tell him its ok even if im dangling it in front of his face. which seems to be working but he gets so frustrated at me that he makes the most viscious sounding noises as though he is attacking and grabs my pant leg and stands there so i stare at him with a scowl hewill bark at me but i keep stareing untill he moves away so far it has been helping he is also not allowed into my personal space while i sit on the floor unless i invite him. it has become less often to me only when he becomes exceptionally frustrated or hyper but with my boyfreind,mom,sister and nephew it has not changed, mainly becuase they donot practice theese techniques and just ignore him which he doesnt really seem to care.
    P.s Huckle both of his ears are completly erect now! im really happy.:D

they always look so much more handsome with the ears up! sounds like your teaching him and its getting through, you will learn more as time goes on with a no nonsence policy with these guys! dont get too mad or overly frusterated this is a tuff breed!

Well, since Guinness likes the bitter orange stuff i got at the vets i decided to make my own concoction that i dont have to worry about if he swollows it or not (the stuff i got from the vets office says its poisonous if ingested) so i took an old body spray bottle i had cleaned out (make sure its VERYclean) and make a mixture of pure peppermint or mint extract,pure cinnamon extract/oil and water it down3 parts water to every one part extract taste test it yourself before using it on your dog it should be a strong taste but not burning or painful if it burns then its to strong and needs more water to dilute it. and be very carful not to spray it into the eyes as theese oils/extracts can be very irritating even diluted. oh it deff works! at least for Guinness who will willingly eat tabasco sauce off the floor and pure lemon juice. like i told my sister its like manners in a bottle.