Shredding towels/blankets in crate

My 6mo old is repeatedly shredding up whatever I put in her crate for her to sleep on. I've held off on buying a pricey bed/mattress to put in there, for obvious reasons. So I pile up towels, and tried some old blankets a few times trying to make it extra cozy. No matter what I put in there, I come home to find it shredded. I give her a stuffed kong and a rope knot to chew on and occupy her, along with a few other treats. I cover the crate with a comforter to make it dark and den-like, and turn the TV on low so she doesn't feel completely alone. I'm running out of ideas! I've gone through all my old towels (about 10 now) and three cozy blankets. Are there ways to discourage this? Or will she eventually just grow out of it? :(

BTW - this is during the day when we're at work, not at night. She sleeps great at night.

Images
    Jesse used to do this too.. I found that because I treated her before I left, she would tear up whatever I left in there to get the small pieces of treat that fell out. Once I stopped giving treats, she stopped shredding. Its worth a shot. Give it a try and let me know. :)

Hmm... hadn't thought of that...
    Thanks Alma

Images
    Np! It only took me 5 years to figure it out!

I've had a few blanket shredders. I just stick to old second hand blankets and let them have at it! All the dog blankets look like a pack of rabid moths went at them. lol

Images
    A girl I had once was a horrible chewer plus she would swallow it. So be glad your pup is not doing that. Unfortuntly there was nothing I could do but to put no blankets in the crate for a while. I left toys in there and she was just fine. As she got older and started to learn NO chew I was eventually able to put her blankets back it. I would also go to a Salvation army or thrift store and get blankets or towels. Much cheaper and I didn't care if the dogs riped them up!

How much exercise is she getting a day? Walking her for 20 or 30 min. before you put her in there may help. One of my dogs had seperation anxiety and she couldn't have anything in her crate she would destroy it and then chew to get out of her crate.

Images
    Luckily, Bella hasn't tried this yet... but I've had dogs that do. Gizzmo is horrible about shredding blankets/towels I put in his crate. I just wash them and put the same one back in with him. A couple of weeks ago, my son sent a towel through to be washed that he put in Gizzmo's crate that was shredded.... and it was a huge, thick towel!! I was ticked about that, but I told him not to put another good towel in with him, just wash that one and put it back in there. :rolleyes:

Try not putting treats in the crate, and always use the same one. Or you could just put tons of news paper down, and let him go to town shredding that. :p

Quote Originally Posted by HerWay View Post
    How much exercise is she getting a day? Walking her for 20 or 30 min. before you put her in there may help. One of my dogs had seperation anxiety and she couldn't have anything in her crate she would destroy it and then chew to get out of her crate.
    She gets between 30-60 minutes every week day, (a lot more on weekends) but that's always in the evenings. She's a zombie in the mornings... it's a chore just to get her to eat some breakfast and outside for a potty break. She is NOT a morning dog. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pitgirl17 View Post
    I would also go to a Salvation army or thrift store and get blankets or towels. Much cheaper and I didn't care if the dogs riped them up!
    Great idea!!

Images
    Goodwill is another great place to get cheap blankets or towels. Take them home and wash them good, maybe add a little bleach, and they will be good as new.... to your pup anyway! :p

Try different types of fabrics! My dogs chew up towels but won't mess with sheets or certain blankets. Also, if there are any rips, they are more likely to keep ripping them (especially if there is stuffing in a blanket!)

Quote Originally Posted by renae_nae View Post
    Try different types of fabrics! My dogs chew up towels but won't mess with sheets or certain blankets. Also, if there are any rips, they are more likely to keep ripping them (especially if there is stuffing in a blanket!)

When we first got Lou, I would play tug with old towels, so he would only tear up the towels that I put in the crate. When I realized this, I just stopped putting the towels in there, and never really had a problem since then. A few times, he would take the blankets out, and bring them over to me, like he wanted to play tug. I would just tell him to leave it, and he would. Its been about a good two months.

Simple Solution: Don't leave any towels or blankets in the crate for her.

None of my dogs that I keep in crates get anything until they prove to me they aren't chewers...

My two oldest dogs are the lucky ones...Freedom gets the couch when I'm not home and Freeway gets my bed oh and Bodacious gets the dogs bed in the dogs room... Dixie, Gabriel, and my Foster get the crates...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMySofie View Post
    She gets between 30-60 minutes every week day, (a lot more on weekends) but that's always in the evenings. She's a zombie in the mornings... it's a chore just to get her to eat some breakfast and outside for a potty break. She is NOT a morning dog. :rolleyes:
    LMAO, So is that why my (7 month old) dog does the same thing.... in the morning I cant get him to get off his butt to go pee. At first I thought, well maybe he doesnt have to pee, but wait!.... He hasnt peed in 10 hours, how can he not need to pee. Then when I give him his breakfast, I ask for a sit, he might sit, and when he does, I put the food down... and what does he do? Walks right back to his bed to lay down. I guess my dog just isnt a morning dog either. He is so calm all day long till it gets dark, then watch out, hyper, zoomies, barking, bouncing around, jumping on the couch, just plain nuts! And that is when we are all wiped out here!

Back to the bedding. Funny thing is that my guy would chew on the same blanket we put in his crate, until we put it in there. If he is chewing it, it isnt shredded. I think he likes to suckle anything like that microplush/soft stuffed animal material. A towel has those thread like things, much like carpet that I think she can get hours of fun of unraveling. I would try a blanket that is harder to pull threads and make sure he has good chew toys and food dispensers. Or you can opt for what some others said... no blanket in the crate!