Pooping in Crate... seperation anxiety???

I recently got my first pit (or puppy for that matter) from a breeder. She is very well behaved and quite docile for a 4 month old puppy. My boyfriend and I have been in the process of "crate-training" her since we got her 2 weeks ago.

For the first few days we had no problems while she was in the crate, only a few small pee accidents inside on the way out... but now, all of a sudden, Gemma seems to have developed some kind of poop fetish. She has pooped in her crate for several days in a row now- actually twice just today- and then proceeded to jump around in it, sometimes managing to fling it OUTSIDE of the crate. :( I'm really stuck out on what to do about this.

Somehow I think she may being doing this because she's so upset when my BF or I leave. She's so affectionate and needy for love and attention when we're around- which we give her very much of- I almost have to wonder if this behavior is some kind of temper tantrum.

And let me say that I have been making her eat at least an hour before crating her, and I make certain to stay outside with her for 20 minutes or more before I go inside and finish getting ready for work. The thing is- all I ever see her do outside for me is pee. To this day neither my boyfriend or I have seen her in the act of pooping- we've only found the aftermath. Oh, and one more thing... when she does actually poop in the yard, she chooses to do it on the concrete walk ways and stepping stone instead of the gr$#@!. How can I get her out of that habit?

Someone please help- I'm very new to this and I want to do my best to train my puppy in the healthiest and best way possible. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Dogs arent capable of spite, when you leave shes not thinking 'im going to $#@! everywhere and dance in it and she will have to clean it!' Dogs dont know were going to clean it when we get back its not different to them. sadly us humans cant help but humanize dogs, by giving them human emotions and thats simply not the case, dog's dont really think things through, they react. there brains are rather, simple.

I don't think your dealing with seperation anxiety more so as a pup that need some time. When my pups would poop in there kennel, while i was at work or something, i didn't freak. Eventually they will stop, dogs do not prefer to potty in there 'den' and they consider the kennel there den. they have small bladders and small bowels, it takes them time, but litterally all you really need to do is wait it out, eventually they learn the routine and understand if they hold it, you will take them to release them selves. In the meantime, make sure she is definitly realesing herself before you crate her, and make sure you give her a good amount of exercise before you crate her because that helps them to potty. Get her a kong or a durable chew toy and put some treats in the kong and that should keep her busy. Move her crate somewhere where there is tile, so if she does potty, it will be easier to clean up. Make sure your not over feeding her, and possible consider feeding her much sooner than you have been, to give her more time to empty herself before you crate her. And if your still having problems with her peeing before you get her out, with really small puppie i leashed mine, and carried them out rather quickly. if there big enough, LEASH them and swiftly get to the door, eventually she wont need the leash and will go right to the door, other wise there running and playing, and bam...peeing. lol

good luck and welcome to PBC. :D
    Last edited by Hucklebutt; 11-19-2009 at 02:08 AM.

Images
    If you cant get up earlier to feed her, can you try feeding her less in the morning since you have to crate her right away. Hucklebutt had some good pointers. I agree, dont make a big fuss over the poo in the crate. Reinforcing good behavior with rewards, like treats is the best thing. If you ever can get her to poop outside, make sure you have treats handy to reward her and tell her how she is such a good girl, love her up. Im sure on the weekends you can work harder on this when you are not having to rush off to work. Does someone come home at lunch to let her out? From what I was told a dog needs to eliminate 2-3 hours after they eat, but I havent had this problem. I feed my dog in the morning, I think he poops most of the time when I let him out to pee, crate him for 6 hours, he comes out, pees and poops and then maybe goes again later in the evening after dinner. I wish there was a thread about how often a dog should poo and pee based on a feeding schedule. For as long as i have had my dog, I just constantly would ask him to go out. He is 7 months now and got him around (3-4 months) At first it was nice out so we just left the back door open when we were home. Now it is cold and I hate opening that door when he doesnt want to go. Yesterday I taught him how to ring a bell to get me to open the back door. As I typed this, he has rang it twice. First time he probably had to pee, second time, he thought he heard something outside and I think he wanted to investigate. I swear I have only done two very short training sessions with the bell ringing! He is super smart.

Do you make sure there is stuff in the crate for the pup to do?

this might help you too.

kibble takes 10-12 hours to digest, an adult dog should be able to hold it for a couple more hours, need be.

raw meat takes 7-8 hours to digest.

Images
    Ok Thanks Hucklebutt that helps me too. So when he poops in the morning it is from his evening food. I mean I know that makes sense. What about pee... is it really 10 minutes after they drink a substantial amount of water? That is what a "bad" trainer told me, wondering if he had anything right!

haha that one i do not know, but google it. lol

Images
    You must be the google queen Hucklebutt! I can never find what I am looking for directly when I google and I think Im BRILLIANT! ha ha

What I found was 30 min to an hour.

9. Thanks for this one!