Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking hunting with your pitbull

i know american pit bull terriers were breed for fighting but also hunting skillz to right ? if your dog has good game drive do you think they would be good for hunting rabbits, squirrels, maybe take them ratting just wanted to know if anyone dose any hunting with there dogs

I know of people who use their APBTs to hunt coyotes, and some that hunt squirrels.

i wanna take Zeus rabbit hunting or put him in a smaller rabbit pin just to see what he dose i dont know about coyotes. a pack of coyotes can be deadly !

My squirrel dog

this little girl will hunt squirrels all day long. She climbs trees for them, too.

Images
    What do you plan on doing with the kills?

Well, they ARE terriers, and most terriers were bred to hunt small animals. Prey drive is usually through the roof.

i would eat the rabbit kills or i wouldnt be hunting for the fun of it rabbit is pretty healthy so i have heard ! well at least i know its better for you than steroided up cows lol

8. Quote Originally Posted by bluebrindle View Post
    i know american pit bull terriers were breed for fighting but also hunting skillz to right ? if your dog has good game drive do you think they would be good for hunting rabbits, squirrels, maybe take them ratting just wanted to know if anyone dose any hunting with there dogs
    At one year, Ernie's prey drive is absolutely insane. If he sees a squirrel, he's after it like a shot. That being said, when it comes to killing rats/vermin, I think Ernie might be a tad too big for that kind of work. A JRT, on the other hand, would probably do a better job. Same prey drive, but in a smaller and more agile package.

my milly picked up tracking squirrels very quick. While walking back from the deer stand she picked up a pheasant track took to it and flushed the bird. I wish my buddy who is a pheasant hunting nut who thinks my dog is worthless could have seen that. The other day for $#@!s and giggles I threw a stick that sunk out into a stock pond told her to fetch she swam to where it sunk dove under the water and retrieved it probly make most labs jelous. I know his german shorthair would've said screw you if it could've talked.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebrindle View Post
    i would eat the rabbit kills or i wouldnt be hunting for the fun of it rabbit is pretty healthy so i have heard ! well at least i know its better for you than steroided up cows lol
    Why I asked is unless you're on the dog FAST, the animal is torn to hell. My bro's bulldog/lab grabbed a rabbit and it was torn into three pieces in seconds... Perhaps you could make dog food, but unless you plan on doing extensive scrubbing.... Eh.

Unless the dog would only be retrieving dead critters... Though they might get excited and give it a good shake.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

As overpopulated as rabbits and squirrels/rats are, I see no problem in taking them out in m$#@! numbers as long as you use it for something... Whether you eat it or use it for the dogs.

11. Most hunting in NZ requires a pack of dogs which makes most apbt completely unsuitable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Most hunting in NZ requires a pack of dogs which makes most apbt completely unsuitable.
    That wouldn't apply to one of private property, would it?

It depends on the dog and even those dogs that do show an aptitude for it still need to be trained.

This isn't a breed that just pops out knowing how to hunt. In fact, even the hunting breeds still need proper training and oversight.

If you don't know what you're doing, it's best to find a mentor and start training from the very beginning on order to make sure you don't end up with a lost or dead dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned View Post
    Why I asked is unless you're on the dog FAST, the animal is torn to hell. My bro's bulldog/lab grabbed a rabbit and it was torn into three pieces in seconds... Perhaps you could make dog food, but unless you plan on doing extensive scrubbing.... Eh.

Unless the dog would only be retrieving dead critters... Though they might get excited and give it a good shake.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

As overpopulated as rabbits and squirrels/rats are, I see no problem in taking them out in m$#@! numbers as long as you use it for something... Whether you eat it or use it for the dogs.

see i would like to get it and maybe bite it one good time then bring it to me but lol i see what ur talking about he might just destroy it no good

I've never had a dog capable of hunting small game without destroying it to the point where human consumption is no longer a possibility (i.e. rabbits).

16. Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    I've never had a dog capable of hunting small game without destroying it to the point where human consumption is no longer a possibility (i.e. rabbits).
    Stan said he tried squirrel hunting with Notch once. He was with his sons. He told the boys, they could cook it up for supper. He shot the squirrel, when it fell out of the tree, Notch grabbed it up and crunched it so much, Stan said they couldn't eat it. lol.

when im walking him in the wood off leash even if he is to see sometime he will look at me for the go ahead i just want to run up a rabbit i havent had the chance yet i think if call him when he has the catch i can stop him from destroying the meet but im not sure lol

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jzg2U0KY4"]YouTube- Border Terrier Rabbiting[/ame] check out this video looks like a staffy mix what do you think

Beverly, NJ, on the Deleware River, just North of Philadelphia
    I take my APBT for walks in the woods regularly and he's a natural born hunter. He tracks, stalks and kills groundhogs and then buries them. He chases deer around the woods. He gave up chasing rabbits for awhile but started up again this year and I watched him chase one down recently and he caught it. It was something to see. Here he is with a groundhog.

where can u find ground hogs at

20. Usually open fields that still have plenty of overgrown gr$#@!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast