1. Spaying, Neutering and Aggression?

If this has been asked before sorry. I am one of the few that believes that you should spay and neuter a dog after it is 18 months old if you can I understand sometimes you can not wait and I respect that. I just believe you should let the dog finish growing. I am not up for debateing this my mind is made up on that issue. However I was told that if you own an agressive breed of dog that spaying or neutering a dog early can prevent them from becoming too aggressive. Have any of you found this to be true with your APBT's? Also all my dogs are fixed but Matilda and I will be getting her spayed. I am planing on having this done when she turns 18 months old but I do want to learn more about this. I am not a breeder and I can $#@!ure you no male will get to her and if one did get to her I would have her spayed the next day. So with that said will spaying a dog early make them less aggressive as they mature?

Quote Originally Posted by ~D~ View Post
    I was told that if you own an agressive breed of dog that spaying or neutering a dog early can prevent them from becoming too aggressive.
    I don't have much experience to go off of. Just Debo who was neutered around 18 months. I think it just really depends on the individual dog & where their aggression is coming from. Debo actually was quite dog tolerant before 18 months, but became less & less tolerant as time went on. But I really don't think it had anything to do w/ neutering; that just coincided w/ him maturing.

What type of aggression are you speaking of?

I think it helps DA but not human aggression (human aggression is the result of a genetically unsound dog).

Unless your getting a dog from a rescue, I prefer to wait until 12 months for health reasons.

However, if the dog is HA, it should be altered so there's 0% chance of any offspring.

This is kind of a complicated topic and there are many opinions on it.
    In my own experience, altering a dog will stop or reduce certain behaviors. In males, obviously, it will curb breeding aggression...the specific aggression with other male dogs over a female in heat, will reduce their urge to wander, and the obnoxious behavior when there's a female in heat within a mile of them. With females, you won't have to worry about nesting behaviors (usually) and the menstrual mood swings.
    However, when you're talking about genetic dog aggression, no, I don't think altering them changed it in the least. In the APBT, dog aggression is genetic , spawning from the brain, and not hormonal, so altering them has no effect.

6. She is showing a little DA with strange dogs. I took her to my brother-in-law house and they have a Rottweiler a month younger and Matilda tried to jump her. I had her on a leash so I just put her back in the car. However I do not think she would have done that if the Rottweiler would have left her alone the rottweiler was not on a leash. This was her first time showing DA then 2 days later Matilda jumped Peek-A-Boo my toy poodle and pinned her down with her mouth over her neck and growled over a chew. I was in the room with them both. Normally they are best friends. I do not think she was going to hurt Peek-A-Boo I think she was telling her to leave the chew alone very loud. It did make me uneasy.

Quote Originally Posted by ~D~ View Post
    Matilda jumped Peek-A-Boo my toy poodle and pinned her down with her mouth over her neck and growled over a chew. I was in the room with them both. Normally they are best friends. I do not think she was going to hurt Peek-A-Boo I think she was telling her to leave the chew alone very loud. It did make me uneasy.
    I would suggest separating them when there are high value treats around. Much better to prevent an incident than having to clean up after one.

8. Oh I agree 100% I was sitting here with Pee-A-Boo on the chair and my son knocked on the door and dogs barking and running around everywhere and Peek-A-Boo went for the chew that Matilda had. She did not want a chew at all the only reason Pee-A-Boo takes chews is to just bother the other dogs. Pee-A-Boo is a poodle but she is DA and is an alpha dog I have to stay on her all the time. I am glad she is not a pit bull. However I love her so much and I do not want her to die over a chew or anything but she is a problem. She is more aggressive in nature than Matilda is but her size is so small that it makes it look like less of a problem.

Images
    females are best spayed before their first heat, and males after 2 years (when they are fully mature) if your concerned about health issues.
    but it won't reduce DA.
    Galadriel made an excellent post