Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Can two male pitbulls get along

Okay I have two pitbulls one is a year and half and my other is four months old. I was wondering if I would have problems with them later on and they arent fixed yet.

Images
    DA is typical with this breed. There are a ton of stickys that deal with this sort of question. Just go the the Training and Behavior Section and look at the threads at the top. You'll find TONS of info.

It is a VERY REAL possiblity...get them neutered.

MOST LIKELY POSSIBILITY:
    They WILL NOT get along...at all.

LESS LIKELY POSSIBILITY:
    They will get along for the most part...with a few minor confrontations from time to time (this is how my two males are with each other). We've had a few incidents...but it has never devolved into an all-out knock down drag out fight.

LEAST LIKELY POSSIBILITY:
    They will get along with ZERO issues...like the animals in a Disney Movie This is R-A-R-E.

A lot of this will depend a bit on what makes up the dogs. Are we dealing with game-bred APBT's, AmStaffs, Ambullies, or mixes? Dog aggression is quite common with ALL of them...but obviously a game-bred APBT is more prone to dog aggression than an AmStaff/Lab mix...

Are you prepared for the worst-case scenario and what comes along with it (keeping the dogs seperated, through crate and rotate or other means)?

4. I use to live my boyfriend and he has a male pitbull my pitbull was raised around and we didnt have any problems. But those two dogs are really dog friendly. My Bronx is alittle food agressive when any dogs get into his food. Ceaser on the other hand just kinda watches them hes the older one. I have noticed sometimes that Ceaser tries to bully Bronx alittle. I was planning on getting them both fixed at the same time. My vet said if i got them fixed that i might not have a problem.

Oh yeah my pitbulls are not regis$#@! pitbull all I know is they are City Chocolate and Blue Pit.

They're both still puppies. DA can turn on as late as 3 or 4 years and getting them neutered will help curb territorial and breeding aggression, but NOT dog aggression...it's genetic, not hormonal. Get them both used to being in crates as you'll probably have to start crating and rotating in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by KiraDnote View Post
    My vet said if i got them fixed that i might not have a problem.
    You MIGHT not...but then again, my neutered male is the more agressive of my two...it all really boils down to the individual dog's personality...

Either way, getting them both fixed ASAP is probably your best bet...

all I know is they are City Chocolate and Blue Pit.
    One is 'city chocolate' and one is 'blue pit'? Are these supposed to specific lines of dogs? Or are you refering to their colors?

7. What will the rotating help me with? Umm.... Im not sure on that if its color or what. WOW I sound like a bad dog owner, I got my two pits from a friend of my x boyfriend and I dont think the guy knows what hes got. I know a few pitbull owners in my area and they say Ceaser for a pitbull has a really nice temperment Im a Novice at owning pitbulls.
    Last edited by KiraDnote; 10-29-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Images
    Crate and Rotate

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Managing a multi dog home

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Managing a Multi-Dog Household by PNWPBR
    Responsible uses of a Breakstick

What will the rotating help me with? Umm.... Im not sure on that if its color or what. WOW I sound like a bad dog owner, I got my two pits from a friend of my x boyfriend and I dont think the guy knows what hes got. I know a few pitbull owners in my area and they say Ceaser for a pitbull has a really nice temperment Im a Novice at owning pitbulls.
    Nope...not a bad owner...just someone who has yet to educate themselves on the breed(s). We've all been there at some point, but recognizing that you DON'T know it all is the first step and honestly speaks volumes about you as a person.

Many times folks with your level of experience will come here and try and 'educate' our more knowledgable members.

Just soak in everything you can from this site (start with the links above) and ask questions...you'll get it.

Images

You like female dogs. Boy dogs are gross, they lift their legs and mark everything! They tend to have that icky "lipstick" showing when they are happy and they hump. Ewwwwwwwww! Forget that, you are going to adopt another female right?

WRONG!

Female/female pairings and male/male pairings are not the thing to do when owning an American Pit Bull Terrier. This breed was historically bred and used to fight other dogs, and to make the fight fair, the dog was of the same sex. Dog aggression is normal and to be expected with this breed, but it is more apparant in a same-sex pairing.

While some people try matching a female APBT with a female dog of an opposite breed, they usually come to find out the end result is the same; same-sex is not a good idea.

Many people ask us why we do not do same-sex adoptions, so here it is in black and white. Because it simply does not work.

11. I know the one thing that has worked so far for me is working with my dogs 15 to 20mins a day and I do watch Ceaser Millan when I can and some of his methods do work for me, But Bronx is acting like he doesnt want to listen and likes to cause trouble sometimes, hes more of the hard headed one lol. Thanks for all the info on the dogs also my mom who i do live with has two small dogs of her own and we rotate them with my two.

I have two intact males, they are pretty much separate from each other at all times, even though they have never been aggressive towards each other, but i love both of them and not going to take a chance, besides they don't need each other, they only need me. I let them interact briefly, that too only if they are calm, for the most part the most they are allowed is only sniff each other in their crates.

13. wow and here I was letting my two stay out together in my house when I leave the food and toys are picked up. Thanks for the tip.

wow and here I was letting my two stay out together in my house when I leave the food and toys are picked up. Thanks for the tip.
    Yeah...change that. Mine get along well for the most part, but I DO NOT EVER leave them together unsupervised.

Images
    Together?...ALWAYS SUPERVISED

You Leave?...SECURELY SEPARATE

They want to be friends?...UNTIL THEY DON'T

Your Job?...TO KEEP THEM SAFE INCLUDING FROM EACH OTHER

Fixing them will solve this issue?...NEUTERING IS NOT A FORM OF TRAINING...no guarantee

Who is the Boss?...YOU

16. Heres what I have planned when it gets spring in my area. Putting one of them on thier 30ft Tie out and letting the other run in the fenced in Dog Run its like 60foot run.

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

Thank You everyone on helping me out with my boys. What I learned here today is no more leaving my dogs out together and to get both of them fixed and watch for signs of them not getting along and if that happens Ill have to crate and rotate them.

Images

18. I own two unnuetered males, both brothers, both almost 4 years old, since they were raised together they have NEVER had an issue. However-therre is a possibility that DA will cause issues at some point. be careful, and expect anything.

19. None of my males get along anymore.

For a while there, all the male dogs(the boys: Hawken, Magnus, and Morgan) were very submissive toward Notch, but that changed big time, so, the males are kept away from each other. This happened right around the time, the boys turned two.

Keep in mind with any breed, same sex aggression is common.

20. I have a year and a half old male pitbull, been neutered since 8 weeks of age. I got him when he was about 10 to 12 weeks old. He has been raised around cats, and other dogs of all sizes. He hasn`t shown any animal aggression even when meeting new animals. I am getting another male pitbull puppy( 8 weeks old) in less than 2 weeks. I am wondering if bringing this new puppy into the family will be okay ? I know neutering doesn`t fix problems but I do plan on having the puppy neutered at about 6 months of age once he is fully vaccinated. I know I should never leave the two dogs unsupervised under any circumstances. My dog I have now is crate trained, he`s in the crate during the night and when we no one is home, which isnt very often. I am HOPING to have the two live peacefully and happily together and be friends. Are there any suggestions anyone has that could help me try to make this possible ? How should they be introduced ? My dog I have now is well behaved. Listens well, knows I am the boss. He seems pretty submissive as of now. I know by readying that dog aggression doesn`t usually set in until about 2 years of age, but could it help if I make sure to keep socializing him with other dogs. He plays with my cousins dogs a lot. They have two females. One is spayed the other isnt and one male who is not neutered and there has never been an issue. All my dog wants to do is run and play. My aunt who I share a duplex with also has two small dogs a 2lb chihuahua who crazily is my dogs best friend lol and a 15 lb shih tzu. The shih tzu believe it or not is the boss of all the dogs. My pitbull is very submissive towards him and really just wants to play. We also have two cats who my pitbull absolutely LOVES. He`s a very fun loving easy going dog. He would rather just run and play and if the other animals dont want to he just goes off and plays on his own. I know to never trust a pitbull not to fight because sometimes it happens. I have heard a lot of two males living in the same house without issues. I hear a lot of females together being a problem though. I just want to make this a happy experience and hope the two become life long friends. So any suggestions on how to try to make things go smoothly and introducing them etc. Should both be greeted at the same time, go out at the same time, etc. any help is greatly appreciated ! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast