Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Russian Mastiff Bear Caucasian Ovcharka

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtgQgbKYzQs"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

WoW was all I could say.

That... was amazing. That Central asian ovcharka was friggin awesome!

Images
    Like you show a video of the COs when I am already completely and madly in love with them.

Images
    Love them... But they are certainly not a breed for many at all..

Images
    Thank you... If I ever live where I have some privacy, even a few acres, there are a few dogs I'd like to own... These beasties are some of my favorites, but I could not handle one here, and I haven;t done a ton of research on them.

7. All I can say is wow. Those are some powerful dogs.

I'm inviting an internet friend who owns and works true COs to this site. :)

Images
    Cool... I'd love for a CO owner to come here. I just love these pups...

10. I have had 2 of these guys ,both were rescued at 7& 8 months had them 10 yrs and 7 years miss them both, saving for another one from russia hopefully this summer it will happen, one word of thought ,you don't have any clue on power untill you see it unfold with your own eyes, it is unbelieveable untill you see it or experience it.

There is no way that I could own a dog like that. Who knows, maybe in 20 years. But definitely not in this decade. Too much dog for me. And I have no qualms about admitting it. I'll just have to love the from afar. :o

CO's are definitely strong dogs. These dogs are proverbial when it comes to courage and heart. Many CAOs, Ovtscharkas, and other volkodavs are being used in contests in Russia against dogs such as the apbt and bull terrier to GSDs, bandogges, and imported rotties. These dogs are definitely powerhouses and I'm told can give an apbt a run for its money. The apbt is 5 x faster, but the CAO's are 5 x strong from an account I read on a russian website. I'm told if the CAO's were to get a hold of the apbt, its over for him. However, apbts definitely have more intelligence when it comes to this type of "sport" and tends to go for ear holds and attempt to get at the rear. I don't condone this type of sport, nor do I measure a dog's worth by comparing him towards the apbt in such a "sport" but one should be impressed that these dogs bred for guarding can give an apbt, a breed bred for this "sport," a run for its money in its specific use.

13. They are definitely big and hairy, but they didn't seem very committed from the video. A decent fila would put on a better show.

Images
    I don't think I've ever actually seen a dog that I didn't like...

but that said; I can't see myself ever owning a CO. At the risk of sounding really petty...

They are way too hairy to have in bed with me; plus I'd have to get a California King...so you are just talking a huge commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaLove View Post
    Too much dog for me. And I have no qualms about admitting it. I'll just have to love the from afar. :o
    Agreed! I heard from a friend of mine in Charlotte who trains high-energy/high-drive/misunderstood dogs that Ovcharkas are starting to gain popularity with folks that have no business owning them in his area. They like the idea of a "powerful" and "highly protective" dog. I just HOPE that BYBers don't pop up out of nowhere. I HOPE that responsible breeders keep their purchase prices on the high end to prevent BYBers because Ovcharkas are one breed that definitely does NOT need indiscriminate breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernThistle View Post
    Agreed! I heard from a friend of mine in Charlotte who trains high-energy/high-drive/misunderstood dogs that Ovcharkas are starting to gain popularity with folks that have no business owning them in his area. They like the idea of a "powerful" and "highly protective" dog. I just HOPE that BYBers don't pop up out of nowhere. I HOPE that responsible breeders keep their purchase prices on the high end to prevent BYBers because Ovcharkas are one breed that definitely does NOT need indiscriminate breeding.
    I hope the breeders of these dogs close their circles. These dogs are guardian bears, one of the guys I knew back in Ukraine owned a couple, if you think APBT's are not for everyone, these dogs are only for a selective few.

i'd own one... they remind me of Buke and Woodchuck but with lots more fur.
    the junkyard dogs we've always had are huge, powerful, aggressive, and super dominant and hard. i think i'd be up to the task, just as long as i could provide the dog with a job to do.

......... except more energetic than woodchuck....

Images
    The white ones look like Polar Bears. And the guy in the puffy suit has some serious balls, I'd be running for my life if I saw one of those dogs coming at me.

lol the only thing I think when I see a dog like that is LIABILITY.

I like a nice protective dog but that's a little too much for me. If anyone is coming to my house and I need to pull that out on them, I need to clean some things up in my life or just get a really big gun.

Quote Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
    I hope the breeders of these dogs close their circles. These dogs are guardian bears, one of the guys I knew back in Ukraine owned a couple, if you think APBT's are not for everyone, these dogs are only for a selective few.
    That was my point.

I saw something on Animal Planet awhile ago about them, and that was enough for me to say, "I could never handle one of those dogs." They interviewed a breeder as well as an owner. The owner was an experienced working dog owner, but needed something more protective than a German Shepherd or Rottweiler. Someone suggested an Ovcharka, and he got one. Now he has a 150+ (or however much) lbs. male neutered Ovcharka he can't even walk on a leash. Someone walks by their house on the sidewalk, and the dog goes ballistic. The owner had no problem saying, "I've been dragged several feet down the road trying to walk my dog."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast