Free ‘Snip And Chip’ For Pit Bulls

POSTED: 3:16 pm EDT October 13, 2009
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — As “Pit Bull Awareness Day” nears, the Kentucky Humane Society will offer free services to pit bull owners.

In honor of that day (Oct. 24), the Humane Society’s S.N.I.P. Clinic will host a “Snip & Chip” promotion to encourage pit bull owners to spay and neuter their dogs due to the breed’s overpopulation problem. The first 100 pit bulls or pit bull mixes with scheduled appointments will be spayed or neutered and microchipped for free Oct. 19-22.

According to the Humane Society of the United States, approximately 6 to 8 million cats and dogs enter animal shelters every year and, on average, 30 percent of the surrendered canines are pit bulls or pit bull mixes.

“There is an overpopulation of pit bulls in Louisville and surrounding areas,” said Lindsy Wallace, the KHS Animal Welfare Director who helped spearhead the S.N.I.P. Clinic. “Pit bulls actually have much larger litters than other dog breeds and can birth up to 13 to 14 puppies at a time, which is more than double the average litter size by other canines.”

Appointments are required in advance and can be made by calling (502) 636-FIX1 (3491). In addition to low-cost spay/neuter, the S.N.I.P. Clinic also offers low-cost vaccinations and microchipping at the time of surgery, as well as financial aid and a regional transport program. Surgery prices range from $35 to $65.

For more information, click here.

Free 'Snip And Chip' For Pit Bulls - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville