Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Temperament change after spay/neuter?

I am constantly getting mixed answers when it comes to this question from owners and from professionals as well, so I would like some feedback from other APBT owners...

Has spaying/neutering your APBT had any change in their temperament?

I just got my 12 month old female spayed, so I am curious...

none here after Daisy was spayed, but she was spayed early, like at 4 or 5 months old. Even though spay/neutering can in some cases sway temperment problems, I think the chances of it happening are 50/50 at best.

Yes Josie went from being a dominant dog to a submissive dog after being fixed.

Images
    I guess the age of your dog when they are fixed is a factor. Because I got her spayed at 12 months, I feel there is a chance of her being a bit more mellow...?

Age may play a role. Josie was 2 when we fixed her. I like her new attitude i must say lol..

Images
    I think it depends on the individual dog to be honest and their activity level. :)

None of my dogs have been more mellow since having them fixed.

Images
    Most of mine were all spayed/neutered before one year of age, but even with the ones that were older than that, I haven't noticed any changes in their behavior at all. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Krista View Post
    I think it depends on the individual dog to be honest and their activity level. :)

Krista..Thats another change that came about with Josie. She used to want to go go go but now not so much. She became lazy and very mellow. She also used to LOVE puppies now she doesn't even acknowledge babies..poor miley wants so much to play with her and Josie gets up and ignores her every time..poor miley lol

There was no change in behavior at all when spaying or neutering any of my dogs.

No difference at all in Nero, he was fixed at about a year old. I was hoping it would calm him down and slow his metabolism but no such luck. No difference in an adult rat terrier (foster dog) after neuter either.

I knew of a saint bernard who was totally nuts after he was neutered...it was only a matter of time after he was fixed, where he viciously attacked any intact male dog he came across.

3 years old when I got mine spayed..After the initial procedure..There were 3 instances were she urinated on the couch once and the bed twice..totally unlike her..and hasn't happened since(been over a year ago) Maybe she was just "Pissed" i took her to the vet???

The only part of the temperament that changed in any of my dogs was that part driven by the instinctual drive to reproduce. Other than that, I never noticed a change in any dog I ever had fixed.

In fact, if we know off-hand that a potential catchdog will never be bred, we will alter them which makes them able to hunt every day year round.

Never has altering an animal had a negative impact on their temperament.

I wonder why altering my dog brought a whole lot of personality altering?

Images
    I have moved your thread into the HEALTH/NUTRITIONAL CARE forum in hopes you get more replies to your question. :)

16. Tess didn't change a bit after being spayed.

17. Quote Originally Posted by JosiesMama View Post
    I wonder why altering my dog brought a whole lot of personality altering?

I wonder if it was the age that she was spayed, it maybe have been more to do with her maturing than the actual act of spaying her.

None of my dogs changed one bit. I wanted Riley to be less annoying and I wanted Bubba to be more dog friendly(gotta love myths about neutering right:o). Neither happened, Riley's still a PITA and Bubba continues on hating dogs :)

The only dog I ever noticed anything weird with was Venus. She started marking like a male dog, weirdly peeing on stuff. She'd even lift her leg a bit when doing it. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jillibean87 View Post
    I wonder if it was the age that she was spayed, it maybe have been more to do with her maturing than the actual act of spaying her.

None of my dogs changed one bit. I wanted Riley to be less annoying and I wanted Bubba to be more dog friendly(gotta love myths about neutering right:o). Neither happened, Riley's still a PITA and Bubba continues on hating dogs :)
    That could be on some of the change but I kid you not. I took her in as the boss of the house and brought her home as the furthest from that. She changed from day one..

Quote Originally Posted by Krista View Post

I agree...each dog is their own individual. Bodacious just recently got neutered and he's 2 yrs old. Their is No changes in him he's the same ole Bodacious. I had his sister spayed at a younger age and didn't notice any change in her either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast