Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Puppy refused to eat, died after 3 days...

My friend adopted a 2 months old JRT puppy named Kelly. He spent most of the time with her and last week he went back to college leaving the puppy with his family, who are obviously also taking care of the puppy. Well, Kelly refused to eat and only ate a little here and then. What might be the cause? Depression? Separation anxiety?

My friend's mom tried everything to reduce the stress and tried feeding her. But unfortunately she died after 3 days being in that state.

Her vet visits are alright. She got her dewormer and already vaccinated. She was in a bad state when she first got adopted but slowly regaining health under my friend's care. She had low blood pressure but vet said she's gonna be alright.

Now, we're really sad and hadn't a clue why she died. Had anyone experienced anything like it?

i'm not a vet, but i find it hard to believe a dog would die after not eating for 3 days. maybe some other underlying health issue?

Quote Originally Posted by kezgin View Post
    i'm not a vet, but i find it hard to believe a dog would die after not eating for 3 days. maybe some other underlying health issue?
    I agree.

4. Yeah, I know. We didn't really get anything more than just "the pup died after a few days and is buried" from his parents. It's so upsetting.

Underlying issue....most def.

6. I agree with everyone else. I think there was some underlying issues.

RIP and run free.

Yep, I have to agree it had to be something else.

A healthy dog will not starve itself. Plus three days does seem short.

Sorry to hear.

Dogs can be picky about their food. Were they trying to feed her the same thing? Was her mouth checked to make sure eating wasn't painful?

A dog won't starve to death in three days. A healthy dog WILL eat before it starves to death, if food is available.

There's WAY more to this story.. I hope you're able to find something out :(

9. Where was the puppy from? If it's just from like Scamps then there's obviously something wrong with it, but if it's from a reputable breeder...hmm..

Images
    I've moved your thread to the Health/Nutritional Care forum in hopes you get more replies to your questions. :)

I find it very curious that an 8wk. old puppy died after not eating for 3 days.
    When the pup stopped eating, did they seek medical care for it ?
    Was there any vomiting/diarrhea ?

Hard to say without further information....

I will say that the puppy did not die from separation anxiety or missing your friend (heart break), that's putting human emotions on a dog. ;)

Not to be rude but the family is obviously keeping something about it...

I wonder if it got hypoglycemia. Now that could make it die very quickly. The fact that the pup wasn't eating this could be a very real possiblility.

I wanted to add if this ever happens again. A pup not eating and it is healthy in all ways. Feed the pup cooked chicken, eggs, plain yogurt, vegetables..ect..anything he/she will eat. Eating something is better then nothing.

Because Kelly started regaining health under your friend's care, that kind of rules out parvo, but that is the only thing I've seen end a puppy's life so quickly. Also, was he around any kind of poison? Weed and bug killers are silent but deadly and some of the pellets look like pet food.

parvo , parvo , parvo !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Pepper Lady View Post
    Because Kelly started regaining health under your friend's care, that kind of rules out parvo, but that is the only thing I've seen end a puppy's life so quickly. Also, was he around any kind of poison? Weed and bug killers are silent but deadly and some of the pellets look like pet food.
    Hypoglycemia takes them quicker than parvo.

sounds like parvo 2 me

Did they ever take the dog into the vet's after they adopted it? Adopted dogs often come riddled with intestinal worms/parasites and some are even incubating parvo and distemper. It all depends on the shelter's policy of treating and vaccinating its animals.

I agree with those that said this dog had something else going on. A healthy dog, even a puppy, will not die within a mere 3 days of not eating.

Quote Originally Posted by JosiesMama View Post
    Hypoglycemia takes them quicker than parvo.
    i thought Hypoglycemia is a condition of parvo ?? hmm idk ? i know this i just found out 4 dogs outa the liter i got my pup from had parvo 2 died & 1 showed no symtoms just died didnt eat for like 2-3 days looked fine & died , im told parvo is bad this year ...idk i owned lots of dogs/pups never had a parvo problem untill now , my pup made it through it a full recovery i did all the care myself what a job that was ..

Images
    I'm thinking there was something underlying too. Did the pup see a vet? I always recommend that you take a pup as soon as possible after getting it... when I get one, I usually have it at the vets office within 3-5 days after bringing it home. We adopted Bella on a Saturday, and had her first vet visit the next Saturday only because the was as soon as we could get her in to see the vet. Otherwise, I would have had her at the vet Tuesday or Wednesday after we adopted her.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
    i thought Hypoglycemia is a condition of parvo ?? hmm idk ? i know this i just found out 4 dogs outa the liter i got my pup from had parvo 2 died & 1 showed no symtoms just died didnt eat for like 2-3 days looked fine & died , im told parvo is bad this year ...idk i owned lots of dogs/pups never had a parvo problem untill now , my pup made it through it a full recovery i did all the care myself what a job that was ..
    Hypoglycemia, also called low blood glucose or low blood sugar, occurs when blood glucose drops below normal levels. Glucose, an important source of energy for the body, comes from food. Carbohydrates are the main dietary source of glucose. Rice, potatoes, bread, tortillas, cereal, milk, fruit, and sweets are all carbohydrate-rich foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast