Comfortis...long post (sorry!)

I have posted before about the flea problem we have been having. Poor West has been so miserable. A little background: we have treated our yard, have cleaned from top to bottom on the inside. West gets a bath once a week in an oatmeal flea/tick shampoo. (We even tried Dawn dish soap once because he had sooo many on him ) And he has had 3 doses of Frontline. We still pick close to 30 off him a night! He itches and chews all the time, but the little trooper never whines about it. Not a peep comes out his mouth. It has gotten so bad he has started loosing the hair on his butt/tail area.

So, at wits end, on Saturday we took him to the vet. She looked him over and said it was obvious the Frontline just wasn't working anymore. Apparently some fleas can become immune to it! She said we have been doing everything right as far as cleaning and treating him and the yard.

She then started telling us about a new medication that is FDA approved that they have been using for just a few months. However in the south they have been using for over 2 years. Because they pretty much have fleas year round. And they have seen a vast improvement that this medication, Comfortis, is pretty much the only thing the vets use now.

So Comfortis, for those who do not know is a monthly pill, beef flavored they take with a meal. And what it does is within the first 1/2 hour it kills off most of the adult fleas. It attackes their nervous system. Within 24 hours there should be no sign of adult fleas at all. *This is perfectly safe for the dogs, the effects the medicine has on fleas, does not effect the dogs.* If the effected adult flea lays eggs after biting, those eggs will not develop into larva or adults. The eggs become too brittle. And because it stays in the dogs system for a whole month, any eggs laid before treatment, when they hatch and bite they too will die. One side effect they have seen is vomiting after the pill is ingested and also diarrhea.

We decided to try this with West because he was just so miserable. We gave it to him with his dinner on Saturday night. Along with a Benadryl to ease his itching. Sunday morning I woke to 2 piles of diarrhea and West in the act of leaving another nice present for me. He looked so pitiful, you could tell he just didnít feel good at all. I went to his bed, and saw a glorious site! I am not joking, there were probably about 40 dead fleas laying in his bed!! He does sleep with us at times during the night, and my husband woke up, and saw another about 15 on our covers. (Gross I know ) We were so excited to see that the medicine was working! We looked him over, and did not see one flea on him.

Now I am not that naive to think he was cleared 100%, but I do believe it did kill most if not all the adults. And he wasn't as itchy as he has been. His diarrhea had stopped by that evening, and he seemed so much happier. I can handle cleaning up a little diarrhea for a day if it means he will be relieved from those nasty fleas.

Has anyone else used this? Especially those of you from down South. I am curious to see how others have faired from it.

I have used it with great success as well. I am in Florida and the fleas are brutal. Frontline and Advantage quit working for me also.

That's awesome!! I was so happy to see it was doing what the vet said it would do.

How long have you been using it?

I started using it in October so almost a year now. It kills the adult fleas really fast!

That is very promising. :D Did Bird have any side effects with it at all?

Images
    Yup, we use it. It's great! I gave it to Sweetie as directed the first two months and now skip every other month and we still don*t have a single flea. Sweetie didn't have the green apple quick step but her tummy did get sick about 12 hours later I recall. She's fine with it now though.

Images
    I've had frontline stop working for me on both fleas and ticks.Now I use supona,dont know if you can get over there.And i also use barricade.Both strong but supona will kill cats if they go near it to inhale, lick etc

Yay!! I am feeling very good about this now! Thank you all! I hate seeing him so uncomfortable.

"...green apple quick step..."! That made me giggle! Halfway through the day he came up to me with a look on his face like "My bum is on fire mama!" I just cuddled him and told him what a good boy he is being. :p

Quote Originally Posted by orionzmom View Post
    That is very promising. :D Did Bird have any side effects with it at all?

No, none of the dogs had any side effects. I stopped using it monthly because I wanted to try a more natural approach. Two of my dogs suffer from flea allergy dermatitis so if I see a single flea they will be going back on it.

you should use a soap-free/hypoallergenic shampoo, especially if you are using a topical flea prevetention. flea/tick shampoo will strip the product from the oil glands ( and dry and irritate your dogs skin).

We use Comfortis, have been for about 6 months and we love it. No messy Spot Ons, dont have to worry about Daisy getting wet...it is great. We buy it by the single dose. We pay $13.50 per pill, rather than buying a 6 month supply.

Hmmmm.......... I haven't seen this in Canada yet, although I haven't been lookin' as we haven't had a flea outbreak for awhile. This would be mint to try though as I hate having the dogs gooped up with Advantage and raggin' the kids not to touch them!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
    Hmmmm.......... I haven't seen this in Canada yet, although I haven't been lookin' as we haven't had a flea outbreak for awhile. This would be mint to try though as I hate having the dogs gooped up with Advantage and raggin' the kids not to touch them!
    Alot of vets that see dogs with flea allergies will use Comfortis too, from what I hear. It literally starts killing fleas in 30 minutes, the only down fall of the product is that if you are living in a tick prone envirinment, it will not prevent them, or mosquitos for that matter.

Well, West's side effect of diarrhea has stopped, no messes in the house at all yesterday! Yay! :D And I have to say he has been bouncing around like the crazy puppy he is, so happy now! You can tell he is feeling so much better. He still scratches a little, but we have not see one adult flea on him. I am sold on this Comfortis! Our vet sells it for $15.00/pill. Well worth it if it keeps West happy and flea free healthy.:)