1. How many pit bull owners do you think there are in the U.S.?

I'm working on some figures related to a distribution package I'm trying to put together, and I need to reference the number of Pit Bull owners in the country. From google searches I'm coming up with a rough estimate of around 9-10 million Pit Bulls, with half that number being registered dogs. I'd like to know what people here's opinions are of these numbers, and how they translate to the number of owners of the breed there are, and what percentage of those owners we all think may actually be doing right by the breed.

my best guess would be to find records of dog lisences in communities, but that only shows the people that actually lisence their dog, let alone writes the right breed on the paperwork....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luvapit View Post
    my best guess would be to find records of dog lisences in communities, but that only shows the people that actually lisence their dog, let alone writes the right breed on the paperwork....
    most people with "pit bulls" register them as lab or boxer mixes with twps. and even vets to avoid problems if BSL pops up in their area. I have a boxer and mastiff mix :D.

I think it's going to be a best guess situation because most people tend to register them as other things. I don't know if the ADBA or UKC and AKC for Amstaffs will give any statistics of #of registered dog per year, thats a start, as far as mixes, rescues, etc. I have no idea how to guess a number on that.

4. Are you asking "Pit Bull Types" in general?

I found this today

found here...
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...itbulls07.html

They are the 4th most licensed dog in Seattle.
    In ten years their population has more than quadrupled in Seattle alone though the rise in human population has only increased by half.

In 1997, 1 out of every approx 800 people owned a "Pit Bull".
    In 2007, 1 out of every approx 320 people owned a "Pit Bull".

Remember, these are only the "legal Pit Bulls".

It's unbelievable to think of how many of these "types" of dogs are actually out there. You could blame every DBRF in the US on this breed type (let alone the 1/3-1/2 # people like to spout off) and it still would only work out to a staggeringly low percentage of "bad dogs" within the breed.

5. Quote Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
    Are you asking "Pit Bull Types" in general?

I found this today...
    Great find. I am mostly interested in the broader Pit Bull Type. Since this is for a distribution program for the Demo book, I'm using these stats to show what my target audience numbers are, in a general sense. I agree with all of you regarding registered vs non registered, etc.

Keep those thoughts and numbers coming!