Images

Best food for healthy anal glands

My dog has anal gland secrcetion often and gets it all over his dog bed. He doesn't have an infection according to the vet. He needs a diet change though (higher fiber), and now my female is having same prob. Can anyone suggest a food brand they use that results in no or less issues with anal glands???? I had been using Iams Proactive b/c the town i am in only had a walmart, however a tractor supply just opened near by that may have some better options, and i found a feed store that has some other brands. thanx for you help in advance!!!

Images
    i feed wellness core and roadies never had a leaky anus. then again ive never heard of a dog having $#@! juice.

Images
    I feed solid Gold, and have had GREAT results with it.

I have heard that coconut is good for healthy anal glands. You can give them a whole coconut to play with, eat, etc. Or you can give them pieces to chew, or give them coconut oil on their food. Honey and Bear love their evening kibble because I put a tablespoon of oil on it every night.

5. Besides adding fiber, exercise (to maintain anal sphincter tone), hydration, and fat metabolism are important. Do you add essential fatty acids to the dog's food?

Slowly switch the dog food to a better one - there are many choices, I feed EVO - and as the stool now is less soft, we have less issues.

A good source of fiber also is raw sesame seeds, ground flax seed, whole oats, 1 tablespoon wheat bran sprinkled over the food, but Be sure to hydrate the dry fiber thoroughly before incorporating it into their food.

Other sources of fiber:
    Canned pumpkin, apple, BROWN rice, carrots, dried or cooked sweet potato, beans.

But don't give too much extra fiber (can cause gas, can prevent the absorption of vitamins and minerals and can lead to loose stool or diarrhea) - a little every day added to the kibble and a better food should help a lot!

6. If you wouldn't be opposed, raw meaty bones will firm up stool and make the dog express the glands naturally. Knuckle bones are a big hit with mine, not too often though as they will wear down teeth eventually. Chicken backs/turkey necks also have high bone content.

the tractor supply by me sells Diamond natural and TowT witch diamond natural is great for the cost and TowT is great in general

Images
    Thank you very much for the replies!! I think i will try some additives now and then. But i am definetly going to switch food. Elliehanna I think i will try the Diamond natural. Thank you very much.

9. Why is diamond natural a great food?

Kazi, you can add fiber every day - just not huge amounts every day...

Anal gland problems are often due to allergies (they are technically part of the skin and dogs express allergies through the skin) or soft stool. You can try adding unseasoned canned pumpkin to your dogs diet to bulk up the stool, or you can go to a limited ingredient diet and see if that helps.

Images
    Yeah I heard canned pumpkin works. dont get grocery brand foods either stay a way from those. try to get food without a ton of grain and more meat and vegetable or just plain meat.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerToo View Post
    Yeah I heard canned pumpkin works. dont get grocery brand foods either stay a way from those. try to get food without a ton of grain and more meat and vegetable or just plain meat.
    I've been feeding Odin Blue Buffalo and it seems like it has a little too much protein for him and his glands filled up. My vet suggested putting some canned pumpkin in his food and he's had no problems since.