Do your dogs get jealous of each other

Why do dogs get jealous? Is jealousy a human emotion? Do dogs in a pack with no humans get jealous? Is jealousy a natural thing? Is it good or bad? If it is bad, how do you correct it?

They try. Terra likes to come and chew on whatever other dog I'm petting. I send her little butt away in a hurry.

I think they do, or at least I think Debo does! This last summer, we went camping w/ some friends. We brought Debo & they brought their beagle. They have a baby too & weren't walking their beagle much, so one morning I took it upon myself to take the guy for a little walk. I tied Debo up where the beagle had been tied & started off. Debo started whining this crazy loud whine/bark & would not let up. One guy ended up putting him in the tent w/ my BF cuz he wouldn't stop. My BF said he continued to whine & look out the window of the tent until I came back.

We'd like to get a 2nd dog someday, but we struggle w/ it. I just think Debo would be devastated. :(

Images
    Hmm, I'm not sure they get jealous. Maybe in our eyes it's jealousy, but I think it's really a territorial or dominance thing. That doesn't mean they have to be aggressive when being dominant or territorial. Like in DDE's thread, her dog was being a bit territorial over her walking another dog. Like, that's my mom and not yours.

Even with dogs in the same pack. My dogs sometimes get this way but since I'm rather strict with them they are sure of their role in my pack, we rarely have a problem. If one does start to get a little pushy or whiney when I'm petting or playing with the other, I correct her and tell her to go lie down. I later give her the same individual attention.

My mom's dog WAS part of our pack but I don't live at home anymore. I do visit with them almost every weekend. My parents let Beans do whatever she wants. She's VERY sweet and submissive and honestly is incapable of being aggressive in anyway, so she's not gonna have a dominance problem from having no discipline. But, she cannot stand it if one dog is getting attention and she isn't. She comes in an jumps all over you. To me, that's because she has no manners, like a child who constantly inturrupts her parents when they are speaking. ;)

FYI, I didn't train Beans myself because I trained their last dog. She's a Cardigan Welsh Corgi, named Cori, who cannot live without me, oh yeah, and she's my dog now, lol. So to avoid their next dog getting that attached with me, I told them they had to do all the training themselves. They did a decent job with basic commands, but that dog demands attention and never gets corrected. I correct her little $#@! all the time and she looks at me like I'm the rude one.
    Last edited by DivineOblivion19; 12-19-2007 at 03:55 PM.

More like my two HATE each other. :rolleyes:

Mine are females (yay me) and I use them as an example with any adopter that wants to adopt a same-sex dog.

My dogs growl at each other from under doors and try to crate fight if they get the chance....

My puppy Bishop is always getting jealous of my adult female Daisy because i spend time with her and he sees it so he crays like a Lil baby and i cant stand it,Having two dogs is not easy.

Images
    I agree with Divine....jealousy is a human trait.

I have 3 females (all spayed) and they get along......of course there is a pecking order amongst them and it seems to work for them.

Images
    When I am loving on Bubba, Lucy glides in between us and sticks her butt in my face, and Bubba does the same when I am playing with Lucy, although he is more like a bulldozer.

I kid about them being jealous of each other, but I think it is more of the fact that they both want all of me and my husband and everyone else that they can have......they think everyone at our house is there to see THEM.......WE don't have any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineOblivion19 View Post
    Hmm, I'm not sure they get jealous. Maybe in our eyes it's jealousy, but I think it's really a territorial or dominance thing. That doesn't mean they have to be aggressive when being dominant or territorial. Like in DDE's thread, her dog was being a bit territorial over her walking another dog. Like, that's my mom and not yours.
    Yep, you're probably right - more of a territorial thing. It's funny, cuz I just started reading "For the Love of a Dog" by Patricia McConnell (anyone read it?), and she's talking about how dogs do certainly have some emotions, but with the more complicated emotions - like jealousy - it's harder to determine. I'm only in the first chapter but I like it a lot so far.

My dogs do if i'm petting one the other has to get right up next to me.I guess they think i'm not gonna pet them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by debo-dumbo-ears View Post
    Yep, you're probably right - more of a territorial thing. It's funny, cuz I just started reading "For the Love of a Dog" by Patricia McConnell (anyone read it?), and she's talking about how dogs do certainly have some emotions, but with the more complicated emotions - like jealousy - it's harder to determine. I'm only in the first chapter but I like it a lot so far.
    I agree. I can't say that dogs do not have emotion (like some believe) but I definitely don't think they are as complicated as ours. They interpret things differently than we do. They get territorial over things, we get jealous. It's similar, yet so different.

12. well, whether it's jealousy in their terms or not, if I am petting Tess, Notch comes over wanting to be pet, and visa versa.