1. Just adopted 2 yr old red nose pit bull showing aggression

My name I Erika. I just recently bought a house in WV where I've moved in with my boyfriend, 3 yr old son, & 5 yr old cat. I have owned pits in the past when I was a child, & the dog I left with my parents who is now 10 yes old is part pit.

Yesterday we adopted a 2 yr old pit who we named Ginger. She was shown as "No Aggression, Good with dogs, cats, kids, lap dog, sweet & loving." She definitely seemed so. We took her home and our roommate's pit mix (I think with a beagle) named Xena decided to attack her. She didn't do anything back. Then we took her to my boyf's parents house where she was introduced to their cat. Sniffing commenced but then the cat (rightfully named Stupid) jumped on her neck. When we got him off, he went around & jumped on her back. Ginger didn't do anything but try to run out of the house scared. We took her to a friends house who has 2 small kittens & she wanted NOTHING to do with them. Scared to death.

We brought her back home and she was confronted with Xena again. Seemed fine until my boyfriend went to pet Xena & then Ginger wanted to attack. So, we brought them in the house & by this time my cat, Phoebe had decided to come out of hiding. She didn't seem to want much to do with her either.... until about 2 am. Ginger slept in the bed with us, & Phoebe usually sleeps in bed with us but decided against it because of Ginger. Phoebe walked around the bed & Ginger got to the edge of the bed barking & growling at her. I tried to hold her back but she jumped off of the bed & cornered Phoebe. I held her by her skin trying to pull her back. She backed off for a split second & Phoebe took that opportunity to run behind the bed. Now, I know that she could have gotten away from me. I didn't have a strong hold on her, & she's stronger than I am. It still scared the crap out of me!! Our 3 yr old has been camping so he hasn't met her yet & my cat, Phoebe... she's my baby. I don't know what I'd do if anything ever happened to her that I could have prevented.

I don't want to have to take Ginger back to the humane society where I know she'll get put down. We've had her less than a day so far but we're already in love & she's so sweet normally. I just don't know her background. I know she's been bred & that her previous owners dropped her off in the middle of the night at the humane society. I'm not sure what to do. Please help!!

2. Dog aggression is normal with this breed. Also, from what you posted, the dog is not getting the chance to "settle in". As soon as you brought the dog home, she was introduced to another dog, then right after that, taken to another house where the dog was introduced to cats. Then, back home, the dog was confronted by Xena again.

Ginger slept in the bed with us, & Phoebe usually sleeps in bed with us but decided against it because of Ginger. Phoebe walked around the bed & Ginger got to the edge of the bed barking & growling at her. I tried to hold her back but she jumped off of the bed & cornered Phoebe. I held her by her skin trying to pull her back. She backed off for a split second & Phoebe took that opportunity to run behind the bed. Now, I know that she could have gotten away from me. I didn't have a strong hold on her, & she's stronger than I am. It still scared the crap out of me!! Our 3 yr old has been camping so he hasn't met her yet & my cat, Phoebe... she's my baby. I don't know what I'd do if anything ever happened to her that I could have prevented.
    You need to implement NILIF. None of the dogs should be sleeping in the bed with you until you establish that YOU are the alpha.

NILIF:
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=1571

Please read the thread below regarding different dog tolerence levels:

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=21366

Also, please supervise all play time.:)
    Last edited by Michele; 07-12-2009 at 07:07 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Dog aggression is normal with this breed. Please read the thread below regarding different dog tolerence levels:

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=21366

Also, please supervise all play time.:)
    But what about cat aggression? My cat doesn't have a chance against her.

4. Same thing. There is no reason to bring this dog back to the shelter. The dog, from what you described, is showing DA, which is normal. You need to learn how to handle that. Please read the threads I provided for you my post above.

5. I would crate the new dog for at least 3 months and give everybody a chance to get to know each other slowly. Not too much affection, but more training and exercise.

Go for long walks right away - it's always a good idea to walk a new dog, before even bringing the dog into the house the first time. It's a bg change for your animals and a big change for the new dog... they need time. In the beginning, close supervision is the best. If the dog reacts to the cat, keep the dog on the leash in the house until she knows, what you expect from her. Wouldn't let her sleep in the bed for a while, but in the crate.
    Last edited by Susanne; 07-12-2009 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikaMarie View Post

Dogs and cats have a looooooooooooooooooong history of being enemies. Dogs chase cats. Cats run from dogs. Cats occasionally killed by dogs.

It would be like saying you adopted a new cat who didn't get along with your gerbil/rat.

And sadly, rescues will say whatever they want to so in an effort to adopt a dog out. Adoptions bring them such "I'm so proud of myself...look at all the good I've done!" satisfaction that they do not really care whether or not they adopt those animals out to the appropriate, educated homes.

**For the record, this is not ALL rescues, but sadly it is the majority.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikaMarie View Post

Again, please give it time, much more time ... as I believe I mentioned in your intro post: we have three dogs (2 APBTs, 1 Rottie-X) and one six pound cat.

Rule No. 1: none are left alone together (and that includes sleeping with us)

Rule No. 2: dogs are to respect the cat, and are corrected if they are too enthusiastic around her.

Dogs are rewarded for calm behavior around the cat.

Please note that getting to this point took weeks, if not months, with one memorable occasion, where I pulled Trusty (APBT) out of a kitchen cabinet, because he was 'looking' for the cat :eek:

8. Quote Originally Posted by Madeleinemom View Post
    Please note that getting to this point took weeks, if not months, with one memorable occasion, where I pulled Trusty (APBT) out of a kitchen cabinet, because he was 'looking' for the cat :eek:
    LOL how funny! Did he go all the way into the cabinet??

I totally agree - it takes time. They all need to learn to trust each other - and the cat always needs to be able to find a safe place - either hig up or maybe in the basement (we put up a kid's safe gate to the basemnt and leave the door open. Cat litter also is in the basement - so that the dog doesn't find those "treats" :)

It took us about 3 months - now cats and dog are best friends - a pack. We are lucky - they also sleep together quite often. My dog would never like any other cat though!

Are you aware that you have a dog?

10. Who? Me? Don't understand the question..... :confused:

Images
    Whenever mine would go after my cats when I first got them.. I would say loudly, NO CATS and physically moved them away from the cat and I would guard my cat.

It took em a few times to actually understand what I wanted, but they got it.

Supervise and whenever you see any sort of alert on the cat, correct and repeat. ;)

Images
    [quote=Susanne;380920]LOL how funny! Did he go all the way into the cabinet??
    quote]

Yes, the only visible portion of Trusty were the hind legs and tail - he was immersed in the cabinet (which is an odd/corner cabinet).

I was truly amazed how he managed to get in there ... once my pulse rate went back down to a normal range, I had to laugh :D

You need to back the hell up with this poor dog, she's been at a shelter, now with people she doesn't know who allow her to be rudely greeted then attacked by a strange dog, then dragged to another new place with people she doesn't know, throw some cats into the mix, then back to the other strange place with the mean dog that went after her before. What did you expect would happen?

Stop overwhelming the dog, she doesn't know you, she doesn't know the rules, she will defend herself if she feels threatened because you aren't protecting her. Read up on how to properly introduce a dog to another dog and dogs to cats and for the time being keep her away from the other animals and let her get used to your house and have some peace. Put her in a room with the door shut so nobody is bugging her and spend at least a couple weeks just one on one, walking, bonding, etc with her.

She shouldn't be on the bed or loose with the other dog/cat at all at this point and you should know that female/female with bullies is a very bad idea, dog aggression is an extremely common trait in this breed, as is prey drive because they are terriers. Both can be managed but it will take some effort on your part.

Well that was possibly the worst way to introduce her to your roommates dog. Its a good rule of thumb to introduce all dogs that the new addition will be living with at the shelter before adopting the new addition. In fact a lot of shelters and rescues require it!

We did crate and rotate for about a week with Chicago and Lynley when my roomie adopted Chicago. And Chicago was on lead all the time in the house for that first week. We had absolutely no problems acclimating him to our four house cats. He also earned his bed sleeping priviledges over the course of several MONTHS.

One of the requirements I had when looking for a dog to adopt was that it be good with cats. I like very, very high prey drive breeds of dog (APBT, BC, Siberian Husky, GSD), so I knew what I would be getting in to. I spent a lot of time discoursing with people at the various shelters whose dogs I liked on Petfinder before I even went in to look at the dogs. I actually took Missy (my older cat) in with me to the shelter that Lily was at because they have no cats and could not test the dogs with cats. Lily had never been around cats before, but showed interest that was more friendly than prey oriented (I don't know if thats the best way to describe it).
    Now I was very, very careful about introducing them when I brought Lily home. I put the cats in their crates so Lily could sniff them and then used a baby gate to provide them a safe place to get away from her. Every interaction was supervised carefully and thanks to that they all adjusted quickly. Lily even raised my evil little kitten that I got in spring of 2008.

Even with how well everyone gets along I would never, ever leave anyone loose together while unsupervised. That is what crates are for. :)

Read up on crate and rotate and NILIF, both will be very helpful. And the thread on multiple dog households...
    Starting off on lead all the time when around the kitteh will help tremendously. And never, ever, ever leave them unsupervised together. Even if you are just running to the bathroom!

Also, remember that there are some APBT's that are so high prey drive that they cannot be trusted with ANY small mammals/birds. I doubt your new dog is one of those, but its just something to keep in mind...

Images
    You may find these links helpful;

Different Dog Tolerance Levels

Intro Cat to other cats/dog

:)

Images
    Ditto on what a lot of others posted. Def. give her a chance to adapt to her new environment with your home. You dont know what she has been through before coming to live with you. She needs time to understand that you are her new owner and get used to what is going to be her new home (as much as you prob. want to take her EVERYWHERE with you!) give her a chance! :)

Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBread View Post
    Are you aware that you have a dog?
    That was a perfect response.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    You need to back the hell up with this poor dog, she's been at a shelter, now with people she doesn't know who allow her to be rudely greeted then attacked by a strange dog, then dragged to another new place with people she doesn't know, throw some cats into the mix, then back to the other strange place with the mean dog that went after her before. What did you expect would happen?

Stop overwhelming the dog, she doesn't know you, she doesn't know the rules, she will defend herself if she feels threatened because you aren't protecting her. Read up on how to properly introduce a dog to another dog and dogs to cats and for the time being keep her away from the other animals and let her get used to your house and have some peace. Put her in a room with the door shut so nobody is bugging her and spend at least a couple weeks just one on one, walking, bonding, etc with her.

She shouldn't be on the bed or loose with the other dog/cat at all at this point and you should know that female/female with bullies is a very bad idea, dog aggression is an extremely common trait in this breed, as is prey drive because they are terriers. Both can be managed but it will take some effort on your part.
    Very good post!

I found that both of my pit bulls just needed some time to adjust to kitties, but once they realized they were rewarded for being nice to cats, they did fine. But like some people mentioned, depending on the dog, some just don't ever do well with cats. But give your dog a chance, and do some training on your part - it will go a long way.

Since it won't bring in the other quotes, I'll just say that I love amanda's post and she quoted what I would have!

I can not BELIEVE you took a strange dog and just tossed her in with other animals from the get go... she could have KILLED any of those, and then what? You would have flailed that she was supposed to be good with other animals, and snapped for no reason and taken her back to the shelter? *sigh*

There have been some AWESOME responses to this thread... I truly hope you read them, and take them to heart!