1. Need help with malnourished dog

I just got 2 of my dogs back after a break up with my boyfriend. He separated all of our dogs. And gave one away about 2 months into her pregnancy. The guy who got her was a friend of mine and his. He was having some problems with her. She was acting skiddish, and looked emaciated. She had her puppies 2 days ago and she killed all of them. She only had three puppies. The guy has been trying to feed her twice a day but she won't eat much. When I picked her up last night, she didn't have any energy. Looking at her I could tell she was deeply depressed and had not been taken care of very well. My friend has only had her for about a month, and he says she would barely eat and has not been the dog I knew. Once I got her back and with me, she started to perk up. Her gums are pink, so I don't think it is worms, plus I made sure she was wormed before she got pregnant. She is a year and a half old, and I want to know what you guys think would be the best way to get her back to a healthy weight.

Before anyone starts on the breeding, I did not agree to the breeding, I thought she was too young. That was my ex boyfriend's idea despite how much I disagreed. I was not able to take my dogs with me when we broke up, I did not abandon them. I have 2 of my dogs back, and now I can make sure they are safe and taken care of.

2. So is your question just what to do in general?

First, TAKE HER TO THE VET.

Then, buy a high quality food(TOTW, Solid Gold, Innova...) and I would feed her as much as she will eat.

Then, get her spayed. If you need help with funds, we have a couple stickys on it and PBRC can help out, too.

3. Thank you. I am looking into the $#@!istance. I am putting her back on Intimidator. I will be calling the vet as soon as they open. Any more advice??

4. Does she eat now? If yes - she will gain weight - as long as she is healthy. What do you feed?

5. Intimidator dogfood. It replaced Sir John's in the area I live in. It is one of the top dog foods around.

6. Along with what everyone else has said, you might want to give her some Satin Balls. They will put weight on.

Satin Balls:
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=10729

7. Thanks for all the advice guys. I am pleased to report that she is a lot more active than she was. And she is still recovering from the birth. She is up and running around and constantly at my side. She ate some today. I was giving her some canned dog food since she was not doing well with the dry food, and I also gave her some milk bones which she enjoyed. As of now it is a day to day thing. We are clearing out some space, and she is infested with fleas. I will be taking care of that tomorrow. We should have everything up and running by Sunday, given tomorrow is a holiday. But I will be working on it tomorrow. I am extremely happy to have two of my girls rescued. I don't know what happened to my other dogs, but I can only pray that they are well. Thank you all for your help.

I would still keep a very close eye on her. A dog that is lethargic and not wanting to eat following a pregnancy/delivery is a dog that I would take to the vet immediately. There are too many issues that could be going on, and some of those are fatal if not acknowledged and left untreated.

9. Quote Originally Posted by truckrazy View Post
    Intimidator dogfood. It replaced Sir John's in the area I live in. It is one of the top dog foods around.
    Ok did some research and if this is the same stuff made by Hi-Tek Rations you have to change dog food! This stuff is garbage. I am not trying to come off like an @$$, just want to help you and you pup.
    Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients:

Chicken By-Products Meal, Brewer’s Rice, Ground Whole Wheat, Poultry Fat (Preserved with BHA), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Fish Meal, Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Methionine Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Methionine Complex, L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Manganese Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Natural Flavors.

1. chicken by products meal - could be ANYTHING--

What exactly is chicken-by-product meal - and why do we care?

By-products can vary ... they can consist of the internal parts of animals such as necks, heads, undeveloped eggs, feet, intestines, lungs, spleen and liver.
    What labels don't reveal

Condemned parts and animals rejected for human consumption can be rerouted into commercial pet foods. These condemned parts are referred to as the 4 D's: dead, dying, diseased or decayed. We believe this is one of the most despicable practices in the pet food manufacturing industry.

Some manufacturers have a lower standard regarding the quality of ingredients they use to make pet food. A recent example of this practice is the discovery of Pentobarbital in major pet foods, including supermarket brands. Pentobarbital is a chemical used to euthanize animals. Many holistic veterinarians feel that daily ingestion of pentobarbital can be harmful.

Many manufacturers cut costs by using the cheapest ingredients available at the time a food is made. Since costs rise and fall, some manufacturers will vary ingredients from batch to batch .. resulting in changed nutrient values for each batch and possible digestive illness.

2. BHA---In general, foods will spoil without some form of temperature control or preservatives. BHA, BHT, and ethoxyquin are chemical antioxidants designed to extend the shelf life and reduce fat spoilage (rancidity) of pet foods and pet treats. Chemical additives and artificial preservatives such as BHA, BHT, and ethoxyquin may cause dry skin, allergic reactions, dental disease, and poor health, as well as stimulate adverse effects on liver and kidney functions. Specifically, BHA, short for Butylated Hydroxyanisole, and BHT, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, are both artificial preservatives added to oils to slow down deterioration. BHA and BHT (as well as ethoxyquin) are used in numerous pet food brands, including both "premium-grade" brands like Science Diet (even their prescription diet product line) and lower-grade brands like Alpo and Pedigree, to replace vitamin E, which is removed during oil processing. Studies have shown that BHA and BHT promote liver disease and other medical problems.

3. Dried beet pulp and brewers rice- cheap filler and waste product

10. Malnourist dog

Quote Originally Posted by truckrazy View Post
    I just got 2 of my dogs back after a break up with my boyfriend. He separated all of our dogs. And gave one away about 2 months into her pregnancy. The guy who got her was a friend of mine and his. He was having some problems with her. She was acting skiddish, and looked emaciated. She had her puppies 2 days ago and she killed all of them. She only had three puppies. The guy has been trying to feed her twice a day but she won't eat much. When I picked her up last night, she didn't have any energy. Looking at her I could tell she was deeply depressed and had not been taken care of very well. My friend has only had her for about a month, and he says she would barely eat and has not been the dog I knew. Once I got her back and with me, she started to perk up. Her gums are pink, so I don't think it is worms, plus I made sure she was wormed before she got pregnant. She is a year and a half old, and I want to know what you guys think would be the best way to get her back to a healthy weight.

Before anyone starts on the breeding, I did not agree to the breeding, I thought she was too young. That was my ex boyfriend's idea despite how much I disagreed. I was not able to take my dogs with me when we broke up, I did not abandon them. I have 2 of my dogs back, and now I can make sure they are safe and taken care of.
    Please try to find in the Internet about "ATOVI" natural Food supplementation invented by a Filipino and attested by the Depatment of Science and Technology, Philippines.

does anyone watch dirty jobs on the discovery channel?

they did an episode about a job where they picked up dead cattle from beef farms. some of the dead cows had been laying in the hot sun for four days and were rotting, infested with bugs and bloated. while i praise them for using all the cow; they trimmed off the hide for leather, used the bones, and processed the meat; the entire site was enough to make me sick. as they were grinding up the rotted meat and organs they were saying how it is used for oil and for dog food.

when you use a low quality food there is a good chance your dog is eating something like this. i can't tell you how happy i was that i had been feeding my dogs high quality holistic food without by-products. if you are still in doubt watch this episode!

12. Intimidator is not horrible dog food, it is not filled with fillers like the cheap stuff. Right now they are eating home-made food. They get their veggies and fruit, and I only use chicken and fish for protein at the moment. I am researching into good dog food, since that was brought to my attention. My female that just had the puppies is doing well, she is eating and becoming more active. I am out there most of the day with my dogs. They are both doing well, and are the dogs that I knew. I am pretty sure I saw that episode of dirty jobs, but I was thinking pedigree and all that. Thank you all. And what dog foods have you found that you like? I have used nutra, and was semi-happy with them, and then I was using good dog and intimidator, which are made by the same company. My dogs responded well, and I was happy with the results that I saw from the dog food. But I was mostly getting the food because that's what my ex wanted. I want my dogs to be as healthy as possible, like I know all of us here want.

13. Quote Originally Posted by truckrazy View Post
    Intimidator is not horrible dog food, it is not filled with fillers like the cheap stuff. Right now they are eating home-made food. They get their veggies and fruit, and I only use chicken and fish for protein at the moment. I am researching into good dog food, since that was brought to my attention. My female that just had the puppies is doing well, she is eating and becoming more active. I am out there most of the day with my dogs. They are both doing well, and are the dogs that I knew. I am pretty sure I saw that episode of dirty jobs, but I was thinking pedigree and all that. Thank you all. And what dog foods have you found that you like? I have used nutra, and was semi-happy with them, and then I was using good dog and intimidator, which are made by the same company. My dogs responded well, and I was happy with the results that I saw from the dog food. But I was mostly getting the food because that's what my ex wanted. I want my dogs to be as healthy as possible, like I know all of us here want.
    I was not trying to get you mad I was just pointing out that if it is the same food I listed you can ask anyone on this board that chicken BY PRODUCTS are horrible!

14. you didn't get me mad honey. I was just pointing out that it is not bottom of the line dog food. bottom of the line food is food you can find in the grocery store for your dog that is less than $10 a bag. And it is completely filled with byproducts, and things I can't even pronounce. I appreciate all of the help and advice I have gotten. I am looking into some good food, and will make sure my dogs have the best life possible. They deserve that after what they have gone through. I am open to any advice. I have only been a pit owner for 2 and a half years. I still have a lot to learn. Thank you all.

15. Please browse your internet.....atovianimalg2.com - Atovi Performance and Immune Enhancer - Home or contact directly Engr. Walther B. Alvarez of the Philippines (CP # +639179645409) Said Wonder Atovi Powder saved the life of our American Pitbull Terrier name Mutley who is now one of the entries of the Upcoming -Pitbull Chat Sponsored 1st Internet Dog Show Contest'09.

Hope this helps every Pitbulleros like us! Good Luck!

16. I hope everything is continuing to improve. I have to agree on the food unfortunately... I do nutritional consulting for dogs/cats and you would honestly be better off just throwing some human stuff together from the grocery store if you are willing. If not, such is life, make sure to add some good stuff to the food as you are able like raw eggs, and full fat cottage cheese or whole milk plain yogurt. The scarey thing about the dog acting funny that just whelped is that she could have an internal infection or a left over pup in there...I sure hope she continues to improve.

Best of luck!!