Sweet Potatoes for diarrhea?

My puppy is 5 months old and she's had diarrhea for about 2 weeks now. She eats everything off the floor. A pet store worker recommended canned sweet potato saying it would help her diarrhea. Does anyone know if that actually works?

I've heard of canned pumpkin but not the sweet potato. As well, I've used slippery elm bark powder with great results. I usually fast for a day, give a day of plain white rice and then start to slowly mix in the kibble over a few days until they are weaned off the rice. Has your pup been dewormed? Are you giving her alot of treats? What food is she on. Has she seen a vet about this?

3. A puppy that young being sick for that long is actually more serious. I say a vet trip is in order. My 3 months old had diarrhea for 2 days and we rushed her into the vet.

4. Hi

No... I dont think so....... If its works means let me know.....

5. I would suggest taking your dog to the vet. Also, what do you feed?

Originally I fed her Canidae but after we moved to a new house she began eating my roommates' dog food which is kibbles N' bits and now that's all she will eat. When I adopted her I was told she was given a vaccination for deworming. Im potty training her so I usually only giver her treats when she poos/pees outside. I think at this point I'm better off dismissing the sweet potato and just taking her to the vet. Thanks for the advice!

Two weeks is way too long for a pup to have diarrhea, even an adult for that matter. You need to go to the vet ASAP.

8. Also, keep her away from the Kibbles n bits. That's garbage dog food.

I didn't see the part about Kibbles n' Bits! Of course she likes it! It is like eating junk food.

I agree, take her to the vet, it's been way to long.

For minor stuff, I've heard pumpkin works. I like feeding plain yogurt.

Wow. I didn't know kibbles n' bits was junk! I took her to the vet today & she should be back to normal in no time. They gave me medication for her so hopefully she'll be healthy soon! Thanks everyone! I will get her off the kibbles n' bits as soon as possible.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Oh can I have some recommendations for food? Keep in mind she's still a puppy.

my pup had the runs for a few days and we fasted for a day then white rice and chicken for a day or two then mixed in the kibble again and poops were solid as barrack

Kibbles n bits is one of THE worst foods out there! YUCK!

What did the vet say was the problem?

I would think that a crap food like that could be cause alone!

I have personally used pumpkin, and it works. (and makes their poor FLAMING ORANGE lol)

14. Quote Originally Posted by Kuma bear View Post
    Oh can I have some recommendations for food? Keep in mind she's still a puppy.
    Depending on your price range, check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com and you can see which brands you should feed :D

I'm a fan of Tast of the Wild, Riley's on the Pacific Stream Salmon and doing very well, I can't remember if they make puppy food or not!

white rice and boiled chicken works well for a bland and easily digestible diet. but i agree get her back on the canidae

16. Innova is also another good food to feed. Not the EVO, just the regular Innova. :)

Images
    I feed Wellness CORE, which is grain free. :)