Blue dogs, why the color changes?

I have a blue am staff. Her father is tri-colored. On the pedigree her mom is listed as a blue fawn w/ blue mask. Her mom looks like a solid bucksin to me. I would swear by it. Our female was the only female in a litter of 7 and the only blue dog. We were not looking for a blue dog, just a female from a reputable breeder where we could meet both parents and examine the homesite.

Here is my question....when we brought Blue home she was so blue her skin was actually blue. She was a dark in color. However around 1 year she was no longer blue, but a graphite grey. Does anyone know what causes this? I'm not concerned about the change in color, just curious. I am $#@!uming because her mom is registered as blue fawn, perhaps as a pup she was blue and had the mask, but like our dog her color faded or changed. Does anyone have anymore information on this? Or seen this happen before?

Images
    It depends on the individual dog and the breeding behind them

Puppies often change in color for example some brindle dogs are born almost looking like a solid color and the striping patterns eventually pop up more

I have blue dogs and they are the same color as when they were born.

I've seen dogs fade but mostly it has been the ones that come from over breeding blue to blue to blue or that have poor pigment to begin with...

Many dogs change colors with the different seasons.

My boy Folsom changed colors very much... He went from being Blue like this...

To being a "fawn bluie" (adba calls them that) like this..(taken back a few months back)

And this is what he looks like today

Last edited by XXX; 12-11-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Images
    Folsom appeared though to be washed out in color as a pup too and not really blue, but that could just be the lighting in the picture. How long until he changed fully? Just curious

He is a cutie

I guess he was about 5 or 6 months old when he fully changed colors.. now he's like a sandy color (which is nice because he doesn't show dirt too easy...lol)... but if you roll his fur back he's got that blue under cast.

Thank you for the replies and helpful information. I am wondering if anyone knows a specific reason why they change. I recently read an article discussing tri-colored pits and their genetics. It was very informative, but did not mention the dogs changing color as they got older. I $#@!ume the change genetic. Could it possibly something as simple as the puppy hair falling out and the adult hair replacing it? If that really happens. If so why would the adult hair be different.

I'm beginning to think I might be over thinking it.:) Thanks NcPrisonGuard for posting pics of your pup. He is beautiful. And you are right, this dark hair is a pain when trying to hide dirt.

yeah, Locus was a solid black and more and more brindle is popping up.

Boogieman Guest
    all my dogs have changed color a couple times or more since they were pups. it's nothing unusual. every blue i ever saw ends up charcoal colored like you are talking about.

rufus as a pup had more black then brown brindle, as he got older his color changed from black/brown brindle to goldish brown brindle to brown brindle..

jesse my gsd was black and tan as a pup, then went to black/creme, then black/silver, to tan/slight black to red/black/tan to now mostly tan w/ reddish tips and black... i have her pedigree and most of her ancestors were black and tan, and only a few dogs had red in them and creme.

Some of my dogs have changed color more than others. Loki looks more or less the same, IMO. Priest has darkened up considerably. The most noticeable one would be Terra; she's changed colors quite a bit.

Priest as an itty bitty guy:

And at about 6 months:

Terra as a tiny baby:

About 4 months:

6 months:

Recently:

Images
    Trouble has changed quite a bit. He went from being very blue brindle as a pup to a more grayish mask and brindle with more defined brown colors. We ordered a blue and charcoal grey collar from collarmania to hopefully bring out the blue/grey lol.

as a pup

and now at 6 months

Images
    I've noticed the color change a lot with the brindles, esp. blue brindles.

IMO I don't think it has anything to do with the female being a tri, most pups in this breed change color to some extent. I have a male that was as black as black could be and he ended up a seal and now has just as much red as black.

The only downfall is picking the right color to put on the papers - its hard to change them once the dog is grown.