Images

Can Dogs Get Styes in Their Eyes?

Madeleine's left eye is red, and there is a reddish bump on the lower, center part of her eye. No discharge, no apparent pain. This all has popped up in the last 12 hours or so.

In a human, I would guess that this could be a stye.

Is it possible for dogs to get styes as well? If that's the case, could this possibly p$#@! (in humans, they usually do), or are we off to the vet again?

Hi MadelineMom...is the raised bump on the margin of the eyelid? Or is it on the eyeball itself?

If it is on the eyelid, it is likely a chalazion, or plugged oil duct. This would be somewhat similar to a sty in people.

I would definitely advise a trip to the DVM as these types of growths can irritate the cornea of the eye and even create an ulcer.

Good luck...keep us posted!

Images
    Hi, Tom and thank you for responding.

The bump is on the eyelid, not the eyeball (sorry that I did not make that clear).

This morning, both the redness of her eye and bump have subsided; I will watch it closely though.

Similar Threads

1. Red eyes
    By selina in forum Health & Nutritional Care
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 12:02 PM
  2. The eyes have it
    By ohmidog! in forum Dog Blogs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 06:50 AM
  3. Two dogs found shot between the eyes
    By ohmidog! in forum Dog Blogs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM
  4. Cohoes, NY - Eyes Greater Fines for Vicious Dogs
    By apbtmom76 in forum Breed Specific Legislation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

can dogs get styes in their eyes

do dogs get styes

do dogs get styes in their eyes

can dogs get styes

do dogs get styes on their eyelids

can dogs get stys on their eyes

how do dogs get styes in their eyes

do dogs get styes on their eyes

dog stye eyecan a dog get a stye in their eyestyes in dogscan dogs get stysstye in dogs eyedog eye styehow do dogs get styesdo dogs get styscan dogs get styes on their eyelidscan dogs have styescan dogs get eye styesCan puppies get styesstye dog eyepictures of styes on dogsstyes in dogs picturesdo puppies get styes sty on dogs eyepictures of dog styeswhy do dogs get styes on their eyelidsdog eye stye picturedo dogs get stys in their eyespitbull eye styepicture of stye on dogs eyehow do dogs get styes on their eyesstyes in dogs eyesdogs and styescan puppies get stys