Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

LOTS of Pit bulls on craigslist!

Whats with all of the pits on craigslist?? I have only been looking at Atlanta's ads, and over half of them are ppl needing to either rehome their pits, or trying to get rid of puppies!!:confused:
    Are they just overbred and unwanted?

Maybe some of you can take in another?? There are some beautiful dogs available, and a lot of them are free to good home, or under $100! Im maxed out now with my new foster..there is no way I could take in another dog!

It is problably overbreeding, thinking they'd make a lot of money. However, buying them from craigslist will probably just continue the trend instead of help it.

Cleveland's CL has always had a ton of pit bulls, and other high energy and 'vicious' dogs, people get these dogs not understanding that when they get older they require big areas to play, they are DA, etc. etc. They never take it into consideration and the dog pays for it.

Images
    This pisses me off. Im really mad right now

Yes I think they are the most overbred and unwanted dogs of all :(:(:(

People get them and realize they AREN'T the guard dogs they were hoping for....and that you have to actually take care of them...and the puppies they're spitting out aren't really going to sell for 3K a piece and buy them a home in the Virginia Highlands.
    Lots of these folks also bought/adopted dogs, only to find out later that the landlord doesn't allow them. Virtually none of the dogs on CL are fixed, and yeah...they're going to be "adopted" by someone looking to scare the neighbors and be a breeding cash cow, only to be back in the same situation that got the dog on CL in the first place...along with the new litters they can't unload.
    Viscous cycle, no end in sight.

My advice to all is to stay away from craigslist, and the people that would sell dogs over it. These people don't need any more encouragement.

8. Yeah, it's sad, especially when I see the dogs who have clearly just recently given birth, I always want to take them in. I know, though, that the owners would just go get another one:(

PDX is full of them.

Images
    My advice to all is to stay away from craigslist, and the people that would sell dogs over it. These people don't need any more encouragement.
    Can I write them hate mail?! ;)

Images
    Probably a combination of both. Usually the pet people on Craig's List are good about flagging ads from sketchy breeders. It's sad to see though, it seems like 2/3 of the dogs you see in shelters now are pit bulls.

Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by megschristina View Post
    well said. i stopped going there.

12. Dang! There's an 8 month old Cane Corso on Craigslist in my area! Oh I want one so so so bad! I can't believe there are any CCs on craigstlist....then again, there was a Presa(or was it a Fila?) on there a couple months ago:(

Savannah came from Craigslist. Her story was an unwanted breed and the owner was going to drown the litter and shoot the mother but someone that heard of the situation took them under their wing, got their shots and sold them for what he put into them. The price was workable as he was just trying to find them all good homes.

I don't know if the story is fully true or not but I know what I am getting into with this dog and I understand the responsibilities that come with owning an APBT.

So far she has been wonderful and has picked up her training very well.

I know, I got Buddy from a "free to a good home" ad (in the local paper) and I know it is wrong to place and/or respond to these sort of ads; but it all worked out in the end (luckily) :)

15. :) I kind of got Bubba from craigslist, a volunteer at the shelter posted ads saying all of these dogs were going to be put down(apparently I have sucker written on my head...) and I agreed to foster two of them...we just never found him a home

16. Ok, fine... i'll chime in on a dead thread.

For all you craigslist hater's, it seems to me like listing an animal on craigslist to give it a sliver of a chance to be picked up by a loving owner is better than turning the animal over to death row(shelter).

I'm not talking about puppies here.. there ad's are always pulled relatively quickly. But for young adult or adult dogs that aren't wanted anymore I think craiglist is an excellent place for people to find new homes. Re-homing fee or not, who cares?

women sell their $#@! on craigslist, why is everyone SO SENSITIVE about the dogs?

i got my cinnamon from craigslist the told me they got her from a women that was going to throw the litter in the woods and abandon them so she took in a pup for a while but couldnt take care of her so placed a add on cl and it was on valentines day when i got her she was 3 months old

Images
    yeah in the macon Ga area there at least five a day. but today their was a safe haven ad.

19. I got Raven from CL, actually. She looked terrible in the picture the $#@!hole had posted. I forked over $75 to the $#@!, which encouraged him more, I'm sure, but I saved a life in the process and have an awesome pup now.

Quote Originally Posted by megschristina View Post
    Agreed to the fullest extent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast