Can dogs eat birds?

This may sound stupid, but I sometimes see birds in my backyard that fall out of their nests and my dogs go crazy and try to eat them or whatever. Sometimes I will shoot birds with a bee bee gun out of the tree next to my bedroom window because they wake me up/keep me up(sorry bird lovers) and they will still have a little life left in them when I walk my dog outside the fence. I would think eating birds is not good, but if it is not I would like to know. As of now I just throw them away once I recover them.

2. I would think dogs can eat birds but i'm no expert on that. On another note, if you are going to shoot birds, please make sure they are dead and not suffering.

It is not legal to shoot birds here in Texas, but I figure the dogs could eat them... if you are shooting them and not killing them, you need a little more practice with your weapon. One shot, one kill or stick to paper

I try, if they are not dead I finish it. I just don't throw them away alive. I have a somewhat of a heart. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    It is not legal to shoot birds here in Texas, but I figure the dogs could eat them... if you are shooting them and not killing them, you need a little more practice with your weapon. One shot, one kill or stick to paper
    It's a bee bee gun, they roll in the air so I try my best.

mine can, seemed fine. just some feathers in her poop.

Milew: Hi there...I did some research for you and to the best of my understanding, there are likely no dangers to your dog's habit of eating birds.

However, I would wonder if your dog eats birds, will he also eat other dead animals? If that is the case, you do need to worry because there are many different parasites that can be passed in this way. Some of them could even affect you....Roundworms and Baylisascaris (raccoon roundworms) are two that come to mind.

Thanks, I have not let them eat any as of yet. I was just wondering if there would be harm. I guess worms, lice, and other undesirables will make me rule against it. I'd like to cut the tree down so I don't have to shoot them down, but that isn't cheap. It is a big pine tree.

Thanks Tomcat

Also I wanted to say I did not post this to make people angry I just thought it was appropiriate to say how they were dying. It would be weird if I just had abunch of dead birds lying around. So if anyone is offended, I apologize.
    Last edited by milew66623; 05-26-2009 at 01:57 PM.

no offense taken here. I kill things to eat on a regular basis and my dogs often get part of the meat, so in effect I also kill and feed the dogs the kill. I was just dong a little poking fun at your shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    no offense taken here. I kill things to eat on a regular basis and my dogs often get part of the meat, so in effect I also kill and feed the dogs the kill. I was just dong a little poking fun at your shooting
    Ohhh I see how it is. I am not allowed to own a firearm, but I think pellots make for a better shot. Like I said the bee bee's tend to roll in the air......i'm still no sniper by any means

11. Quote Originally Posted by milew66623 View Post
    Thanks, I have not let them eat any as of yet. I was just wondering if there would be harm. I guess worms, lice, and other undesirables will make me rule against it. I'd like to cut the tree down so I don't have to shoot them down, but that isn't cheap. It is a big pine tree.

Thanks Tomcat

Also I wanted to say I did not post this to make people angry I just thought it was appropiriate to say how they were dying. It would be weird if I just had abunch of dead birds lying around. So if anyone is offended, I apologize.

All is good...but I keep getting flashbacks of that Alfred Hitch$#@! movie: The Birds....

ypu can freeze the birds first then feed em whole. Freezing will kill the mites and parasites.I dont feed my boys birds they do it all by themselves, but i dont have lots of things you have in the maindland. Mostly Doves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    ypu can freeze the birds first then feed em whole. Freezing will kill the mites and parasites.I dont feed my boys birds they do it all by themselves, but i dont have lots of things you have in the maindland. Mostly Doves.
    Sounds like a plan. I just don't know how my girlfriend would feel if she opned the freezer and there was birds in there.....wait....... I do know how she would feel....she would punch me directly in the face.:eek:

i love me some dove, fry it up and eat it like popcorn chicken.

15. get some ear plugs

16. My son and I spend hours shooting crows. But I wouldn't feed them to our dogs. Maybe quail and pheasant or Turkey but we dont have those.

Make sure you take out the pellet before you feed..LOL

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    get some ear plugs
    Excellent suggestion.....:D

18. Dog eat birds.

[quote=Obed;335631]It is not legal to shoot birds here in Texas, but I figure the dogs could eat them... if you are shooting them and not killing them, you need a little more practice with your weapon. One shot, one kill or stick to paper[/quot

I think it is natural for Pitbull to eat birds since dogs in the wild do eat birds too. My Pitbull is fun of catching Wild ducks.