1. Happy Tail syndrome

hello ive joind here to see if i can collect some info, or get so0me help for a problem with my female pit. ive had her for 9 months and she has had an ongoing problem with her tail. from her wagging she has hit it repeatitly and with tripple antibiotic ointment and constent wrapping i managed to get it to close only to continue to open and bleed constantly everywhere. i consulted with 2 vets who agree the tail needs to be amputated, the cost is from 600.-1000.00 dollars. ive called everywhere for help.she is now in pain and the tail continues to get worse. we love her and do not want to have to give her up to get her treared but am willing to if, thats the last resort. she is so beautifal and a good girl , as a part of our family we i need to get her help. if anyone can help please contact me asap thanks so much....

Images
    It is commonly called as Happy Tail. There is a way to wrap it for it to heal using a 60cc syringe case. However if the dog is wagging the tail that much it will heal then re open. I have seen a few amputations because of a severe case. And all but 2 they only took a few inches off.

If it were my dog and it was either amputation or get rid of the dog. I would amputate.

Images
    I agree with CynthiaATL.... poor baby, he's so happy he's hurting his tail..lol. Cynthia gave excellent advice.

Images
    I'm going to copy this thread to the health section. :)

My ex foster Deeohgee {now our forever dog! :)} had HORRENDOUS happy tail when she was here as an adolecent dog. We tried every method around to tape it and she just wagged so hard nothing would even stay on. I know people who did the docking the tip off but they wound up just having to dock more, and then more, because the dog just kept breaking the end open hitting the shorter tail on the wall. :rolleyes: They should have just did the whole tail which is what I wanted if we wound up having to do Deeohgee's. The vet said Deeohgee needed her's docked but I wanted to give it one last try... so essentially what I did was keep her crated in the house, as it was always the corners of the walls she's split it open on... so I'd take her out of the crate.. CARRY HER OUTSIDE {lol seriously} with her tail pinned down, run her outside until she was totally pooped, bring her in and crate her and do it all over again! lol Five years later... and she still has her tail, although when she went on an adoption for a couple years, she did have it split open again for a bit, but he just redid what I did again and it healed up. Even the little white tip that used to be bald has grown back nice. :)

Diesel has severe happy tail! I mean he takes people out because he whacks the backs of their knees and it HURTS! I mean that sucker can really leave a mark. His tail wassplit open for a very very long time, but with ointment and bandaids and correcting him when he licked it, his tail is 99% healed (knock on wood) and the hair is growing back (I don't know what the heck they did to him at his last home but boy was just not right).

I try very hard to get him to sit, or take him outside when I or anyone else pets him, that way he's out in the open and can't hit anything. The sitting part is the hardest lol, he rolls over when he's very excited. But I'd rather him roll over then keep beating his tail.

7. Hi there...I am so happy that I found this site....When I got my pitt she was missing about a half inch of fur on the tip of her tail and the skin was exposed, dried and cracked. I know when she was 5 mths old and was flown here, they slammed her tail in the crate and broke it so I thought this must have been the problem. Now by reading all this I'm pretty sure it is Happy tail. She is now at about an inch and a half of skin exposed. It gets very dry and cracks and bleeds, I have been keeping salve on it because man it looks itchy...lol
    My vet didn't even refer to it as happy tail but did recommend having it removed to avoid any further complications. I have been able to keep it under control by not letting it get dry by moisturizing during the dry seasons and it seems to be working.
    I am really glad to finally have found something on this...and am glad that I am not the only one out here abused by that whip..lol

Ya... happy tail is a pretty common issue with this breed! lol