Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Dog won't poop in the rain

Okay, Skuld is housebroken (or maybe I'm delusional?????:confused:), she will usually let us know she has to go by licking me in the morning, or bringing the leash to us, or whining....but when it rains....

SHE WON'T GO OUTSIDE!!!! It is making me MAD!!! And we never "catch" her in the act so she never really gets scolded for it. We will bring her out and she looks at us like we are crazy and only wants to come back in, Nonethless I will take her for a walk and THEN walk her around the backyard to her "poop spots", she rarely poops on a walk, I think she gets distracted. Either way it doesn't matter if she's outside for 10 minutes, 40 minutes, 10 minutes every half hour for several hours...nothing, she comes inside and poops on the rug, or sometimes someone's bed (never mine!!! just my in-laws...lol...) So, anyway it's been raining for like 2 weeks straight and she's been $#@!ting in the house like twice a day and it's driving everyone nutso and I don't know what to do about it.

She sometimes does this also after she's been outside playing/walking/whatever for up to 2 hours (usually 40 minutes to an hour), she will come in the house and $#@! right on the rug....I just don't understand why.:(

Images
    Mollie won't go outside in the rain either... unless she has her rain coat on (yes, I bought her a rain coat from Old Navy). She will happily go outside if she has her rain coat on, but if not, you can't drag her outside. Maybe you could invest in a rain coat? I think I paid about $15 for Mollie''s, and I got Bella one off E-bay for $10. :)

Images
    that's an interesting idea....I think it has to do with the ground being wet though, sometimes she won't go if there's too much dew on the ground even...

Mya doesn't like going out in the rain... it's pretty funny to watch her "tip toe" through the wet gr$#@!. It definitely does take her longer to go, so I just wear my crocks and we have a big umbrella

my dogs are the complete opposite we have a dog door and we close it when its raining really bad so they wont go outside and get muddy but my beagle has actually figured out how to open the latch on the dog door and him and Jake will go outside and play in the rain until they wear themselves out

Images
    You can get her "doggie booties". I don't know where, but I bet you could get them off ebay. One of our members bought her dog booties because she slid on the floors... her name is apbtmom76, you could shoot her a PM and ask her where she got her booties for Penny. :)

dont quote me on this but i think she got penny's booties from nutra-9.com

8. If it were me, the dog would never be allowed in the house unsupervised from now on. You've let this go for far too long and at this point she probably thinks it's okay...From now on, I would take her on her walk, spend 10 mins outside with her at her potty spot and then crate her if she doesn't go. I would give her a chance every 15ish minutes and take her outside for 10 mins then put her back in her crate and repeat until she goes. This will make for a long night but it's the only way I've been able to help teach puppies to go on odd surfaces(like wet gr$#@! and pavement):rolleyes:

Also, once she goes, I would still make her be in the same room with you since sneaking off has yielded such poor results. She's lost her priviledge to be in the house unsupervised.

Images
    She's not unsupervised, she's usually right next to me. Also, this is usually happening when I'm at work and my mother-in-law has her. It's rare that it happens with me because I will take her out every 15-30 minutes if I think she hasn't pooped in awhile. I've tried standing in one spot and she just stares and looks for bunny rabbits to chase. When I get home from work she's usually with me. I woke up at 4:30 this morning and practically had to drag her out, we were outside for a good 15 minutes before she finally went, and then I brought her out again at 7:30 this morning and she went again. The problem is going to be during the day, my m-i-l says she brings her out, but I don't know for how long and how frequent. I've advised my m-i-l to crate her but she feels bad and doesn't do it. She really can't be unsupervised as she always find something to chew that isn't hers...I have made suggestions to my m-i-l, but can't control what she actually does during the day. And still the dog does poop in the house while i'm home, it's not nearly as frequent as when i'm not though. And in the morning I have a limited amount of time before I go to work (like an 1 1/2 hours) for her to poop and if she doesn't do it within that time frame, it's frustrating.

Images
    I've also tried bringing treats with me when we go out so I can give her one when she poops outside...she gets a whiff of the treat and gets so excited that all of her attention is on getting (which I do not give), I wind up having to bring her in the house again and trying all over. I also do not know her daytime potty schedule. In the morning we get up she goes outside and eats her breakfast around 7am, at night she eats her dinner around 6:30-7pm and I wait until 8-8:30 to bring her out to poop (unless she pooped earlier on her walk then she doesn't have to go for the rest of the night...if she does I will bring her out, but that's unusual for her to have to go)

Yeah, it was from nutra-9.com :)

my dogs won't go out in the rain either.. Its ridiculous. my bulldog just holds it. So I don't have this issue. The other two will go out pee and run back in.. my English Bulldog however.. will NOT go.

13. mine won't go do their business in the rain either. fortunately for them (not me) i have a covered porch out the backdoor that becomes the alternate poop place during rain. that drives me nuts, i can only imagine how crazy it's making you from having it in the house.

14. And still the dog does poop in the house while i'm home, it's not nearly as frequent as when i'm not though.

Scoop up the poop, bring the poop outside with the dog. Put the poop in one of the dog's poop spots. Keep doing this.

Images
    Close all the doors in the house and gate off one area of the house. This way your m-i-l will not feel bad about putting her in crate and then if she poops during the day it is in the gated area.
    My dogs hate the rain and don't poop out side but they do hold it. Which I am sure is not good for them.
    Good Luck.

Images
    Another thing that's good is, don't stand in one spot, constantly walk around when you take the dog outside. If you stand in one spot, usually they will just sit down and look at you, so you have to keep moving around. I used to walk in circles, but after getting dizzy a few times, I've expanded now and walk all over the yard. That helps keep them moving, and if she hasn't pooped or peed in 20 minutes, bring her in and crate her for about 20 mins, then take her back out and repeat the process, and keep doing this till she poops, then she gets free time outside the crate. Also, praise like crazy when she does go potty outside, and even offer yummy treats to start off with. She'll get the hang of going to potty = praise and treats. :)

Images
    Yeah, closing the doors would be the logical thing to do, trust me I've told my m-i-l to do this....BUT the "cats have to go lay on the beds" so she refuses to do this (I told her to get a vinyl waterproof tablecloth and cover the beds then)

I don't usually stand in one spot with her, I tried it once and she sat down and stared at me I circle the yard with her several times, she likes to go near fences...I've tried circling her around her poopie spots to simulate the motions she would go to to take a poop...doesn't work. She pooped outside all day today, and I made sure I told her she was a good girl every time, I gave her treats when we got back inside....it wasn't raining today, but I'll take it. (My husband has also been away with work for the past 3 weeks and the frequency of pooping inside has definitely picked up, it's probably related....but I still don't want her pooping inside.)

wow you've gotten a lot of good advise here! :DI've used a bunch of these tricks with my pup.
    I don't think they can smell their "spot" as well when it rains.
    The rain coat works very well for me(my husband refuses to use it ,so let him stand in the rain then..)
    I use the crate trick too.If she comes out of the crate and goes outside and does her business(within 10-20 min) she gets to run the house for a while, if not she goes back in her crate.I wait a 15-20 minutes and try again.Its a pain but it works quickly they are pretty smart.My pup makes it unbearable for me by crying the whole 20 min. shes in her crate:rolleyes:.
    When your dog goes in the house clean that spot really well so the odor isn't there to smell.
    Good luck

Hi All,

I don't know if this helps, but my dog seems to favor the small bush in the yard when it's raining. It doesn't really stop the rain from getting on him, however, I think it makes me feel good or something. He doesn't seem to mind the rain, though- he loves to walk in it. We just have to make frequent stops so he can shake off.

Images
    For the time being, until your dog gets the hang of it, try to keep her confined to the kitchen and off the carpets, as they can smell where they have gone on the carpet. :o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast