Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Long Haired APBT

Hey guys, I was wondering has anybody seen a pitbull with long hair? I just came home from school today and decided to go to the local park to hang out with a few friends. As we were playing handball, I noticed a guy with 3 nice apbts but it has long hair. I only noticed the long hair when I pet the dog. I asked him if the one with the long hair was a purebreed. He claimed that it was and the other 2 apbts with the short coats were littermates with the long haired dog. However, he did mention that the 2 females were "inside" dogs while the long haired one was kept outside year round, even during the winter. Could the cold winter temperatures cause the apbt to grow long hair, like in other animals? Just curious.

How long are we talking here?

3. we're talking approximately 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. It wasn't like a golden retriever or a shepherd's, it was definitely under an inch. I'd say 1/2 inch the longest.

4. The reason why I asked this is because every apbt and apbt mix that I've seen( mixed with either shepherd or lab) had hair under 1/8 of an inch. My apbt has an extremely short black coat that feels like its skin rather than hair.

I've never seen one with long hair.I'd be inclined to think the dog was mixed with some lab or something.I've met a few pit/lab mixes and its hard to tell they are mixed.

Would help a bit to see some pics of the dog in question PitDogz.

Is the dog's hair like Peanut's?

Peanut's hair on her neck down to her shoulder blades is longer than the rest of her hair. I just ran a lint roller over her and found some that are 3/4" long. Her hair in general is longer than her friend Bella's.

I don't know if or what she's mixed with - she was a stray. But she looks more like a pit bull terrier than anything else. Between 17-18", 44-46 pounds. She's listed as a terrier mix at the vet.

Here her hackles are starting to go up - she has a wide strip that goes up then a narrower strip within that and those hairs are long too.

More pics in her album.

Images
    Bella is just a pup, but her hair is longer than Mollie's... I'd say probably an inch, where Mollie's is more like a half inch long, at the most. I don't know, I just know I'm ALWAYS covered in little red hairs.. At least Bella's are black and won't show up! :p

I'm pretty sure that most APBT are 0.5 inch hair length which is ideal. I think too that as for showing an APBT w/longer hair is a disqualification but is still a full blood. I read it and am too lazy to go find it again.

Quote Originally Posted by PitDogz View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering has anybody seen a pitbull with long hair? I just came home from school today and decided to go to the local park to hang out with a few friends. As we were playing handball, I noticed a guy with 3 nice apbts but it has long hair. I only noticed the long hair when I pet the dog. I asked him if the one with the long hair was a purebreed. He claimed that it was and the other 2 apbts with the short coats were littermates with the long haired dog. However, he did mention that the 2 females were "inside" dogs while the long haired one was kept outside year round, even during the winter. Could the cold winter temperatures cause the apbt to grow long hair, like in other animals? Just curious.

10. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1461263259

Go here to see pics of my big puppy!!

The weather would not change the dogs' hair like that. My best guess would be that another male got to their mother while she was in heat, as more than one dog can sire a litter.

Beautiful dog...Probably mixed...I keep thinking Border Collie

Images
    She is unique looking and quite beautiful. I would say mixed definately.

Images
    The dog looks mixed but every now and then there are APBT/SBT pups born with longer hair resulting from the days when the bull and terrier was getting started and longer coated and wirehair terriers were thrown in to the mix like wheatons, borders, etc... 99.99999% of these puppies are usually culled right away.

15. One of my females has a coat that's not longer, but "fluffier". No undercoat, it's just thicker.

On one forum years ago I know someone put up pictures of their APBT/BC mix. Not sure what the back story was, but she somehow knew the dog's heritage for sure. She had VERY pit-bully conformation, brick head, powerful chest, etc, but with a fluffy, silky Border Collie coat. Hilarious.

Images
    Yes, my Tri Color Kane has longer hair than any one on the dog yard. Very Plush. Definitly a pure bred APBT.

ZOE'S HAIR IS KINDA LONG AND THICK.WHEN SHE GETS A BATH THE WATER JUST ROLLS OFF HER.YOU HAVE TO RUB THE WATER IN.O BTW ZOE IS A MUTT.LOL

THEN BONNIE AND MUGS HAVE SHORT HAIR

MUGS

You know mutts are better than purebred. Lol just kidding.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by IronChef View Post
    One of my females has a coat that's not longer, but "fluffier". No undercoat, it's just thicker.

Do you think star will ever get as buff as her?

Images
    Straw I remember her dog too. Came from Chilliwack B.C. The dog was mostly white but the name escapes me for the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast