Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hunter Loses 3 Dogs Chasing 365lb Hog

Mike Savoy lost three of his dogs trying to catch this feral hog that was tearing up farmers' crops near Hutto. The pig weighed 365 pounds.

Hunter loses 3 dogs chasing 365-pound, Hutto-haunting hog

Big pig that wouldn't surrender refuses to go down without a fight.

By Mike Leggett
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Sunday, April 19, 2009

HUTTO Armed and dangerous, bayed against a creek bank in a nighttime conflagration of yowling hounds that interrupted his baby corn feast, the grizzled old boar saw his opening as the catch dogs moved in to grab an ear, a nose or testicles, anything they could latch onto to stop nearly 400 pounds of grit and instinct from breaking ranks again.

His massive head, powered by neck and shoulder muscles laid over with more than an inch of steel-plate gristle and fat that can stop a rifle bullet, came from below and to the side, ripping upward with three-inch, self-sharpening ivory daggers. One time, twice, three times and more ... right through the dog's Kevlar armor, killing 5-year-old Suzie.

There were nine punctures in the vest she wore, five more in the collar, right through the miracle fabric that's supposed to stop a bullet but could do nothing to protect the dog from the old boar's tusks. Sandy, another 5-year-old catch dog, and Dirty, a nearly year-old bay dog pup, would also die before the hog did.

Mike Savoy, a 27-year-old hog hunter employed by farmers around Hutto to help control herds of feral hogs that wreak absolute havoc on emerging crops in the area, got a bullet into the pig the first time, the first night his dogs bayed him. "I shot him in the head with a .22, but he shook it off and ran off," Savoy said. Savoy needed to bring in more dogs, so he left the pig that night.

A nighttime hog catch really is one step beyond chaos: dogs barking, hogs squealing, dog men trying to get into position to catch or kill the hogs. Usually it's the 200- to 250-pounders that cause the problems for hog dogs. They're supremely strong and much more agile than their monster cousins.

And, despite the stories to the contrary, a truly wild hog that weighs more than 200 pounds is a rarity. Even though they eat well at times, feral pigs just don't lay on the fat their domesticated relatives do. Some neutered wild boars can get fat because they stop breeding, but not too many people are catching, cutting and releasing hogs anymore. They do too much damage.

The idea is to remove the hogs from the landscape, either dead or alive, to help farmers preserve their land and crops. Savoy tried hog hunting with friends a few years ago and got hooked.

Since then, chasing hogs with dogs is his passion. It's gritty, dirty business at times, as the recent big pig incident proves. However, hog hunting typically is not a multi-night encounter with a giant pig that kills more dogs than hogs.

On his second attempt to catch the big pig, which Savoy knew by its tracks to have helped tear up more than 10 acres of corn in a single night, Savoy took along friend Chris Truitt.

"I thought he probably had taken off after the last time, but the dogs started in on a trail and it turned out to be him," Savoy said. When the dogs bayed the hog in a creek, Savoy and Truitt walked in to find the monster pig, still upright, still fighting.

"Chris shot him twice with a .357 (magnum) pistol," Savoy said. "He ran about 30 yards and bayed again. He shot him a third time, and the hog just took off running."

With wounded dogs to treat, the pair decided to wait until morning to try to pick up the trail again. They didn't have long to wait.
    "The pig was hiding in an old brush pile on the bank of the creek," Savoy said. After one quick break away from the dogs, the old hog turned again. Both Savoy and Truitt fired with rifles they had brought, and the boar fell dead.

"He weighed 365 pounds," Savoy said. "It's the largest (uncastrated) hog I've ever seen."

Savoy took a picture of the scales on which the boar was weighed, just to prove that his story was true. And it is a monster wild boar. Not only that, but the hog and his kin were living virtually in the city of Hutto city hogs with bad country manners. "I could see the new high school from where we caught this hog," Savoy said.

http://www.statesman.com/horns/conte...svc=7&cxcat=54

Boogieman Guest
    Sounds to me like he needs some work on his hog hunting skills.

Does anyone know which breed the catchdogs were?

and RIP

RIP dogs.

And holy moly to that boar! I've never seen anything over 220 and that was only once!

Dogs get injured and occasionally dogs get killed. Often times it has nothing to do with lack of preparation or ignorance on the owner's part. It's just the way things can go.

You can either play ball or you can go home. It's up to each person to decide what their choice will be.

Boogieman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    RIP dogs.

And holy moly to that boar! I've never seen anything over 220 and that was only once!

Dogs get injured and occasionally dogs get killed. Often times it has nothing to do with lack of preparation or ignorance on the owner's part. It's just the way things can go.

You can either play ball or you can go home. It's up to each person to decide what their choice will be.
    All I got to say is "One hog, one woman, one knife". Some will know what it means others won't.

To have guns and have to go after a hog for 3 days is what I was referring to. If I had a 357 and a 22 rifle that hog and I would meet one time and one time only.
    Last edited by Boogieman; 04-20-2009 at 10:47 PM.

RIP dogs.

Check this bad boy out

Sounds like some good eating for a while.

Sorry to hear the dogs died, but there is risk in everything, and sometimes it happens.

8. RIP dogs, I had thought I'd like to try hog hunting but this certainly makes me think twice...

I do not use my dogs for hog hunting, never needed to. I have killed 8 hogs in the last year and all of them were of that size... one shot, one kill... I do not put down folks who use dogs at all, I would just not do it....I might take risks, but I do not ask my dogs to....
    I do not see the macho in cutting the throat of a hog that your dogs have worn out and are holding down.... some guys however get off on that.

RIP dogs..

It is unfortunate that this had to happened to the dogs but that is a big old boar..and things happen.

Images
    Aww, how sad. RIP pups.

I do not see the macho in cutting the throat of a hog that your dogs have worn out and are holding down.... some guys however get off on that.
    We don't do any of it for "macho" reasons. I personally prefer watching the dogs work in an area that they can excel at versus setting up a blind and sitting in it while a bunch of hogs wander into a clearing where a bunch of feed was dumped. I don't think that picking pigs off one-by-one in such a manner is fair hunting.

It would be equivalent to saying that people who hunt rabbits and coons with dogs are only looking for a testosterone rush.

Aw poor doggies, rest in peace babies. You can't hold the owner accountable, it said in the article that the dogs were wearing the proper protection and yet the hog still got them. That's not the owner's fault, that's just a lucky hog, he did what he could to protect his animals.

We don't do any of it for "macho" reasons. I personally prefer watching the dogs work in an area that they can excel at versus setting up a blind and sitting in it while a bunch of hogs wander into a clearing where a bunch of feed was dumped. I don't think that picking pigs off one-by-one in such a manner is fair hunting.

It would be equivalent to saying that people who hunt rabbits and coons with dogs are only looking for a testosterone rush.

I believe I said that I do not put down the guys who do this, I just don't see it, any more that you see hunting with blinds and or feeders...
    I can not compare hunting rabbits with hunting pigs, those guys are not putting thier dogs in danger... I know that there are articles of protection in the vests and things the dog hunters use and that does help protect the dogs, I am glad for that .... my dogs are just pets.... and I want to keep them that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    I believe I said that I do not put down the guys who do this, I just don't see it, any more that you see hunting with blinds and or feeders...
    I can not compare hunting rabbits with hunting pigs, those guys are not putting thier dogs in danger... I know that there are articles of protection in the vests and things the dog hunters use and that does help protect the dogs, I am glad for that .... my dogs are just pets.... and I want to keep them that way...

Oh, I know you didn't put down the guy. I didn't mean to infer that you did. :)

I just was stating my own view of it as well.

I don't know anyone who doesn't run their dogs with cut collars and/or cut vests. I've heard of some people, but I've never dealt with anyone like that.

As in anything, you've got some people that do things properly and with the utmost care & respect for the animals involved, and then you've got some that could care less and only want something to brag about.

Images
    Using a pup that is just under 1 year old is not good hunting...he basically sacrificed that pup. Mr Savoy needs to re-evaluate his expertise and judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDawg View Post
    Using a pup that is just under 1 year old is not good hunting...he basically sacrificed that pup. Mr Savoy needs to re-evaluate his expertise and judgement.
    ITA!
    I really should not post on this thread since I have no idea about hog hunting. Heck I didn't even know people still did it, or that dogs wore little uniforms/protection. Now with that said, a year old? that seems really young. That's still a baby:(

-Poor little pups, RIP fur friends:(

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDawg View Post
    That dog was a bay-dog-in-training, or so I gather. It's not unheard of to start training dogs of that age in the woods. We've lost a dog of that age before (Catahoula - bay dog).

Again, it's a sad loss, but I guess I'd rather see them perish in that manner than be beloved pets that get to run free and get hit by cars. But of course, I'd rather not see them perish at all.

To be honest, if you hunt with dogs, you're going to deal with injuries and possibly a death or two. Again, the decision is up to you and what you feel comfortable in doing and/or desiring to do.

I prefer to hunt with my dogs vs. not doing anything with them or just putting them into the show circuit. That's just my opinion.

yep. lots of guys here in East Texas use dogs for hunting, it is very common... I do not take any stand against it.. not into showing either,soo.... in my case I am just a pet guy... my dogs are not much good for anything except loving me... I enjoy thier companionship, they entertain me... I guess I would fear for them and would not enjoy that...
    I get a kind of adrinilan rush from personal fear and at times enjoy some of it, but the fear I would get from my dogs and a large boar, I would not enjoy... but some folks really enjoy watching thier dogs "at work".

Glad the hog is finally dead.

Rip, pups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast