Is it irresponsible for a Pit Bull owner to use an invisible fence?

Would an invisible fence stop a determined Pit Bull from a dog on the other side? What if the power goes out?

2. 100% yes. No invisible fence will hold back a pit bull if it wants that dog/cat/rabbit

Images
    I actually had an Invisible Fence guy come to my house to talk to me...
    He couldn't even guarantee that the fence would contain my Jack Russell's if they wanted to get to something on the other side.
    He told me that dogs with high prey drives would bear the shock to get out and then not re-enter....
    So we decided against it.

The I.F Co. also tells you that they do not recommend that you leave dogs outside alone/unattended with an invisible fence....even if they stay in, you can't protect them from intruders (animal/human) coming in to them.

an invisible fence will not keep a driven APBT contained. He'll take the shock and keep on rolling. It also won't keep other animals out. Be it bobcats, curious dogs, etc. there is alot of room for trouble if an electric fence is your only means of containing an APBT (or many other breeds for that matter!).

Some GSD's are the same way, hit the fence, roll with it and keep on going, they were suppose to go thru the pain, that's why they can get shot and keep going if able to, of course that is an average not meant to encomp$#@! all GSD's out there.

6. Electric fences won't work with this breed....

Images
    I have never nor will ever trust a n electric fence to contain ANY breed of dog. There's a dip $#@! in my neighborhood that has one in their front yard( they have a fenced in back yard, so why the feel the need to have the dogs run free and bark at everyone in the front I can't figure out) and their Pomeranian has come out in the street twice now barking and nipping at my dogs that were leashed. I have confronted the owner on both occasions and received lame excuses about battery in collar or I don't know what happened( never an apology) If it happens again, I'm calling the police and having them summons him for leash law violations. So if this little 10lb ankle biter can go through an electric fence, whats to stop an APBT

depends on the dog, any breed can be fine or not fine with one.... a friend has a pit/corso mix. she has high prey drive, but the shock from the Electric fence keeps her in as she is petrified of it... so for her it works..

my neighbor has a pit/chow mix, and she is constantly running thru the electric fence to come to my yard and go to the pond at the firehouse.. so for her, it doesnt work..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maryellen View Post
    depends on the dog, any breed can be fine or not fine with one.... a friend has a pit/corso mix. she has high prey drive, but the shock from the Electric fence keeps her in as she is petrified of it... so for her it works..

my neighbor has a pit/chow mix, and she is constantly running thru the electric fence to come to my yard and go to the pond at the firehouse.. so for her, it doesnt work..
    LOL...well it's a crap shoot then...I certainly wouldn't put big money into a fence that even the Representative for the company won't guarantee.....
    Then I've got a very expensive fence that won't work for me.....

Images
    I personally wouldn't use one for my dogs.

i dont like them only because other animals can come into the yard, and they short circuit sometimes and some dogs like the jolt they get when they go over it.....

i prefer a secure fence instead.... (especially since last night mr bear was here and wrecked my yard.. he toppled my fake stuffed bear, dug up a cement duck, knocked over some stuff... dam critter)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maryellen View Post
    i dont like them only because other animals can come into the yard, and they short circuit sometimes and some dogs like the jolt they get when they go over it.....

i prefer a secure fence instead.... (especially since last night mr bear was here and wrecked my yard.. he toppled my fake stuffed bear, dug up a cement duck, knocked over some stuff... dam critter)
    LOL..on your bear...my parents have that problem too...I can't tell you how many bird feeders and wrought iron hanger poles they've gone through because a bear has ruined them.....

As I said in my first reply to this post..I spoke with a Rep. from I.F Co.
    He couldn't even guarantee that my Jacks could be kept in....AND, the idea of a predator (human/animal) coming into the yard wasn't comforting either....so we passed on it.
    I wasn't about to spend big money on having something installed that wouldn't work for me....literally/figuratively.
    It was later on the net that I saw pics of a dog that had his neck burned from a short in the system or something...it was a while ago, so the specifics are kind of foggy....but that was the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Would an invisible fence stop a determined Pit Bull from a dog on the other side? What if the power goes out?
    No, it wouldn't. Nor would it prevent any other drivey dog, regardless of breed, from ignoring the shock.

Images
    While it seems as though it may be a responsible way to contain, I dont think it is for a couple of reasons.

1. ABPT's will stop nothing sometimes to get what they want......
    2. Why would you want other dogs/animals to enter your yard acceptingly.....those without fences that tie out, well that a little different, if you are going to install a fence it should be privacy...IMO

15. No, Mastiffs and Bulldogs will easily go threw the shock if determined.

You guys keep mentioning if a bully was DETERMINED they would go through a invisible fence. Have you guys forgotten what breed we raise and own, They don't need any determination to handle a quick shock...Sometimes our dogs get a random squirrel up there butts and will do whatever they want if there not contained properly they don't NEED something to see or chase sometimes they will just run around aimlessly LOL.

Anyways, no those fences are not safe for any breed, you'd be better off with some garden fence and some metal stakes vrs an invisible fence quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by jennay2 View Post
    100% yes. No invisible fence will hold back a pit bull if it wants that dog/cat/rabbit
    agree 100% . Especially a game bred pit. The pit will feel the shock YES. but they will ignore it, just like they were bred to. They will ignore it and go after the prey if the pit is game.

invisible fences are not for pitbulls.

18. I knew a woman who tried one with her bulmastiff and as she was talking to a neighbor, her dog came and sat next to her with the collar shocking as she sat on the line. She could see the dogs neck twitching as the pulses went through it, but it didn't move. The collar went in the bin after that.

I would say it depends on your dog. My dog is very sensitive. Gets her "feeling hurt easily" if you know what I mean. When she was a puppy I would let her out to potty and a few minutes later check on her and she woudn't be in the yard. She would either be in the neighbor's yard playing with their yorkie (!!!) or wandering around the culdesac we live on. We thought about tearing down our fence and building a 6' fence, but then she easily jumped my neighbors fence when I took her over there one day. So it was an invisible fence we went to. It goes the perimeter of our yard. She only had to get shocked a couple of times and she learned quick. Then she didn't even have to have to collar on. Now like I said, Jilly is very sensitive. She is very sweet. She's also not a purebred. Maybe that makes a difference with her demeaner. I do not leave her in the yard alone. When I am not home she is in the house. When I am home and I let her out I only let her out for a few minutes and I check on her constantly, or I go out with her.

Oh, and I wouldn't depend on the invisible fence, only. When I walk my dogs in my neighborhood alot of ppl have them. There is nothing to keep the dogs running through. I would only use it as a backup to a real fence if your fence fails to contain your dog like mine did.