do pitbulls head split?

people tell me that my APBT head will split when she is matured, is this true ? split meaning the crack like line in the centre of the skull

Does it have something to do with brain getting too big for the skull? :rolleyes: I hear that a lot about Pit Bulls nowadays. I always thought that was a rumor bout Dobermans.

It shouldn't. I'm not guaranteeing it won't, I guess freak things like that can happen. But its not a normal thing lol

What? I thought about this before posting. Do you mean get wider? Look kind of like a square with a space in the middle?

If not, I have no idea who would say a dogs head splits.

erm yes like a square with a space in the middle lol

Images
    I understand that you are talking about. It is not the splitting nor cracking of the skull by any means, but just the shape of the head.
    The structure of the head and its proportions are based on the genetics of the dog.
    Some have wider heads than others with more pronounced features. Yes, heads grow and develop as a pup matures just like other parts of the body.

To understand the skull head structure better take a peek at these links.

http://www.apbtconformation.com/head.htm

and

http://www.apbtconformation.com/headstudy2.htm

http://www.apbtconformation.com/headstudy3.htm

So, you mean a block head right? That is simply the shape of the head. His skull isn't going to crack.

I get the feeling you are talking about the musculature structure surrounding the thoracic vertebrae (forehead) of the APBT. The reason for this "spilt" is the temporalis muscles stretching over the forehead. This explains:

Attached is a 22 cm "Pit bull" skull below for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tq-395-lg.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	3344  

Quote Originally Posted by Patch O' Pits View Post
    I understand that you are talking about. It is not the splitting nor cracking of the skull by any means, but just the shape of the head.
    The structure of the head and its proportions are based on the genetics of the dog.
    Some have wider heads than others with more pronounced features. Yes, heads grow and develop as a pup matures just like other parts of the body.

To understand the skull head structure better take a peek at these links.

http://www.apbtconformation.com/head.htm

and

http://www.apbtconformation.com/headstudy2.htm

http://www.apbtconformation.com/headstudy3.htm
    I've been staring at the pics and at Peanut. Decided she's got the perfect head for a Nut.

This cracked me up

Remember the APBT is not a rhinoceros that hits things with its head so extra thick bone in the skull does not help

Pit bulls have butt heads.

I think my skull is gonna crack from reading this thread :D

I'm still not sure what it means but I have also heard that my cats will suck a baby's breath away.

So not true there. Otherwise my kid would be stupid and sometimes it would make my life easier if she was. LOL

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakatz View Post
    I'm still not sure what it means but I have also heard that my cats will suck a baby's breath away.
    This always cracks me up! If it were true, my kids would have never lived through infancy... the only thing I ever worried about was them being scratched.... thus getting Cat Scratch Fever

at Zoe, these dogs have butt heads... these dogs ARE butt heads!

Boogieman Guest
    The only way your dogs skull is going to split is if you hit it with a baseball bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    The only way your dogs skull is going to split is if you hit it with a baseball bat.
    Or an out of control zoomie into a brick wall....well...maybe not...I think a pit bull skull can break a brick wall :D

Images
    Some people used to and still do refer to a dog's head "popping"...but is just means that the muscles on the head grow and the head appears bigger as they mature. It is a stupid term and makes people think things like your post.

I've also heard it called "breaking"...when the head starts to square up as the dog matures.

19. Remember the APBT is not a rhinoceros that hits things with its head so extra thick bone in the skull does not help

Well they obviously haven't met Molly. That's how she returns with her rope toy. She runs up, puts her head down and slams right into my stomach. She used to do it outside and slam in to the back of my knees knocking me down but I sidestepped and she went cartwheeling through the snow. That put a stop to the back of the knee head butting. :D

20. Quote Originally Posted by Strakatz View Post

Old wives tale.

But... I can tell you how it originated...

Babies drink milk. Cats like milk. Cats smell milk on baby's breath and will get close to them and sniff their lips.

It is quite possible that a cat could sit on a baby's chest to "lip sniff" and accidently smother it.