Images

Submissive/Dominant dog, HELP!

OK, summing this up quickly, because I just woke up . Honestly forgot the whole thought story behind this thread last night, but here goes!

I have came to the conclusion that it is going to be very hard to train my dog a) because she is very submissive and b) she is dominant.

I was discussing temperament testing with a member here, and she explained how in one part someone scary looking with a cane comes out and starts making noise, and my dog would fail because I said she would end up putting her tail between her legs and her ears back as well and peeing on the floor. She acts like this at the vet as well.

And as far as her with my other dog, I CANNOT take them out together, they are 100% nice to each other, but she has to annoy the crap outta the Pug.... I HAD to take them out together yesterday because I had less than 2 minutes to leave, what does she do? She stands over top of him the whole time and wont let him move.

So I say come on Destiny. She comes on my front porch, looks at me and pees. :( Is there going to be ANY way to fix this?

Meant to add: She growls and barks at weird things. Such as dogs on tv. My fork hit my bowl last night and she FLIPPED, sometimes when she hears a floorboard creak. But its mainly the tv, and very small noises that are very faint, any suggestions on that as well?
    Last edited by April; 03-28-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Images
    Is she ever dominate or aggressive with people? Or does she only show this with other dogs? OR does she only do this with your other dog? Do you yell at her? Lose your temper? Has/does anyone else? Has she ever fought another dog? Where did you get her from?

LOTS of questions I know, but background is very important to me to try to figure out how to approach fixing the behavior. LOL Maybe someone else with more experience would know better then I. ;)

How old is the dog? How long have you had her?
    Without more information my guess would be that she is very insecure and if a more dominant dog approached her she wouldn't hesitate to $#@!ume the submissive roll.
    Have you ever done any obediance training with her?

Images
    Ok in response to Alma first :).

No not with people at all.....She is the biggest doll ever. But if you noticed in my pics where she was giving Madison kisses some people said she was being dominant by standing over her also which I didn't notice that much because they were running around like nutballs playing .....I think its something smaller than her, she feels like she has to stand over top of it, makes no sense to me. My Pug is the only dog smaller than her that she has been around, the only 3 other dogs she has been around are my neighbor's Pits and they are all 50+lbs.

I swatted her butt once when she was a puppy, other than that, nothing. And we got her at 12 weeks it was more a birthday suprise for me and once I got there and saw the conditions I gave them the $100 they wanted for the non papered pup to get her the hell outta there and to the vet :)

I am $#@!uming she was the runt of the litter or something, they said they had 11 pups and she had been there for 4 extra weeks and no one wanted her, they had her outside in November on a chain :(......

She has never even gotten an attitude towards another dog, she is the biggest lush ever. She just seems to wanna stand on top of them :confused:....Well smaller ones anyways....She will stand over top of Shadow not letting him move, yet she cleans his coat the whole time

I have had her since 12 weeks (thats what the vet said she was) and she turned 7 months on the 20th :)

She listens to us very well, but once she is out in public, she is indeed insecure. I take that back, a few weeks ago the Pug ran in the room right under Madison's feet and I said SHADOW!!! And she ran in her cage and laid down, he just looked at me like WHAT mom, get over it!!

So I guess I need to work on the insecure attitude but not sure how to go about it.

It sounds to me like she is in the dominant position of the two dogs but it is common for a dog to be really uncomfortable in that position if they don't have any confidence.
    I would suggest taking a basic obedience course then maybe taking some agility cl$#@! you would be amazed the difference that can make in a dog with low self esteem her confidence will increase rapidly.

As far as the peeing in front of you when she comes could be one of two things
    1. She is extremely submissive too you.
    Or more likely
    2. At some point when she was a puppy you made her come too you for punishment so now everytime you call her to come she is scared she is gonna get in trouble.

Try just calling her randomly for no reason then giving her lots of praise and excitement when she comes if you need to punish her for something go to her to do it, the "come" command should always be a positive experience for them or else they won't want to come when called.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitlove View Post
    Try just calling her randomly for no reason then giving her lots of praise and excitement when she comes if you need to punish her for something go to her to do it, the "come" command should always be a positive experience for them or else they won't want to come when called.
    Thats awesome advice. :D

I wouldnt know how to help you April. I've never had such a submissive pooch. :confused: I'll try to point others this way though. :)

Images
    Thanks guys! Agility is coming soon I cannot wait! :)

Images
    **bump**

all dogs go thru a fearful stage as they mature see below. also, a dogs genetic background plays a huge part in their development.. agility might build her confidence, or it might make her worse if she is in a reactive stage right now.. maybe do some regular obedience cl$#@! or rally cl$#@! to work on her focus for now?

also get the book Help For Your Fearful Dog by Nicole Wilde its on amazon.com and get the book Control Unleashed, its on amazon.com as well. both great books to help those with dogs that are going thru fear stages or are fearful due to genetics /lack of socialization ..

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/Dev...talStages.html

Images
    Thanks Maryellen. :)