1. Pitbull Licks himself ALL the time and then vomits, please help!!!!

My 2 year old pitbull usually sleeps next to my bed and during the night he will lick his chops, lick his legs , back, whatever. Sometimes his paws as well. Then he will end up dry heaving over and over and over and over and sometimes we can make it outside quick enough but usually we cant and he vomits on the floor. I've heard people mention allergies but I REALLY doubt thats it as he doesnt do it ALL the time. It's usually when its quiet and I guess he gets bored. What can I do to deter him licking himself like this? I've tried apple bitter on his paws because he used to just lick those raw when he was bored but that stuff wears off so fast and then he goes back to doing it anyway. please help

-Steve

Images
    ** Bump**

Anyone?

Images
    Ok, I'll try to help ya. :)

Have you tried a frozen peanut butter filled kong at night? Or another toy they love?

Images
    Mollie also does this, I usually nudge her and tell her to stop... sometimes I have to tell her 3 or 4 times. I think it's mostly out of boredom, and the bitter apple has never worked with Mollie. Sometimes, she's simply licking the comforter. :rolleyes:

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollie's Nana View Post
    Sometimes, she's simply licking the comforter. :rolleyes:
    Jess licks a lot as well. Could very well just be a pit bull thing. :confused:

lol your dog must taste bad if hes puking from licking himself.

Nah... Just kidding but all kidding aside..

The first step in solving any behavior problem is to make an appointment with your vet; it's possible your dog is struggling with an unseen health issue. A dog who is constantly licking may just need something better to do, but he could be suffering from gastric reflux, allergies, or other ailments. A thorough veterinary checkup will help you rule out physical reasons for the behavior. So if your really worried.... I would take the dog to the vet to see if they will know..

Like maybe its a food allergy ? What food is he on now? Don't go with Science Diet Sensitive Skin...it has all grains and very little meat. But yea.. Talk to your vet. There has to be a reason for the compulsive licking. Maybe he needs more exercise and he's bored or the food allergies that i mentioned..

Also. Google obsessive compulsive Disorder for more info.. Sounds like your dog may have this idk though..

Images
    What you described in my Sophie. She is always licking herself and I have to remind her not too. We just watch her and try to not let it happen very often but truthfully I have never figured out a way to fully stop the licking. If I give her a blanket she will usually suck and lick on it.
    She also vomits just like you described, and it is always early in the morning and she dry heaves, waking me up out of a dead sleep (she sleeps with us and she normally makes it to the floor but we have had a couple of accidents on our bed over the years.. This doesn't happen very often a couple of times a month and she has been check by the vet and is fine.
    So I really don't have advice for you just an "I understand" and we have learned to handle her issues and watch the licking.
    Wish I could be of more help, Good Luck!

8. Quote Originally Posted by pitgirl17 View Post
    What you described in my Sophie. She is always licking herself and I have to remind her not too. We just watch her and try to not let it happen very often but truthfully I have never figured out a way to fully stop the licking. If I give her a blanket she will usually suck and lick on it.
    She also vomits just like you described, and it is always early in the morning and she dry heaves, waking me up out of a dead sleep (she sleeps with us and she normally makes it to the floor but we have had a couple of accidents on our bed over the years.. This doesn't happen very often a couple of times a month and she has been check by the vet and is fine.
    So I really don't have advice for you just an "I understand" and we have learned to handle her issues and watch the licking.
    Wish I could be of more help, Good Luck!

EXACTLY my situation. He only does it in the AM and wakes me up with the dry heaving. He's puked on 2 beds in the past month and i had to throw them out. IDK what it is.

I dont think its an allergy because its inconsistent. As of this post he hasnt done it in a week. I feed him Nutro Max dry food and sometimes instinct wet food.

I've done the PB kong but he makes too much noise with it at night to be sleeping in our room with it.

IDK, I'll just go to the vet and see what they say, he has a checkup coming soon regardless. I just dont want to spend a month feeding him some special food when hes SO inconsistent as it is, he could go a month and not do it anyway.

Images
    IMO I would wait until my next vey appointment. I wouldn't make an extra trip. I also wouldn't give my dogs a Kong w/ peanut butter before bed. They are way to loud and it sound gross. About 6 months ago we changed Sophie's food over to Wellness grain free and it really helped with all her skin problems but I did notice that it seemed to help with her throwing up. She only dry heaves about once a month after we switched her food. (This is just an observation and not in anyway medically sound) We have just dealt with this all her life and the doctor says nothing is wrong so we don't worry about it. We just watch her and make sure she is in no rooms by her self so she can't throw up on anything.
    I really do wish I had a solution for you. We have learned to live with it.
    Oh, I don't give her any water before bed. We stop water at 9:00 p.m. and that really seems to help. Another observation is that if she is hard core chewing right before bed she usually throws up so she must relax and no chewing at least an hour before bed and she is fine.
    Good Luck keep me informed.