Cool 9 week old only one testical?

Hi guys! (and gals : ) i have a 9 week old APBT and he only has one testical thus far......do you know if its common for them to drop at different times, or at what age is it common to have both? hmm...i've done some reading on the internet but nothing very helpful yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Tiffany

Images
    Check cryptorchid online. :)

Images
    Some are late bloomers, some never drop. If it doesn't come down he will have to be neutered to lessen the risk for cancer.

If he was bought as pet quality it is no big deal; however if you planned on showing and it doesn't drop that won't be possible.

If they aren't down by 6 months chances are it isn't going to drop. I'd discuss it with the vet. Can you feel it at all?

My boys all had them by 8 weeks except for Smootch who was neutered

Images
    Maybe you'll get a discount when you take him in to have him neutered?? Just kidding. I would guess it just hasn't dropped yet. Like Patch said, it's no big deal, unless you were planning to show him. Has he had his well puppy visit with the vet yet? If so, what did the vet say about it? If he hasn't, be sure to have the vet check him out when he goes in for his first round of puppy shots. Let us know what you find out, and post pictures of your little pup.

Images
    It can vary, Attie's had already dropped by the time we got him at around 9 weeks. My friend's boxer didnt drop until he was about 10 months. Its just a waiting game.

Images
    If it is not dropping, it could still be there and needs to be found and removed. Ones that do not drop are far more susceptible to becoming cancerous. A good vet will look for the "stragler"...

Quote Originally Posted by Mollie's Nana View Post
    Maybe you'll get a discount when you take him in to have him neutered?? .
    Lol. the irony is I think it will cost more.. it's more complicated than a regular neuter and so it will probably cost more. The retained testicle is in the abdomen somewhere, it can be anywhere from where an ovary would be to just outside the scrotal sac, vet won't have any way to know where until they go looking for it. Because i heard ..... if the OP decides to nueter his 1 testicle dog then they will remove only the visible testicle.. But the but the retained testicle will secrete testosterone, so he will "act" intact-spraying, roaming, breeding etc. He's likely to start those behaviors come springtime. So yea.. And the testicle is going to be not in his ball sac. THUS. the ball sac cant get get loose and sacy .. THUS the temperature will be different if it is not in that sac.... so.. there is a high risk of this testicle becoming cancerous in later life.(I THINK...... NOT SURE IF THE DOG TESTICULAR CANCER CONCEPTS ARE THE SAME CONCEPT AS HUMAN TESTICLE CONCEPTS.. but ask your vet..) Oh and and if the dog breeds , its genetic meaning the male pups(female pups dont have balls .) will most likely have the same problem....

so yea......

Also your dog is only 9 weeks... Give it time to grow a bit and see if the other testicle drops down or what ever..

Quote Originally Posted by Jelet View Post
    the OP decides to nueter his 1 testicle dog then they will remove only the visible testicle
    This is not true. The vet will remove both testicles. They will just have to search for the one that has not dropped.

I would not be too concerned at 9 weeks old. But, if the other testicle has not dropped by 6 months of age, then I would get the pup to a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDawg View Post
    If it is not dropping, it could still be there and needs to be found and removed. Ones that do not drop are far more susceptible to becoming cancerous. A good vet will look for the "stragler"...
    We lost a great dog to this, he was a rescue from the SPCA and they only removed the Testical that hadn't dropped. We had no clue that he still had one and within a year the cancer was the size of two oranges. he went downhill in a weeks time and died.

Have this checked and have it treated.

Quote Originally Posted by diva View Post
    This is not true. The vet will remove both testicles. They will just have to search for the one that has not dropped.

I would not be too concerned at 9 weeks old. But, if the other testicle has not dropped by 6 months of age, then I would get the pup to a vet.
    That is not always the case. the SPCA asent us home and we had noclue that Jack had only one removed and the outcome was heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelet View Post
    Lol. the irony is I think it will cost more.. it's more complicated than a regular neuter and so it will probably cost more. The retained testicle is in the abdomen somewhere, it can be anywhere from where an ovary would be to just outside the scrotal sac, vet won't have any way to know where until they go looking for it. Because i heard ..... if the OP decides to nueter his 1 testicle dog then they will remove only the visible testicle.. But the but the retained testicle will secrete testosterone, so he will "act" intact-spraying, roaming, breeding etc. He's likely to start those behaviors come springtime. So yea.. And the testicle is going to be not in his ball sac. THUS. the ball sac cant get get loose and sacy .. THUS the temperature will be different if it is not in that sac.... so.. there is a high risk of this testicle becoming cancerous in later life.(I THINK...... NOT SURE IF THE DOG TESTICULAR CANCER CONCEPTS ARE THE SAME CONCEPT AS HUMAN TESTICLE CONCEPTS.. but ask your vet..) Oh and and if the dog breeds , its genetic meaning the male pups(female pups dont have balls .) will most likely have the same problem....

so yea......

Also your dog is only 9 weeks... Give it time to grow a bit and see if the other testicle drops down or what ever..
    This is definately genetic and this dog should not be bred if it does not drop this testical.

If it hasn't dropped by 9 months of age, schedule the neuter. It will cost more than a normal neuter as it's basically an exploratory surgery to go in and find the retained one.

When a testical is left in the body, the chances of it becoming cancerous and drastically increased. Testicles reside outside and below the body for a reason.

And this is a hereditary condition. If it doesn't drop, please put an end to any thoughts of breeding this dog (if he's even fertile...some are completely sterile).

Thanks for all of your help guys! He has been in for his first set of shots and check up..the vet suggested waiting it out for a bit because i spoke with the breeder and he also mentioned that his were "late bloomers" as well, they didn't drop until about 4 months of age. -I'm not intending on breeding..I purchased the pup as a family pet/show dog. I would love to show him and use him in competition sports but if this is not possible i will just love him all the same!! : )

I will post pics soon! i'm still trying to learn how :p

I have had 3 male pitbulls and only 1 had both testicles fully drop before 6 months of age. My vet told me it wasn't very common for them to drop before that age so I just took it for what it was worth. I wasn't planning on breeding them anyways. I would say it all just really depends on how the dog matures. Kind of like the girlies. They don't all go into heat at exactly 6 months. Some go in heat at 7, 8, 9, or even 12 months. Dogs are different like humans. You can go by a rule of thumb, but its not always correct.

Both testicles should be descended at birth and at 2 months at the latest. Although many will give the dog extra time to allow the undescended testicle to drop from the abdominal/inguinal area, it's not a desirable trait in a dog and is a hereditary issue.

Nine months is the longest I would give the dog and that's mostly to give it a chance so the dog doesn't have to undergo an more invasive neuter. Regardless, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of breeding a dog with cryptorchidism.

Thanks guys, i'm gonna give him some time to drop the undecended testical on his own. I don't want him to have to have such an invasive surgury if it can be avoided. (he will not be bred either way) and i also spoke with his breeder and informed him of the issue...he did not sound surprised...it would be nice if he would front some of the money back or something! He knew i was purchasing the pup for show quality..and i paid a lot of the lil guy. But, i guess live and learn eh?

Thanks again for all the in put. I was mainly just concerned with his health!
    I'll give him awhile and then speak further with the vet about surgury. Keep your fingers crossed and send the lil undecended teste some good vibes! LoL

-Tiffany

Just keep in mind that if the testicle does not descend, the chances are outrageously high for it to become cancerous. It will definitely need to be removed regardless of the invasiveness of the surgery. And often times the vet can feel around for it and get a general location so it defintiely helps out when knowing where to cut and look.

Also, since the testicles must be kept cooler than normal body temperature for the health and viability of the sperm, any sperm in that undescended testicle (even if it drops late) are usually killed thus resulting in sterility. Just a little fyi.

I wish your dog the best and keep us updated. :)

my 8 month old pitt only has one testicle also. guess its not gonna drop. looking for info on surgery, like how much will it cost and if its possible to breed him

Quote Originally Posted by tanks mama View Post
    my 8 month old pitt only has one testicle also. guess its not gonna drop. looking for info on surgery, like how much will it cost and if its possible to breed him

you do NOT want to breed him. Having one or both testicals undecended is a genetic disorder and dogs with this disorder should not produce!
    Its call Chryptochid(spelling)

My guy's father did not have both testicals until almost 5 months of age...so, its highly likely that he's in the clear..and just a "late bloomer" but yours is already 8 months and still has One undecended...I would recomend him seeing a vet and discussing surgery to remove the undecended testical to avoid cancer and have him neutured at the same time...Its likely that he is steril anyway... i'm sure others will chime in with suggestions/opinions too