Unhappy Skin Problems with blue Pit

I have a female blue APBT and she is experiencing hair loss. I know it is typical of blue coated dogs to be prone to skin and coat disease and have done alot of research on it before considering buying my dog. First, my dog started with a bald patch in between her ears on the middle of her head around 4-5 month old. I had an incident where someone stole my puppy off my porch one morning when I let my girls out for their morning bathroom trip. She never had any signs of hair loss prior to this. The person keep her for about a week and when I threatened to bring the police into the matter the dog was returned. The person who stole my dog was a maintenence worker at the place I was staying. I ended up moving out because I didn't want to stay in a place where the workers stole from the tenants. I know I should have pressed charges, but I was really just more concerned with getting my puppy back. Anyways, when she was returned I didn't notice immediately, but a couple hours after she was returned I saw the spot on her head. I was livid about the treatment of my dog. I took her to the vet because I thought she may have been attacked by another dog, but she was fine. The vet informed me she would be fine. So I took her home and days later more spots became apparent, so I returned to the vet. The vet said she might have demodectic mange and I should get a skin scrape to verify it. So after spending a couple hundred dollars in vet bills, she didn't have demodex afterall vets couldn't figure out what it was and stated maybe it was an allergy to the food she was fed when she was gone and to give it a few weeks to clear up. I did as I was told and gradually put her back on the Nutro Large Breed Puppy food I was feeding her, but the hair loss just continued down to her neck. After I few months she developed some spots on her back and one by her hind leg. I couldn't fingure out for the life of me what was causing this condition. So I tried changing her food once more to Diamond Sport Hi-Protein. I've tried applying Sulfadene to the patch because there was apparent scratching. I've added puppy vitamin supplements to try to enhance her immune system. I saw some improvements in her coat and the hair started growing back, but when the weather started getting colder, she started to lose hair again. Then she started losing weight. So I switched her food to Diamond Large Breed Puppy lamb and rice. I've tried adding the Brewers Yeast and Garlic vitamins for Healthy coat and skin. I've started washing her weekly with medicated shampoo and some Hydrocortisone Spray to stop the itching and even Aloe Vera Gel to soften the skin and clear up the dandruff. She has started gaining weight again and the spots look a little better as some hair is starting to grow back slowly, but I think the spots just look hideous. They don't seem to bother her as much anymore, but the hair just won't grow back. Can anybody give me some advice as to how to make the hair grow back please. I just don't want anyone to see her and think she is being abused or is a fighting dog. I've included some pictures to try to give an idea of what the spots look like.

Pic 1- Nina when we first got her around May 2008
    Pic 2- Nina this past fall around October 2008
    Pic 3- Nina this winter, January 2009
    Pic 4 and 5- Nina in this past summer, August 2008
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nina1.jpg 
Views:	1360 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	2877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nina2.jpg 
Views:	1521 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	2878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nina3.jpg 
Views:	1134 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	2879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nina4.jpg 
Views:	1546 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	2880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nina5.jpg 
Views:	1475 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	2881  

Images
    Have you had her checked for Color Dillution Alopecia? It is prevalent in blue dogs of many breeds, particulary Dobies.It is genetic and caused when Melanin clumps along the hair shaft, causing the hair to distort and fracture. Thus falling out and causing bald spots. It usually manifests itself between 6 months to 2 years, sometimes earlier. This condition makes the dogs more prone to bacterial infection. Unfortunately, the breeding of blue APBT's has become such a fad that these genetic deffects are being propagated quite freely, I would have your Vet check for it, hopefully Im wrong and its something else. Good luck.

It is not typical for a blue coated dog to have skin and coat issues. However, there are people who breed for the color alone and do not take in to consideration any genetic health issues. Nu-stock promotes hair growth, so I would try treating her with it.

http://www.nustock.com/

Images
    Awww, that poor baby. :(

You may want to change her diet, perhaps raw or natural dog food. You can always check into Holistic treatment as well.

She really is a pretty girl,. I hope you get the help you need for her.

Images
    I misspoke, CDA is not prevalent per say, but it is something ot be on the look out if you own a Blue dog.

based on how your pup looked like mine when i got him, Its more than likely ATOPIC DERMATITIS Capone had this when we got him. Its a severe allergic reaction to something and the dog has a lowered immune system, mine was from flea bites.

Use an oatmeal shampoo 3 times a week, anti biotics, and hydrocortisone spray or topical...

Thats what our vet recommended

here is some info:
    http://priory.com/vet/vetatop1.htm
    http://www.dogpro.org/index.php?pageID=50

picture of a severe case
    http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/derm_dog4.jpg

7. Was she checked for sarcoptic mange? Just a shot of Ivormectin can treat it and it can cause hair loss. If the man who stole your dog had other dogs or exposed her to other dogs then it's very possible she caught it. It's a stretch but worth a try I suppose

To clear up what I said I didn't mean that typically blue dogs have skin problems. I know not all blue dogs have skin problems or develop skin problems. I just meant that generally speaking that dogs with blue coloring are more prone to skin problems than other colored dogs because of the dilution gene. Its similar to the albinism gene that make white and low pigmented dogs more prone to blindness and deafness. I know this because I have done extensive reading on dogs with blue coloring concentrating on APBTs and blue APBTs. I've read about demodectic and sarcoptic mange, allergies to food and environmental elements, parasites, ringworm, and dermatitis. I know that many of these problems are hereditary, but some can develop over time. I've focused the problem as either relating to the blue coloring or something happening to her because what ever is wrong with her is not affecting my other two APBTs which aren't blue. I've ruled out sarcoptic mange because it would have spread to my other dogs by now. Amd with the skin scrape coming back as being negative I would rule out demodex and many other hereditary skin disease and parasites that would have been picked up by the skin scrape because the parasites would have been visible. I'm going to look more into the atopic dermatitis and alopecia and try to find out what I can do. But right now I'm looking more into allergens around my house because since I have put her on the lamb and rice, vitamins, and washed her with medicated shampoo and hydrocortisone spray she has been getting better. The hair is slowly starting to grow back in. I'm going to look into the nustock and give that a try also.

Images
    If you find out that it is demodex mange, maybe I can help. My puppy is only 2 and has had demodex 3 times and skin rashes galore. She is blue and beautiful, but that sensitive skin comes with the territory. After $100's of in vet bills, I have finally found some things that appear to be working VERY well on her. First and foremost we changed her food to the EAGLE HOLISTIC brand, we feed her the duck and oatmeal formula- it is made for sensitive skin dogs and has one of the highest ratings a dog food can have. I also have been giving her a powder vitamin suppliment on her food calls ShowStopper- she loves the taste and it has improved her coat so much. Most importantly, if she has mange, get NuStock. It is cheap and it works. After only 3 applications, Mika's mites are 100% GONE. We also have been using ivermectin from the vet.

GOOD LUCK.

10. start feeding her WILD RAW SALMON. not farmed salmon.

it should help i cant see the pictures but if its truly just skin problems and not mange or somthing the slmon should help if not diminish the problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by brittdubbz View Post
    I have a female blue APBT and she is experiencing hair loss. I know it is typical of blue coated dogs to be prone to skin and coat disease and have done alot of research on it before considering buying my dog. First, my dog started with a bald patch in between her ears on the middle of her head around 4-5 month old. I had an incident where someone stole my puppy off my porch one morning when I let my girls out for their morning bathroom trip. She never had any signs of hair loss prior to this. The person keep her for about a week and when I threatened to bring the police into the matter the dog was returned. The person who stole my dog was a maintenence worker at the place I was staying. I ended up moving out because I didn't want to stay in a place where the workers stole from the tenants. I know I should have pressed charges, but I was really just more concerned with getting my puppy back. Anyways, when she was returned I didn't notice immediately, but a couple hours after she was returned I saw the spot on her head. I was livid about the treatment of my dog. I took her to the vet because I thought she may have been attacked by another dog, but she was fine. The vet informed me she would be fine. So I took her home and days later more spots became apparent, so I returned to the vet. The vet said she might have demodectic mange and I should get a skin scrape to verify it. So after spending a couple hundred dollars in vet bills, she didn't have demodex afterall vets couldn't figure out what it was and stated maybe it was an allergy to the food she was fed when she was gone and to give it a few weeks to clear up. I did as I was told and gradually put her back on the Nutro Large Breed Puppy food I was feeding her, but the hair loss just continued down to her neck. After I few months she developed some spots on her back and one by her hind leg. I couldn't fingure out for the life of me what was causing this condition. So I tried changing her food once more to Diamond Sport Hi-Protein. I've tried applying Sulfadene to the patch because there was apparent scratching. I've added puppy vitamin supplements to try to enhance her immune system. I saw some improvements in her coat and the hair started growing back, but when the weather started getting colder, she started to lose hair again. Then she started losing weight. So I switched her food to Diamond Large Breed Puppy lamb and rice. I've tried adding the Brewers Yeast and Garlic vitamins for Healthy coat and skin. I've started washing her weekly with medicated shampoo and some Hydrocortisone Spray to stop the itching and even Aloe Vera Gel to soften the skin and clear up the dandruff. She has started gaining weight again and the spots look a little better as some hair is starting to grow back slowly, but I think the spots just look hideous. They don't seem to bother her as much anymore, but the hair just won't grow back. Can anybody give me some advice as to how to make the hair grow back please. I just don't want anyone to see her and think she is being abused or is a fighting dog. I've included some pictures to try to give an idea of what the spots look like.

Pic 1- Nina when we first got her around May 2008
    Pic 2- Nina this past fall around October 2008
    Pic 3- Nina this winter, January 2009
    Pic 4 and 5- Nina in this past summer, August 2008