What to do when dog barks & lunges at people who fear dogs?

I have a question that I hope to get some advice on. Please make comments respectful. :)

I adopted a pitbull mix in mid-December and we've been training every day on sit, down, stay, come, and leave it commands. I'm working on catch. Our next item would be bringing the item back to me... which pitbulls don't do very well.

We've been slowly socializing her with people (who love dogs) in our apartment building and guests that we invite over every weekend. We've had several dinner parties and have more than 10+ people over. My dog has been fantastic. She craves attention, so she's exhausted by the end of the night.

My problem now is that when we walk her on the street, she will lunge and growl at people who are fearful of dogs or give her the "stare". I can tell from their body language. However, her instincts are always 1/2 a second before mine. I always stayed calm, jerked her leash to correct her, firmly said no, and make her sit/stay for about 5 minutes on the street before we start walking again. I'm still working on my timing to correct her. Still learning! :)

Is there anything else I can do? Is this an acceptable normal dog behavior? I tend to think no because I feel like pitbulls are held to a higher standard since they already have a bad reputation. I want her to shine in public... but are my expectations too high?

How would I train her to not bark / growl at people who display fear of dogs or give her the "stare"?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

2. My problem now is that when we walk her on the street, she will lunge and growl at people who are fearful of dogs or give her the "stare". I can tell from their body language. However, her instincts are always 1/2 a second before mine. I always stayed calm, jerked her leash to correct her, firmly said no, and make her sit/stay for about 5 minutes on the street before we start walking again. I'm still working on my timing to correct her. Still learning
    You are correcting the behavior appropriately.:) When she is in a sit/stay, does the growling stop?

Is this an acceptable normal dog behavior?
    No, it's not normal behavior for this breed. Have you considered looking into a behaviorist?

Also, have you practiced NILIF?
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=1571

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    You are correcting the behavior appropriately.:) When she is in a sit/stay, does the growling stop?

No, it's not normal behavior for this breed. Have you considered looking into a behaviorist?

Also, have you practiced NILIF?
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=1571

Yup - my dog stop as soon as I jerk her leash. She immediately gets what I'm doing.

We're planning to have more training sessions with a dog trainer. It's been so cold (I'm in NYC). We're hoping for the weather to get warmer, where there are more people out for the training sessions to be effective.

Yes, we also do practice NILIF. Our dog works for everything that she gets. Thanks for your comments.

Images
    I think your doing everything you can and getting a trainer will really help to make sure you are not giving any mixed signals or that the dog is really getting you.
    Remember you dog can read onother human better than you can and your pup may be picking up a vibe that is not right. I am not saying she should lung or growl at people, but those people are not letting off the right signals to your dog. And staring at your dog can be a sign of challenge.
    One suggestion if a person is staring or glaring at your dog do not make him sit infornt of the person that desn't like him or is still staring. walk a couple of feet ahead and them make the dog stop. Read the other person and how they are acting.
    Good Luck

5. Quote Originally Posted by jocy View Post
    Yup - my dog stop as soon as I jerk her leash. She immediately gets what I'm doing.

We're planning to have more training sessions with a dog trainer. It's been so cold (I'm in NYC). We're hoping for the weather to get warmer, where there are more people out for the training sessions to be effective.

Yes, we also do practice NILIF. Our dog works for everything that she gets. Thanks for your comments.
    I work in NYC. Whereabouts are you?

Quote Originally Posted by pitgirl17 View Post
    I think your doing everything you can and getting a trainer will really help to make sure you are not giving any mixed signals or that the dog is really getting you.
    Remember you dog can read onother human better than you can and your pup may be picking up a vibe that is not right. I am not saying she should lung or growl at people, but those people are not letting off the right signals to your dog. And staring at your dog can be a sign of challenge.
    One suggestion if a person is staring or glaring at your dog do not make him sit infornt of the person that desn't like him or is still staring. walk a couple of feet ahead and them make the dog stop. Read the other person and how they are acting.
    Good Luck
    Thank you for the helpful comments! :) We had a few sessions with Tyril (dubbed as Brooklyn's Dog Whisperer in NYC). He seemed to be very knowledgeable at reading my body language and my dog's body language. Hopefully the weather will warm up a bit, so I can set the scenario for an effective training session (when more ppl are walking in the streets).

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I work in NYC. Whereabouts are you?
    I'm in Jackson Heights, Queens! Love it here... oh the food. YUM.