1. Looking at adopting a lab pitbull mix have small kids and conserns

Hi,
    We are moving onto a hobby farm in NS this summer.
    My adult daughter is moving to Scottland and can not take her dog (Cody) with her.
    We are considering taking him. We have been told Cody is a Lab Pitbull mix. He seems to have a very friendly and protective nature but can still be very aggresive if we are play fighting or just goofing around.
    We have a 7yr old boy whom Cody seems to be very protective of. He will get between my son and whomever he playing with (myself and my husband included)and grabs hands.....without hurting. I think he is just playing and joining in but am afraid of his natural instincts and strong jaw.This could be taken the wrong way or even worse escilate into a bite. My fear is of the dog being aggressive with other kids that my son may be playing with.

I hate to mussel or chain him up and would prefer him to have free range on the farm. I know that some behavoirs given time and training and love can be changed but what I am worried about is his natural insticts.
    Is this a warrented concern or an overproctective Mom?

Images
    I think your concerns are valid. Can you have a dog trainer evaluate him and give you better insights on his actual temperament. What you construe as playing, could very well be dominance and unless you have a handle on what your dealing with, you could find yourself and him in trouble.

Did you daughter get him from a shelter? If so, maybe they have someone there who can check him out for you. Also, pet stores generally know of trainers in there area who can pay a home visit and let you know what exactly what you are up against.

I hope Ive helped some. Good luck!
    Last edited by Alma; 02-18-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Images
    How old is Cody. There are a lot of differnt things that could be going on and I can't diagnose over the forum.
    Pit/lab mixes can be very sweet and great dogs.
    I think you should get a trainer/behaviorist and see is it is just play and he needs to learn to be gentel or if it is a dominance or protection thing.
    You also need to remember consistancy. If you keep the dog the whole family will need to keep up with training and making sure they are not giving the pup mixed signals. Good luck and let us know how things go.

When my children, and they are adults 18 and 21, are sitting and I go to hug them and make a big fuss with the kissing noise my dog jumps up to wedge herself between us. We think its funny and she never puts her mouth on anyone. I would not allow that behavior. My other dog did the exact same thing. My dog is not showing dominance as much as she is trying to get kisses for herself. My other dog however did very obviously get in between my son and his girlfriend any chance she could. But again not ever in a threating way.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Alma View Post
    I think your concerns are valid. Can you have a dog trainer evaluate him and give you better insights on his actual temperament. What you construe as playing, could very well be dominance and unless you have a handle on what your dealing with, you could find yourself and him in trouble.

Did you daughter get him from a shelter? If so, maybe they have someone there who can check him out for you. Also, pet stores generally know of trainers in there area who can pay a home visit and let you know what exactly what you are up against.

I hope Ive helped some. Good luck!
    I agree!

I also agree. You always want to be careful with a younge child. Good luck and hope all works out for you guys!