1. Wilkes County NC Kills Puppies, Adult Dogs

From the Winston-Salem Journal:Wilkes County Animal Control began this morning to euthanize more than 127 pit bulls $#@!ociated with Wildside Kennels, an operation that bred fighting dogs, according to county officials. The county was carrying out a judge's order from Monday.[...]The dogs should all be euthanized by the end of today, county officials said. The exact number of dogs is still unclear

More from YesBiscuit!...

Makes me sick.

it's a damn shame

I agree - Humane FAIL.

Images
    :( thats terrible

makes me sick to i wish we could go up there and brake them out thats the way i feel

6. Letter of John Goodwin of HSUS

Monika,

Those particular fighting dogs in Wilkes County, NC were very, very different than the Vick dogs. Whereas Michael Vick was a pro football player that fought dogs as a hobby, the breeder of these dogs was a globally recognized professional dogfighter. Vick was not a good breeder, and he lost most of his fights. His dogs were a poor representation of true fighting dogs. With the Wilkes County dogs, even the puppies as young as 8 weeks of age where attacking each other and drawing blood. We had to buy new cages to separate litters of young pups.

With the Vick dogs it cost nearly $1 million to “rehab” 49 dogs, and still half of them are in solitary kennel runs, unable to socialize with other dogs. In this case there were 127 dogs, and they are far more aggressive than the Vick dogs.

The “misleading claims” have come from a couple of individuals that never saw these dogs, and choose to throw stones on the internet. I saw these dogs, and in fact handled many of them while they were being evaluated. These dogs would most certainly kill any other dog they could get to.

It is very sad that people are also missing the bigger story, that our work has shut down one of the top breeders of fighting dogs in the United States. Dogfighters are seeing their hero’s go to prison. This is having an effect, and many dogfighters are leaving that world behind as they recognize the cost of doing business is too great. HSUS is the only organization in the United States that has an entire campaign that works full time on animal fighting issues.

I support pit bull rescue, but there has to be a group that goes farther and hits at the root of the problem. That is what we are doing by putting leaders in the dogfighting criminal underworld out of business.

Lastly, Wilkes County euthanizes 3,000 healthy, adoptable animals a year simply because there are not enough good homes opening their doors to these needy animals. I find it disturbing that the groups clamoring for media attention over these 127 dogs raise no fuss, and offer no $#@!istance, for the other 3,000 dogs put down in that county each year.

Sincerely,

John Goodwin
    Manager, Animal Fighting Issues
    The Humane Society of the United States
    2100 L St. NW
    Washington, DC 20037
    301-258-3156
    --------------------------------
    Seems this guy is an extremist in his own way and his arrogance and oblivion to the canine mind are a disgrace to this country. Corrupt and brainwashed advice such as his is totally uncalled for. I am a rescuer, every day, making a difference for one dog at a time. The killings of these innocent dogs, pups, is a travesty and we need to expose this man.

7. An extremist in his own way

Monika,

Those particular fighting dogs in Wilkes County, NC were very, very different than the Vick dogs. Whereas Michael Vick was a pro football player that fought dogs as a hobby, the breeder of these dogs was a globally recognized professional dogfighter. Vick was not a good breeder, and he lost most of his fights. His dogs were a poor representation of true fighting dogs. With the Wilkes County dogs, even the puppies as young as 8 weeks of age where attacking each other and drawing blood. We had to buy new cages to separate litters of young pups.

With the Vick dogs it cost nearly $1 million to “rehab” 49 dogs, and still half of them are in solitary kennel runs, unable to socialize with other dogs. In this case there were 127 dogs, and they are far more aggressive than the Vick dogs.

The “misleading claims” have come from a couple of individuals that never saw these dogs, and choose to throw stones on the internet. I saw these dogs, and in fact handled many of them while they were being evaluated. These dogs would most certainly kill any other dog they could get to.

It is very sad that people are also missing the bigger story, that our work has shut down one of the top breeders of fighting dogs in the United States. Dogfighters are seeing their hero’s go to prison. This is having an effect, and many dogfighters are leaving that world behind as they recognize the cost of doing business is too great. HSUS is the only organization in the United States that has an entire campaign that works full time on animal fighting issues.

I support pit bull rescue, but there has to be a group that goes farther and hits at the root of the problem. That is what we are doing by putting leaders in the dogfighting criminal underworld out of business.

Lastly, Wilkes County euthanizes 3,000 healthy, adoptable animals a year simply because there are not enough good homes opening their doors to these needy animals. I find it disturbing that the groups clamoring for media attention over these 127 dogs raise no fuss, and offer no $#@!istance, for the other 3,000 dogs put down in that county each year.

Sincerely,

John Goodwin
    Manager, Animal Fighting Issues
    The Humane Society of the United States
    2100 L St. NW
    Washington, DC 20037
    301-258-3156

------------------------------
    help me stop BSL. help me repair the damage this self-appointed maniac has done. check out www.denverkillsdogs.com

Thank you.
    Monika

8. http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_w...vered_20090218

Please read the latest dog bust - tell the folks in N.C. to stop bickering about who deserves which credit in doing the bust, and help the dogs - to contact their state legislators to end this insanity !!!

9. http://network.bestfriends.org/stopbsl/news/32259.html

North Carolina residents urged to contact legislators to make sure this does not reoccur
    A coalition of animal welfare groups has formed to protest the court-order to kill all the 127 American pit bull terriers—60 of them puppies—seized from the Wildside Kennels in Wilkesboro, North Carolina.

► Please do not let something like this happen again. Residents of North Carolina are urged to contact your state Senator, Representatives, and Senator Stan Bingham to request a redraft of North Carolina Statute NC 67-1 - 4.1 (a)(1).

Ask that the law be made stronger; however, insist on striking "b" from the definition of “Dangerous Dog” (remove “Any dog owned or harbored primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting, or any dog trained for dog fighting”).

Remember, all dogs are individuals and should be evaluated as such, not lumped together by group or breed.

Senator Stan Bingham
    16 W. Jones Street, Room 2117
    Raleigh, NC 27601-2808
    Phone: 919-733-5665
    E-mail:
    Stan.Bingham@ncleg.net