Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. how often should I bath my puppy

I'm sorry but I could not find a post on how often can I give my puppy (10 weeks) a bath.

Images
    If he is an inside dog just give him a bath whenever he stinks lol....I give mine one about every two weeks, unless they find something good and smelly to roll in. I try to never over do it becasue it strips the oils out of their caot and makes it less shiney.....if you have an outside dog I wouldnt bath them much at all....they need all the oils in their coat as they can get...I only bath my outside dogs befor a show or whenever they just really really need it.

3. Thank you very much......My baby, she is a inside dog. So you think it will be ok to give them a bath every other week at 10 weeks old. My GF ask me to ask because, she is the one who says "my baby is stinky :D"

Images
    lol i would say once every 2 weeks in a mild shampoo or even a baby shampoo

Images
    lol yea i would say your safe doin that lol....Im one to have a stinky dog with a nice cost over a dog that smells like flowers and a dry coat lol...Just use a good shampoo uncented is usually better....well i think so lol

you should never bathe more than once every four weeks unless absolutely necessary. NEVER use a human shampoo, even if it is a "baby" shampoo. These are not formulated for dogs. Use a good oatmeal shampoo and a conditioner when you bathe. I cannot believe people are recommending every two weeks! That is soooooo bad for your dog! BTW, I'm a professional groomer with over 5 years experience, so you can believe them, or me, but just know that.

Images
    the gromer i worked for has over 18years exp. and said that its ok to bathe every 2 to 4 week and that "baby shampoo is total fine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luvapit View Post
    you should never bathe more than once every four weeks unless absolutely necessary. NEVER use a human shampoo, even if it is a "baby" shampoo. These are not formulated for dogs. Use a good oatmeal shampoo and a conditioner when you bathe. I cannot believe people are recommending every two weeks! That is soooooo bad for your dog! BTW, I'm a professional groomer with over 5 years experience, so you can believe them, or me, but just know that.
    You shouldnt undermind what people do with their dogs unless you know its life or death....its ALL IN YOUR OPION....I dont like to bath my dogs anymore then needed but unless you are a DVM you dont have anyright to say we are wrong....I may not be a groomer but I have more experience then 5 years working for one of the top vets in Houston befor moving. I mean is bathing a dog worth being mean? lol

Quote Originally Posted by vicntn View Post
    You shouldnt undermind what people do with their dogs unless you know its life or death....its ALL IN YOUR OPION....I dont like to bath my dogs anymore then needed but unless you are a DVM you dont have anyright to say we are wrong....I may not be a groomer but I have more experience then 5 years working for one of the top vets in Houston befor moving. I mean is bathing a dog worth being mean? lol
    Wow.....wow....how was I being mean? Either you are overly sensitive, or I don't know, I was not being mean. I was stating what I have seen, and learned over time. I have worked with a vet at one time. Don't you go thinking you know everything. wow....I was not being mean..........

Images
    For a pup that young, I'd say no more than once a month.... and I've never worked as a groomer, but from my own experience of drying out Mollie's skin, I learned to only bathe once a month, and sometimes, just once every 6 weeks. I use Tropiclean Oatmeal, it's a very good medicated, but gentle shampoo. Or you can get one formulated for puppies, but I would stick to shampoo that's made for dogs and puppies. If your puppy gets dirty in between that time, just rinse him good in warm water. If you use shampoo's that aren't for dogs, sometimes they are harder to rinse out, and they do tend to dry out their skin more. So at the most, I'd go with every 4 weeks, with a warm water only rinse in between, and only if needed. :)

Human shampoo is at a different pH level than good dog shampoos and human skin and dog skin are at different pH levels so I agree with luvapit's cautioning against any kind of human shampoo.

12. Quote Originally Posted by honeypitty View Post
    the gromer i worked for has over 18years exp. and said that its ok to bathe every 2 to 4 week and that "baby shampoo is total fine.

The groomer you worked for is definently not one I would consider taking or recomending anyone to. Wow 18 years, and they still think its fine to bathe a dog every two weeks, and with baby shampoo? That screams that they have no clue about how to properly bathe a dog. If you do what they are suggesting you strip the dog in question of all their natural oils in their skin which they need.

I hardly ever bathe my dogs. I give them a bath about every six months or so. I do brush them weekly. I always use an oatmeal base shampoo when I do bathe them.

14. Smile

Quote Originally Posted by vicntn View Post

You really should'nt give shotty advise, and learn what you are talking about before you start to give any advise at all. You also do not need to be a dvm to know when, and what to wash your dog with. Luvapit is an experienced, and damn fine groomer, and pet owner...she know's what shes is talking about unlike what I have seen from others on this subject. Working for a vet does not mean you have any clue about proper nutrition or grooming as you are not in that field, so that is a very weak argument that does not hold any water at all. Also to let you know everyone is entitled to their opinion as you put it so I suppose it's perfectly fine to say that you are wrong especially since you definently are, and it's very obvious to anyone that has first hand experience in the matter such as Luvapit does. She is not someone who make's it a practice to just spew garbage on this forum or anywhere else you can bet your house on it that if she takes the time to post it then it is something that is worth listening to. Lastly I do not see one place where she was being mean by any strech of the imagination so I do not see what you are crying about. Thank's and have a great day :)

Images
    ok im sorry i posted wrong. we only use baby shampoo on the head not the rest of the body b/c the other shampoo's if gotten in the eyes can really hurt them.

i apologies to luvapit
    Last edited by honeypitty; 02-16-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by honeypitty View Post
    ok im sorry i posted wrong. we only use baby shampoo on the head not the rest of the body b/c the other shampoo's if gotten in the eyes can really hurt them.

i apologies to luvapit
    Oh, "tearless" shampoos still hurt eyes. They make tearless dog shampoos, too. Did you know that "tearless" baby shampoos are only tearless because most companies add anesthetics to them so that the chemicals won't make the babies/small children cry. I would recommend, getting an eyewash, and dripping that in the dogs' eyes after a bath, even if you are using a "tearless" shampoo ;)

Images
    ok i'll tell them that the next time i talk to her.

Images
    Both of my dogs are inside dogs, and I give them baths every couple of weeks whether they smell or not... once I start sneezing or my eyes start itching thats when I know its bath time.. fortunately both of them love baths, and sometimes I will just rinse them off with warm water to try to eliminate some of the dander (especial in the winter when their skin is already a little dryer)

Images
    I am not a big fan of regular soapy baths for our breeds. Unless you need to for skin issues/allergies, they really don't need 'baths'. Honestly, I either let DIesel play in the creek/river/plastic pool and then do a vigorous rub down with a clean towel, or sometimes I take a clean towel, wet it...then rub him down with it...

I would rather spend the money that would be for shampoo on Omega/Fish Oil capsules...

If you have to bathe for some reason, a good Oatmeal Dog Shampoo works and rinse, rinse and then rinse again.

20. I usually bath mine once every six months, sometimes not even that often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast