Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: ol roy dog food

  1. #1

    ol roy dog food

    anyone know if ol roy dog food is a good food for my dog or not

  2. #2
    That would be like you or me workiing all year in a chicken joint kitchen and scraping the goop of the bottom of your shoes but not before stepping in rat $#@!, cat $#@!, and aids infected blood then feeding it to your already sick puppy(hopefully he is better)....so....no it's not good at all. Probably one of the worst foods out there. If you absolutley have to go cheap, pro plan isn't all that bad I guess if you had too.
    Last edited by milew66623; 02-11-2009 at 07:45 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL (Home of the Gators)
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAWDABOI View Post
    anyone know if ol roy dog food is a good food for my dog or not

    ol roy is made from ol roy (other dogs). It's about the worst there is. Try this website to compare dog foods:

    www.dogfoodanalysis.com

  4. #4
    The first three ingredients in this dog food are grains, followed by sugar, then fat. The SIXTH ingredient is meat and bone meal. Ingredients are listed by their concentration from highest to lowest. Dogs are carnivores, and need a food that contains actual meat as its primary ingredient.

    This is not a high-quality dog food.

    ~Ingredients~

    Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground whole wheat, corn syrup, poultry fat, Meat and bone meal (Animal Fat Preserved with BHA and Citric Acid), Chicken by-product Meal, Rice, Animal Digest, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin D and E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulafate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Meadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex Source of Vitamin K, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid

    EDIT: upon preview I just should have said it as others have: worst food out there. its like soylent green... for dogs.

  5. #5
    It's crap.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Juneau, Ak
    Posts
    198
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by milew66623 View Post
    That would be like you or me workiing all year in a chicken joint kitchen and scraping the goop of the bottom of your shoes but not before stepping in rat $#@!, cat $#@!, and aids infected blood then feeding it to your already sick puppy.

    they should have this as a warning on the package!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    17,623
    Images
    18
    Old Roy is the worst kibble there is. Wal Mart's best kibble is called Maxximum Nutrition. It's in a gray and black bag. Read the ingredients, if it has corn listed at all, it's best to skip it. Maxximum Nutrition doesn't have corn, and is comparable to what Wal Mart sells, price wise. It runs about $20 a bag.

    There have been tons of threads on the quality kibbles, here's one of the best one we have, and it lists the top rated kibbles. Hope this helps. :)

    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=15101

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    pssst......Right behind you
    Posts
    4,442
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollie's Nana View Post
    Old Roy is the worst kibble there is. Wal Mart's best kibble is called Maxximum Nutrition. It's in a gray and black bag. Read the ingredients, if it has corn listed at all, it's best to skip it. Maxximum Nutrition doesn't have corn, and is comparable to what Wal Mart sells, price wise. It runs about $20 a bag.

    There have been tons of threads on the quality kibbles, here's one of the best one we have, and it lists the top rated kibbles. Hope this helps. :)

    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=15101
    I disagree about the corn issue. It is the most digestible grain compared to potatoes, or even rice. And also the whole grain free issue. And it is not the ingredients by itself it is the quality of the ingredients that matters. Just because both labels say chicken does not mean that it is the same quality of chicken.

    Dogs are not carnivores they are infact omnivores. But everyone and their mother has an opinion on feed. And no matter what food you choose there will always be someone telling you that what you are feeding is crap.

    Now Ol Roy is not a good food IMO. But it is the most sold food in the U.S.

    I honestly feel that if your dog is doing well on a certain food then stick with it. Changing foods on a regular basis will cause diarrhea, and picky eaters.

    Our dogs eat Nutrena River Run 27/19 $20 for a 50pd bag. They are great, look great, coats are shiny. Now we have 13 dogs so we go through about 1 bag a week.

    Here is a link to a threadI made from the Vet Conference I went to in Jan regarding food. Also at the bottom of the lecture notes there are links to sites that can $#@!ist you in learning about feed. I have seen that you posted a few threads regarding questions about feed. Research it and find what works best for you and your dog. Good luck.

    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=22761
    Last edited by Cynthia; 02-11-2009 at 08:13 PM.

  9. #9
    ok thanks for the info and im not feeding that food to my puppy my puppy died from parvo but i have an older blue pit bull named petey

  10. #10

    Thumbs down

    Hopefully "petey" is vaccinated to the fullest. Cause it doesn't seem as if you did much IMO to keep the other puppy that died in the best of health. Seemed like all you cared about was that he had a big head, and didn't care about the hurniea....pretty sad you just are like...oh well my pup died cause I don't do anything to care for him....so how about ol roy! You appear (to me) as a mongoloaid of epic proportions, and should not have any dog.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    pssst......Right behind you
    Posts
    4,442
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by milew66623 View Post
    Hopefully "petey" is vaccinated to the fullest. Cause it doesn't seem as if you did much IMO to keep the other puppy that died in the best of health. Seemed like all you cared about was that he had a big head, and didn't care about the hernia....pretty sad you just are like...oh well my pup died cause I don't do anything to care for him....so how about ol roy! You appear (to me) as a mongoloid of epic proportions, and should not have any dog.
    Wow a little judgemental to say the least. And you are qualified to reign judgement and tell the poster that he should not have a dog. Good to know when I get another dog I should ask your permission. The main thing is learning from mistakes. And I may be wrong but the op is here and trying to learn and asking questions. No one started off knowing EVERYTHING. And I bet that you have made mistakes along the way too. Just my observation.
    Last edited by Cynthia; 02-11-2009 at 08:39 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaATL View Post
    Wow a little judgemental to say the least. And you are qualified to reign judgement and tell the poster that he should not have a dog. Good to know when I get another dog I should ask your permission. The main thing is learning from mistakes. And I may be wrong but the op is here and trying to learn and asking questions. No one started off knowing EVERYTHING. And I bet that you have made mistakes along the way too. Just my observation.
    Wow, this guy(or kid) had the puppy, knew it was sick, knew it had a hurneia, was told to get it checked....said he woudl be fine. Has shown no sorrow for the loss of his new puppy. Now just wants another one?! Come on ATL. I have hear a lot of good stuff from you on here, but I don't think this guy(kid?) is ready for another puppy considering he apparently has a full grown dog which he doesn't seem to knwo what to ddo with? Trust me, I have been talked to like I was a $#@!hole quite a few times on here and learned from it...i'm still here. I don't want him to leave, i'm just questioning his motives.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaATL View Post
    Dogs are not carnivores they are infact omnivores. But everyone and their mother has an opinion on feed.
    Indeed!

    Dogs are carnivores, not omnivores. Dogs ARE very adaptable, but just because they can survive on an omnivorous diet does not mean it is the best diet for them. The $#@!umption that dogs are natural omnivores remains to be proven, whereas the truth about dogs being natural carnivores is very well-supported by the evidence available to us.
    http://www.rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html

  14. #14
    Yes i did get the dog checked if you read my post so mucha dn pay attention you wouldave seen what the vet said ignorant people like you is one of the main reasons i dont like these forums and i know exactly what to do with my dog i just want to get some weight off of him to gain muscle i didnt put as much time into my dogs a long time ago as i do now now i have more time on my hands and i can learn more and i can learn from what i do wrong

  15. #15
    Ok, your right, i'm wrong. You are a very fine, articulate man who knows exactly what to do for his dogs. My mistake.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    pssst......Right behind you
    Posts
    4,442
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by odd.eyed.jack View Post
    Well there are also just as many studies that support that raw is not the best out there as well. And that they are natural omnivores. I sat in on a session at the NAVC regarding this topic. There are many facts also discrediting the "RAW" myth. We can go back and forth with "studies". I know that many have fed it and their dog is fine. However I tend to stick with aafco standards. I am not getting in this debate it has been hashed and rehashed. It is my opinion and I am sorry it is not changing. Just as your will probably not either. That is why I told the OP to research and for HIM to decide what is best for his animal.



    TOP TEN MYTHS ABOUT RAW MEAT DIETS
    Lisa M. Freeman, DVM, PhD, DACVN
    $#@!mings School of Veterinary Medicine
    Tufts University, North Grafton, MA

    "THEIR BENEFITS ARE PROVEN"
    No scientific studies have shown benefits of raw food diets. Their appeal is based on word of mouth, testimonials, and perceived benefits. For example, raw food diets may result in a shiny coat and small stools because they are generally high in fat and digestibility. However, these same properties can be achieved with commercial cooked diets without the risks of raw meat diets.

    "THIS IS WHAT ANIMALS EAT IN THE WILD"
    Wolves in the wild do eat raw meat (in addition to berries, plants, etc). However, the average lifespan for a wolf in the wild is only a few years. Therefore, what is nutritionally "optimal" for a wolf is not optimal for our pets who we hope will live long and healthy lives.

    "DOGS AND CATS HAVE SHORT GASTROINTESTINAL TRACTS SO WON'T GET INFECTIONS FROM SALMONELLA IN RAW MEAT DIETS"
    Dogs' and cats' gastrointestinal tracts are not shorter compared with people when viewed in proportion to their smaller body size. Dogs and cats can become infected with Salmonella and other bacteria found in raw meat diets, just as people can (especially young, old, or immunosuppressed individuals).

    "RAW FOOD DIET INGREDIENTS ARE HUMAN GRADE"
    Even meats purchased at the best of stores for people can be infected with bacteria so purchasing "human grade" meat does not protect against the health risks of uncooked meats (would you eat raw hamburger?). Also, be aware that the term "human grade" has no legal definition for pet food.

    "FREEZING RAW DIETS KILLS BACTERIA"
    Most of the bacteria found in raw meat diets can easily survive freezing.

    "AS LONG AS BONES ARE RAW, THEY'RE SAFE"
    Bones, whether raw or cooked, can fracture dogs' and cats' teeth. Bone also can block or tear the esophagus, stomach, or intestine.

    "COOKING DESTROYS ENZYMES NEEDED FOR DIGESTION"
    All the enzymes that dogs and cats (and people) need for digestion are already in the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, additional enzymes from food are not required for digestion. In fact, enzymes are proteins so any enzymes that are eaten get broken down by the body and have no benefit in the digestion process.

    "GRAINS ARE ADDED TO PET FOODS AS FILLERS"
    Corn, oats, rice, barley, and other grains are healthy ingredients that contain protein, vitamins, and minerals; they are not added as fillers. There is no benefit of potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, or oatmeal compared with other carbohydrate sources, unless the animal has certain specific health problems.

    "MOST COMMERCIAL PET FOODS CONTAIN HARMFUL INGREDIENTS" Byproducts. Byproducts are the animal parts that Americans don't typically eat, such as livers, kidneys, or lungs. There are specific definitions for what byproducts can and cannot include. For example, byproducts must be the clean parts of slaughtered animals and cannot include feathers, hair, horns, teeth, and hooves. Basically, byproducts are anything other than animal muscle. Note that some pet foods may actually list these ingredients (eg, duck liver, beef lung) but these are really just "byproducts."

    "IF BONES OR CHICKEN NECKS ARE ADDED TO RAW MEAT DIETS, THEY'RE NUTRITIONALLY BALANCED"
    Most homemade (and even some commercial) raw meat diets are extremely deficient in calcium and a variety of other nutrients, even if chicken necks, bones, or egg shells are added. This can be disastrous in any animal but especially in young, growing pets.
    Last edited by Cynthia; 02-11-2009 at 10:20 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    pssst......Right behind you
    Posts
    4,442
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by milew66623 View Post
    Wow, this guy(or kid) had the puppy, knew it was sick, knew it had a hurneia, was told to get it checked....said he woudl be fine. Has shown no sorrow for the loss of his new puppy. Now just wants another one?! Come on ATL. I have hear a lot of good stuff from you on here, but I don't think this guy(kid?) is ready for another puppy considering he apparently has a full grown dog which he doesn't seem to knwo what to ddo with? Trust me, I have been talked to like I was a $#@!hole quite a few times on here and learned from it...i'm still here. I don't want him to leave, i'm just questioning his motives.
    I understand you position but the way you cam across is not one that will encourage him to stick around and learn. Sorry.

    And also a side note it depends on what the hernia looks like. Yes it is best to get it repaired. We usually do it when the dog is either spayed or neutered. And that is usually around 4-6 months old.

    Just 2 weeks ago we had one on a 7 month old Black Mouth Cur that I swear looked like a small puppy was hanging from him. While it is not the best thing to wait but it usually is not life threatening.

  18. #18
    "THIS IS WHAT ANIMALS EAT IN THE WILD"
    Wolves in the wild do eat raw meat (in addition to berries, plants, etc). However, the average lifespan for a wolf in the wild is only a few years. Therefore, what is nutritionally "optimal" for a wolf is not optimal for our pets who we hope will live long and healthy lives.
    I'm actually doing a lot of research right now (reading & learning & discussing the issue with others much more educated on the issue) on the fact that dogs and wolves are NOT the same and that there is a much greater difference between the 2 that first thought believed.

    And add to the fact that feral dogs are scavengers more than they are "go kill some game and eat it" type of animals.

    Hopefully I can get a good thread up on this in a few weeks.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    pssst......Right behind you
    Posts
    4,442
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
    I'm actually doing a lot of research right now (reading & learning & discussing the issue with others much more educated on the issue) on the fact that dogs and wolves are NOT the same and that there is a much greater difference between the 2 that first thought believed.

    And add to the fact that feral dogs are scavengers more than they are "go kill some game and eat it" type of animals.

    Hopefully I can get a good thread up on this in a few weeks.
    I am looking forward to it.

    I took advantage while at the NAVC to sit on on a few sessions about Raw because of the big Hoo Ha on forums. After what I learned I just do not think that it is the best for domesticated canines. Some people swear by it. But again I tend to stay with aafco.

    Also the Hoo ha about fillers. Which is not always the case either. All this is coming from credited people who have researched and have the science behind it. Who have done controlled studies with animals and documented their findings.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM
  2. When do you switch from puppy food to adult dog food?
    By Topps in forum Pit Bull Puppy Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 01:26 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 03:03 PM
  4. when to switch from puppy food to adult food?
    By cheezy3232 in forum American Bully
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
  5. Daily Humane Bites #60: Food Nannies Agree: HSUS
    By HumaneWatch in forum Dog Blogs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

is ol roy good for pitbulls

is ol roy dog food good for pitbulls

is olroy dog food good for pitbulls

is ole roy good for pitbulls

ol roy dog food for pitbullsol roy for pitbullsole roy dog food pitbullsol roy dog food pitbullOl roy dog food pitbullsOlRoy Food hair in the bood!is olroy good for pitbullsis ol roy good for a pitbullol roy dog food for pit bullwho makes ol roy maximum nutrition dog foodol roy dog food for my 7 month old pitbull is olroy dog food good for your pitbullis ol roy good dog food for pitbullsol roy for pitbullol roy dog food for pitbullolroy dog foodis ol roy dog food good for my pitbullol roy for pit bullwhat should i give my dog food when i switch to old roy pitbullscan pit bulls have ol roy dog foodwhat good for pitbull oroy dog foodblue pitbull with ol royis olroy a good dog food for pitbullsis ol roy dog food good for my dogpit bull ol royol roy dog food for pitsolroy dog food diarrheais ol roy good for my blue pitis ol roy good for my pitbullis ol roy a good dog food for pitt bolroyforpitbullterrier

Bookmarks