1. need help, bloody pee.

Hi there,
    I try to run my dog about 30 minutes a day, mainly by chasing the ball.
    Around Christmas during a cold snowy day, he started peeing blood after a strenuous run, the first pee was really red , the second and third were more brown ( coca cola on snow). The 4th pee was back to yellow.

The dog seemed fine, no soreness, no sign of sickness, everything normal

Later that week I was able to take him to the vet, they did tests and couldn't find anything wrong (liver, heart...). The vet explanation was a inside cut in his wiener.

A few weeks later, another cold day, same thing happened : after running for a while, his pee was brownish, this time I was able to get a sample and have it tested by my vet. Again no obvious sign of sickness. One of the two explanations was a: it is muscle breakdown after strenuous exercise (like marathon runners can experience)
    b: some hereditary genetic issues..

Yesterday, we went to the mountain and chase the ball in the snow for a while and again, had brown color pee.

The two first times it happened, it was cold, and he started running without breakfast or that much water prior.
    Yesterday I made sure he ate and drink before exercising, he also was wearing his fleece.

Each time, he never shown any signs of exhaustion or soreness. He doesn't cry when he pees or lick his rocket all the time, and doesn't seem to be bother by anything.Everything looks normal.

I don't know what's going on, he is only 2.5 years old and never had any issues before that.

Anybody had any similar experiences or and idea on what's happening?
    Thank You for reading.

You should have a urine analysis done and xrays to check for stones.

I hope he is alright and it turns out to be nothing serious. As stated above urine samples and x-rays are needed to be sure of what is going on.

Images
    it only happens when he plays in the snow? not when it is dry and he plays?

5. Thanks for replying!!!

He had both stone and urine checked, everything is fine according to the vet.
    It happened both in the snow and during a dry day. The common denominator is cold weather and running full speed for 30 minutes. He never had Anny issues last winter.

Images
    I would probably have a second opinion if it were my dog. Blood in urine isn't common.

Images
    would get a 2nd opinion what you are explaining (i am not a vet) sounds like a metabolic problem that can be serous where the dogs body can not turn sugar's into energy so it turns to its self/muscle and fat i have seen it in humans I'm a nurse cant find much on it for apbt but hear is a link with a different breed and the cases i have seen don't always start with any pain,weakness etc. allot of times the urine is the first thing you notice. ask your vet for a stress test where they or you exserise your dog allot then do blood and urin work up
    http://www.essfta.org/Health_Research/pfk.htm

hope this helps

Images
    Blood in urine could mean problems with the kidneys, maybe liver

Images
    If there is nothing in the urine test, do a blood test.. look for poison

10. Blood in pee after exercise

I have a 4 year old with the same problem. I live in Florida tho. Every time we run a mile or so or swim for more than 10 mins he would pee blood ( no pain and the blood goes away after 3 or 4 pees). I've taken him to 2 vets and both have done extensive testing. Both took a while to come back with the same answer, that it's probably a muscle breakdown issue.. That just doesn't sit well with me because the older he gets the worse it gets. I was told not to worry about it, but I want to know how bad this is going to get?
    Last edited by Phikev; 09-02-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Needed a title

Images
    Have they checked his kidneys?

12. They checked for stones and uti, none of which he had.

Images
    Did they check for a kidney infection? Or bladder infection?

Images
    Sounds like some vets are not being very thorough..just a guess.

Images
    Ask to get your dog checked for diabetes. thats what happend to my old dog, she started having blood in her urine. she seemed perfecly normal appart from that, not fat, very active.... then again your dog only gets it when its cold so im not sure

16. Have the vet check his prostate gland. He is very young for it to be that, but the blood in the urine could be that....