PA Appeals Court Says Owners Can Shoot Dogs, Cats

Pa. appeals court says owners can shoot dogs, cats
    Saturday, January 31, 2009

The $#@!ociated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- A Pennsylvania law regulating animal cruelty is so confusing and ambiguous that owners cannot be prosecuted for shooting and killing their dogs or cats, a state appeals court ruled yesterday.
    The Superior Court overturned the conviction of a northeastern Pennsylvania woman on conspiracy to commit cruelty to animals in the 2006 shooting outside Weissport of her 6-year-old pit bull-chow mix, named Bouta.

"If the Legislature wishes to make it criminal to shoot one's own dog or cat, it must do so in a clear, unambiguous manner to give reasonable notice that the act is criminal," wrote Judge Richard B. Klein for the majority. "It did not do so in this case."

It was the second time in less than a year that the appeals court ruled in favor of Wendy Colleen Kneller of Carbon County. A decision last February was issued by only three judges, but the court agreed to hear it argued again and on Friday issued an 8-1 ruling.

The dissenting judge, Correale F. Stevens, wrote there is nothing in the Pennsylvania Dog Law "to suggest that the legislative intent was to give carte blanche authority of a dog owner to kill her dog for any reason or no reason."

"A sweeping policy conclusion that a dog owner can shoot a healthy, happy dog for no reason ... would replace the call of 'Lassie, come home' with 'Lassie, run for your life,'" Stevens wrote.

The court said Kneller told a state trooper that the dog had bitten her child. Prosecutors said Kneller gave her boyfriend a .40-caliber handgun and told him to shoot the dog; the man was convicted of other crimes and has sought another trial.

Her lawyer, Paul Levy, said that some people do not have the money to have their pets euthanized at an animal clinic.

"The idea behind it is that an owner of a pet is going to have a vested interest in that pet, and the normal $#@!umption's going to be that they're going to make sure their pet is disposed of in a humane manner," Levy said.

The phone at the office of Carbon County District Attorney Gary F. Dobias rang unanswered yesterday afternoon.

First published on January 31, 2009 at 8:49 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09031...pid=latest.xml

Shooting, done properly, is a humane method of euthanasia.

Genevieve

I think one should be allowed to shoot their dog. Why spend the money on going to the Vet? Like Gene said, as long as it is done right, it is a quick and humane way to "put a dog to sleep."

This Judge needs to be voted out of office
    dissenting judge, Correale F. Stevens,
    Judge Richard B. Klein
    This judge has a unbiased partisan.

we need to identifie these folks and create collective pool of information and remove these folks from thier elected offices.

I could not do it, but I in no way think that it should be illegal as a form of euthanasia.

6. What if you don't kill the dog with the first shot? What if it takes more than one shot? Wouldn't the dog be suffering? If it's done the correct way, ok, but if not?

I'm on the fence.

Her lawyer, Paul Levy, said that some people do not have the money to have their pets euthanized at an animal clinic.
    Isn't this part of the responsibility when you own a dog? Making sure you DO have enough money for when the time comes to euthanize?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandJean View Post
    I think one should be allowed to shoot their dog. Why spend the money on going to the Vet? Like Gene said, as long as it is done right, it is a quick and humane way to "put a dog to sleep."
    And 100% faster than the "humane" way. Euth is $#@!, and there is no way anyone will ever convince me that the dog doesn't spend the last few minutes knowing it is going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    What if you don't kill the dog with the first shot? What if it takes more than one shot? Wouldn't the dog be suffering? If it's done the correct way, ok, but if not?

I'm on the fence.

Isn't this part of the responsibility when you own a dog? Making sure you DO have enough money for when the time comes to euthanize?
    What if's....

Odds are not quite the same as "humane euthinazia" here's why.... cardiac sticks not performed correctly, Veins blow, Iv caths fail, human error.

This technique isn't any more humane than pluging an animal in the head...infact it is much quicker to plug em. The other is part of a service that it is provided for those that can not stomach the task them selves, the other is, it's medical use to aid in the elemination of suffering when medical treatment is no longer humain opption. Let's not forget shelters who use this to aid in population control.... it has it's use.

Let's face it, the vast majority have been spoon fed this feel good crap. An no I dont expect that you could do that for jc, I think you would have to take him in. But I dont judge anyone for it, Im happy to aid in this.

I think they were trying to get at wether or not it was ok to kill your pet healthy or not....It read to me that they want to limmit one's ability to make that judgement call on thier own, not so much the method.

Quote Originally Posted by gonloco View Post
    And 100% faster than the "humane" way. Euth is $#@!, and there is no way anyone will ever convince me that the dog doesn't spend the last few minutes knowing it is going to die.
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Depends on the method and the policy. I preffer this to be done after the animal has been sedated with an anestetic drug...like propofol.

10. I think they were trying to get at wether or not it was ok to kill your pet healthy or not....It read to me that they want to limmit one's ability to make that judgement call on thier own, not so much the method.
    I'm going to say a big NO. People can't even make rational judgement calls on the easy stuff in life. And there are too many wacko's out there that, IMO, if their dog pees the wrong way, it will get shot in the head.

I get what you are saying Simms. I just am real uncomfortable with something like this, and not because I don't think it's humane. If done correctly, it is humane. I just feel that if you give a human the ok to do something like this, alot of healthy pets will be shot. As it is, pets are being dumped for so many reasons...new baby on the way, pet is too old, no longer a playful puppy, etc....now, people will just shoot the dog.
    Last edited by Michele; 02-02-2009 at 08:38 AM.

I think its fine to euth a dog with a bullet in the head... healthy or not. It sure as $#@! beats dropping them off at a shelter. See thats one of the biggest problems in my opinion. The shelter scenario has made it too easy to be a sorry $#@! owner. You don't want the dog, can't handle the dog, can't afford the dog.... that more than likely you shouldn't have gotten in the first place? Well just drop him at a shelter.. someone else will feed it, give it meds, and clean up after it. At least with a bullet you are taking it into your own hands. Besides that are you aware of what it costs to have a vet euth your dog? $220.00 if you want to be back there while they do it.. and $200.00 if you want to just let the vet do it alone. Two hundred $#@!ing dollars to give a dog a shot! Its a racket... I went through it with Cheyenne and I'll never do it again... from now on the dog will spend its last moments with the person that loves it... I'll dig a hole and walk the dog out there say my good byes.. probably cry like a baby and then shoot my dog. That is the way it was done for YEARS and YEARS before shelters.. thats the way I'll do it from now on.

12. my vet will come out to my house or meet me at the field ...i dont completely disagree shooting a dog,in many cases it is kinder than letting your dog suffer,it just isnt something i could do(too much of a pansy)

13. I think its fine to euth a dog with a bullet in the head... healthy or not.
    I disagree. Shooting a healthy dog in the head, IMO, is disgusting. It's unacceptable.

14. I had Nibs euth. and creamated so i could have her back.i dont think that $200 was unreasonable,it seemed worth it.I dont think she knew where we were going but i do think that she was ready to go ,she didnt struggle at all and then she just went to sleep.if she did know,then she accepted it.

But dropping a healthy dog at a shelter to live what is left of his life in a cell waiting to die is ok? Especially an older dog... which have a harder time being adopted.

I disagree. Shooting a healthy dog in the head, IMO, is disgusting. It's unacceptable.

16. Quote Originally Posted by NcPrisonGuard View Post
    But dropping a healthy dog at a shelter to live what is left of his life in a cell waiting to die is ok? Especially an older dog... which have a harder time being adopted.

I get that part.

Why would you want to drop a healthy dog at a shelter to begin with? Because it's 'older' and you get tired of it?

17. I don't think saying it's your legal right to shoot your dog will make everyone go out and shoot their dogs. It's been legal for years, and it hasn't been a big "Hey, I'll just shoot my dog." For one, most people don't have the stomach for it, and would rather p$#@! the responsibility on to someone else, i.e. a shelter worker.

Many reasons... just because they don't want it anymore... they are moving and don't accept pets at the new place, new baby, money reasons... etc etc... remember alot of people still firmly believe "its just a dog"

I get that part.

Why would you want to drop a healthy dog at a shelter to begin with? Because it's 'older' and you get tired of it?