Images

When can puppies go outside?

At how many weeks can a puppy go outside? I see pups here on the forum that are about 7-8 weeks old and their outside...can that be done? I thought they would need all their shots and the last one at about 4-5 months to be able to walk on the gr$#@!...that's what I was told by the vet.

2. I waited until JC had his first set of shots. :)

Images
    I waited untill mine had their first set of shoots to only let them out side in our yard and to walk around the block. After their second set of shots I started to take them more places and then after their 3 set I began training cl$#@!. However I was working on obediance with them at home untill we could finally go to cl$#@!.
    IMO

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I waited until JC had his first set of shots. :)
    I thought J.C had "virgin" feet.......

Images
    When I lived in a city, I was told by my vet that I should wait before I took my puppy to any public place til his third round of shots. I live in the country now and the only place he goes is around our woods and house, the vet here didn't seem to think it was a problem and the fact that it's freakin freezing, he doesn't seem to want to be out much, wonder why?

Images
    so the first set of shots would be up to the 16th week? cause for me it doesn't matter cause I live in the city so the pup wouldn't come out regardless, until they got all their shots.

Images
    I started taking Mollie out to potty as soon as she came home. Every 30 minutes we went out to potty, but she didn't stay out, just long enough to do her business. But I also took her to the vet and started her puppy shots right off too. They have to go potty, but I wouldn't start taking them out in public, like the petstore, or letting them just hang outside until you get those shots started. :)

Images
    Dutch had all his shots done by 14 weeks. but that sounds right, between that and 16 weeks

Personally, if your talking about walking your pup around the neighborhood. I would wait 6-8 months. Due to the pup having a low immune system , i wouldnt take a risk..

But if your talking about just having your dog outside in your backyard.. I dont see a problem with that. In fact, here are some pics of my dog at the breeders house . these pictures when my dog and its littermates were less then 7 weeks

my dogs the one by himself next the box lol

Last edited by Jelet; 01-29-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Pups can get shots starting at 4 weeks and then every two weeks from there. If you start early like that you would be doing shots at 4/6/8 weeks.

Most ppl start at 8 and then its 8/10/12

IMO puppies should not touch the ground (outside of your own backyard) until they have had at the very LEAST their second shot.

puppy cuteness overload!!! wow how cute they are...
    About taking him outside....it's not dependent his age so much as his vaccination schedule. It's best to wait until 2 weeks after he's had his 3 main sets of vaccinations and his first rabies vaccination. This should all be done by 13-16 weeks old, depending how young he was when he had his first set. You can take him out 2 weeks after his second set.

Wait to bring him around the neighborhood until he is 6-8 months old?
    Say what? lol

Images
    I totally agree, I think waiting til their shots, I do them starting at 4/8/10/12/14/16 then rabies and I get the OK from the vet then I walk them out for potty, I was just asking cause I see alot of ppl on the forum w/ tiny pups and out on the gr$#@!, cause personally me, I wouldn't, I'm too neurotic for that.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this topic! :)