Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. questions on training a 2 month old

first off, i dont know what i should expect from my 2 month old pitbull pup.

i take him out frequently, yet he still pisses on my carpet a couple times a day. ill take him out to the same spot and everything, hes just not picking up on the whole not pissing inside thing. might just take a little longer.

now, of course, he loves to bite. he has toys that he likes chewing, but he really enjoys chewing things he shouldnt be chewing. and he loves biting me. i usually just stop him and give him a toy. it will distract him for a second then hell be right back on me. if i hit his nose and tell him to stop it only gets him more pissed off. im starting to just put him in his kennel when he starts acting crazy because nothing else will calm him down or stop him from biting me.

any tips?

i have a shock collar my dad gave me that we still have from one of our dogs. im tempted to use it but im not sure if 2 months is old enough for that. it has 4 levels of intensity and 2 noises. 1 good 1 bad, you know the deal.

thank you in advance!

Images
    First of, please leave that shock collar tucked away in the closet.

APBTs learn best with positive reinforcement, not the negative, pain induced correction of a shock collar.

At eight weeks, you have a puppy that is still learning.

My recommendation would be to restrict his access to 'roaming' the house without supervision.

Tether him to you, continue with the frequent potty breaks.

When he pees/poops outside, you are going to get very excited, and praise like crazy.

Return inside, keep him tethered or crate, unless you are totally focused on supervising.

The biting (using you as a chew toy) is annoying with pups; I remember it well from Madeleine's puppy days.

Please don't hit the pup, you don't want to end up with a hand-shy pup.

Redirect to an appropriate toy (like you have been) and praise.

I found it helpful with Madeleine to walk away when she was in totally hyper-I-gotta-nibble-on-you-mode - she hated being ignored and learned with time and patience that she would get lots of positive attention, if she did not use me as a chew toy.

Above all, time and patience are your allies :)

Images
    Madeleinemom gave you great advice so please use.
    Take a deep breath and stay clam and relaxed. You have an infint in the house who knows nothing, and everydog learns differently and catches on at differnt times. Do not expect your dog to get things on your time schedule, be patient. We had an anckle bitter and 2 things we did that help was:
    1. I put a jingley braclet on my anckle and shook my foot everytime the pup tried to bit. She did not like the noise
    2. Everytime she would try to bit me I would have tobasco on my hand and we she bit I put it in her mouth she hated this and stoped her bitting in 2 days.

Stay consistant and remember that if one method doesn't work try another method but always give each method a feww days to sink in and see if your pup catches on.
    Good Luck

training your 2 month old...a lil pointer

first off the shock collar doesnt work it will only make them aggressive. put in on low and shock your wrist. thats what your doing to your poor little 2 month old baby.

as for the peeing...i had my pit trained in 1 day. dont yell at them for peeing in the house. dont even acknowledge it. hes a puppy. he has a small bladder they have to go alot more. when he/she pees outside congratulate him with a treat. and say good job good boy/girl. your pup will have it down in no time be patient. a frustrated owner is a frustrated little pup. dont say no, say wrong. or aaight. it works trust. i have had 2 pits and they were fully trained in less than 3 days. sit, stay, leave it, no peeing, shake, and high five. the key is patients, congratulate when doing something good, and trainging treats. youll be surprised at how fast they catch on.

sorry ive gone on and on. but try it.

Images
    HI, i agree with the post above all good advice and agien please no shock collar as said before this is an infant when you say frequent potty breaks what do you mean? i have a pup now close to 5 months so i was where you where not long ago i had to take my pup out some times every 15- 20 min if she was excited, just ate,just sleep,drank water,played as you get the point after every activate she only peed in the house 2 times and both times i would say i was not paying attention to her i. this may be a Little frequent as my pup was 6 weeks when i got her and as for the biting don't ever play bite with her with your hand always have good tasting things for your pup to chew on and offer them every time your pup tries to nibble

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMantis View Post

i take him out frequently, yet he still pisses on my carpet a couple times a day. ill take him out to the same spot and everything, hes just not picking up on the whole not pissing inside thing. might just take a little longer.

now, of course, he loves to bite. he has toys that he likes chewing, but he really enjoys chewing things he shouldnt be chewing. and he loves biting me. i usually just stop him and give him a toy. it will distract him for a second then hell be right back on me. if i hit his nose and tell him to stop it only gets him more pissed off. im starting to just put him in his kennel when he starts acting crazy because nothing else will calm him down or stop him from biting me.

any tips?

i have a shock collar my dad gave me that we still have from one of our dogs. im tempted to use it but im not sure if 2 months is old enough for that. it has 4 levels of intensity and 2 noises. 1 good 1 bad, you know the deal.

thank you in advance!
    Dear NorthernMantis,

How lucky you are to have come to this forum for advise!

'Good' dogs don't pop out of the womb that way, management, controlling the environment, and teaching create 'good' dogs. Actually, all dogs are good because they are just doing what dogs do----- we are asking them to live in our homes and abide by our 'rules'.

Instead of thinking in terms of getting him NOT to do something, you need to start thinking about how you can *teach* him to do the things you want him to do. You are his teacher, and what he becomes is totally dependent upon how and what you teach him.

Remote training collars are a tool, and can be a good one in the right hands, a disaster in others--- but they should never be used on a young puppy.

You would be suprised to know that dogs and other animals are very capable of learning, voluntarily participating, and communicating with us. My preferred method of teaching is SATS Bridge and Target; you can Google it for more info or shoot me a pm.

Julie K

7. Also, be be on the safe side, you might want to check his urine for a UTI (urinary track infection).

Great advice given

8. a general rule of thumb is 2 months needs to go potty ever 1 to 2 hours. Hes got a teeny tiny bladder and cant hold it for very long so you need to be taking him out more often. crate training also helps.

and dont use a shock collar on a puppy!! are you nuts!?

9. There is a * PLETHORA* of information on this forum if you even tried to look before posting this. There is no quick solution to your problem if thats what you came here for. Throw the shock collar away and set aside 20 min to read through the training *STICKYS* before doing anything else harmful to your puppy.

Images
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your pup!

Please read the below two treads asap
    http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=3012

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=2076

Pups need positive not negative training.

Shock and correction collars of any kind should NEVER be used on puppies period.
    'Good' dogs don't pop out of the womb that way, management, controlling the environment, and teaching create 'good' dogs. Actually, all dogs are good because they are just doing what dogs do----- we are asking them to live in our homes and abide by our 'rules'.
    Well said.

Actually ever time a pup has a accident it is the owner's fault for not paying attention to the pup. Whenever you can't watch and monitor the pup he should be crated. When out of the crate you need to keep full attention and watch for signs of the pup needing to go like sniffing and circling and take him immediately out.

11. Quote Originally Posted by piggie916 View Post
    There is a * PLETHORA* of information on this forum if you even tried to look before posting this. There is no quick solution to your problem if thats what you came here for. Throw the shock collar away and set aside 20 min to read through the training *STICKYS* before doing anything else harmful to your puppy.

chill out homeslice. you dont have to cop an attitude and act all superior to me on the *INTERNET* so go take a benzo and chillax.

first off i never did anything harmful to my dog, i mentioned a shock collar and that i was tempted to use it, but hes 2 months old so i wont use it on him. also i didnt know if it would be a good or bad thing for a pitbull. i know they work for some dogs, so i figured id ask.
    Last edited by Vicki; 01-26-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: *Removed language

12. moving on...

i take him out frequently and still get a piss spot or 2 everyday. i take him out to the same place and he always does his thing.

but once he knows he has to go outside to go the bathroom, what will he do to show me? just start whining? walk to the door? or am i supposed to somehow teach him something?

I think every dog is different as far as showing you sign that they have to go out, he might just pick something up when he has to go out like my lab when he has to go out he walks over to the front door and touches the handle and then looks at you. My AmStaff on the other hand wont do anything I have never taught them to alert me to go out he just picked it up. Hopefully someone else will pipe up about maybe training him to alert you :) Good Luck!!

Images

He is 8-9 weeks old...what did you think he would be able to do? You need to be very patient and get him to trust you with positive experiences. They learn the most between 7 weeks old and 17 weeks...so now is crucial.

There is no "secret formula". You need to take him out every hour for a while...then every two hours for a while...then every three hours for a while...ect. until he works up to 8 hours. It is important that you walk him around the yard and let him go more than once...usually until he poops most of the time.

now, of course, he loves to bite. he has toys that he likes chewing, but he really enjoys chewing things he shouldnt be chewing. and he loves biting me. i usually just stop him and give him a toy. it will distract him for a second then hell be right back on me. if i hit his nose and tell him to stop it only gets him more pissed off.

He is still very young and learning "bite inhibition". If he would have stayed with his siblings for a few more weeks, he might have picked that up a bit better. Just substitute a toy for your person EVERY TIME he bites you...again be very patient and positive...It will pay off tenfold later. He is not pissed off at you, so don't take it personally. He is just establishing himself in this world...show him the way.

im starting to just put him in his kennel when he starts acting crazy because nothing else will calm him down or stop him from biting me.

The kennel should not really be used as a form of punishment. If you do have to put him in his kennel, do so with a soothing voice, a treat and a toy to chew on. You are still his mentor and must act as one.

any tips?

Definitely a no-no for a pup and not the best device for this breed. I think if you are patient and let him come around, you will be surprised. He will pick up things fairly quickly as he grows older and will be looking to you for direction...if he trusts you.

thank you in advance!

My responses in red. You might want to read some of the "Sticky Threads" in Behavior and Other Sections. First and foremost, don't get defensive...it serves no good purpose here.

How long have you had the pup? I would not believe that you could have a 8 week old(or any age dog) totally trained in one day, or two, or three. If you want to believe that then fine, but it will take time, and most of all patience on your part. If you took a baby to a certain area outside it's still gonna $#@! and piss his/her pants. It will get better and easier with age. It is going to be frustrating, but your pup will need plenty of practice in order not to go in the house, believe me(or not) it's not going to be a over night thing.

16. like i said, i wasnt sure what to expect from him. especially after my friends roomates female pit, 4 days younger or older than my dog, i forgot, already knows her name, doesnt bite much, and knows to sit and shake.

but she slaps the $#@! out of her puppy when she does something wrong. pretty much the opposite kind of approach that im going for.

also, sorry for being dickish myself. im a dick to people who are dicks/smart$#@! to me.

I don't know if I can be much help because I dont know half of what the experts on here know.

But I currently have a 8 week old in my house. We have had her for 3 days now. For the biting I have made a slight "squeel" or a said "ouch" (not very loud, just a sound she doesnt like) real quick when she bites me, she will usually back off real quick and give me the cutest "head tilt", then I just give her one of her toys to chew on and she goes on her marry way. For the house breaking I have hung a set of bells on the front door knob. Every time we have taken her out, we have given the bells a light jingle before we walk out the door. While there are still a few accidents here and there, she has figured out that the bells mean something and she will go to them and mess around with them. And when we hear her at the bells we take her right outside. I dont know if this is suggested by many people,but it has worked great with her. She also knows sit, down and is learning "stay", but I think thats because we have made it a point to work with her constantly on these things, and the whole time we have made it a game for her. Baically when the commercials come on, it's time to get in the floor and play. It's also a great excuse to stop working on school work for a while.

I think it just takes time. And feel very lucky that you are dealing with a Pit. From my experience over the past few days they are one of the smartest breeds I have EVER worked with. If you're tempted to use a shock collar now, then I'd hate to see what you'd do if you had to deal with a young husky!

As someone who is currently raising her second APBT puppy...(my newest addition is 8 weeks). You gotta just take everything slow. Each puppy learns at a different rate, and while some take longer to house train, others learn quickly.

For example...

Indy, my now 10 month old, took till she was almost 6 months to house train. Yet Boner my 8 week old, has yet to potty in the house.

Just take your time, don't try and rush things to much. If you notice a time where the pup seems to potty more inside the house, start taking it out more often around that time. When he pottys outside PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE and treat. It will help him learn that is the right place to go. Read some of the stickys people suggested, there is TONS of great info there, heck thats where I got a lot of info when I was first working with Indy when I got her. ;)

Oh and...leave the shock collar where it is...it will all come in time.
    Last edited by firedrake13; 01-27-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: forgot to add something...

Images

but she slaps the $#@! out of her puppy when she does something wrong. pretty much the opposite kind of approach that im going for.
    That is a shame...she does not deserve a dog or any animal in that case. I can not type what I really think about your little friend but she is not much of a caretaker...

Images
    You've been given excellent advice, please take it to heart. Puppies are just babies and don't know what to do, that's where you come in. You have to TRAIN him to do what you want, and that will take time. Don't expect to wake up tomorrow and your puppy be house trained. For one thing, when Mollie was a puppy, I took her outside every 30 mins, and never stand still.... take him outside and constantly walk around.. If you stand still, your pup will sit down at your feet and won't move, so you keep moving, and move far away from him, but within site. If he stops to pee when coming to you, instantly praise him and tell him good boy. He will get the going to the door part down, but that's going to be MONTHS down the line, not weeks.

Oh, and that shock collar.... the BEST thing you could do with it is file it in good ole 86'..... (trash can).

Think of it like this... If someone told you to go on line and program your computer to do something they just mentioned to you... could you do it? Would you be able to do it any better if someone put a shock collar around your neck and shocked you? You still wouldn't know what to do until someone showed you what to do. I'm not trying to compare the dog to a human.... but he isn't going to learn to be potty trained in one day just by you taking him outside.... he will get it in time, but only by your teaching him. If this is your first puppy, and apparently it is your first potty training experience, the biggest word in your vocabulary should and will be, patience, if you want success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast