Blue Wilderness vs. Blue Buffalo

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering, what the big difference was in the two foods. They are made by the same company. Bue Blue Wilderness is a 6 star food while Blue Buffalo is only 4 star.

I am trying to find a healthy good food for Mollie & Charlie. They both have very sensitive, dry, flakey, itchy skin. :(

I was feeding them Science Diet Sensitive Skin. I have read that this is a terrible food. Please help me!!! :o

I believe that the Wilderness is grain free, while the regular line contains rice, barley, etc. The website claims it to be a "good alternative to a raw diet."

I feed Blue Buffalo Fish & Sweet Potato. He also gets fish oil for his dry skin.
    Changing to a better food will definitely improve their skin!

Images
    Mollie has been on Blue Buffalo, but I am switching her over to Taste Of The Wild, Bison & Roasted Venison formula, simply because she seems to like it better. I like TOTW because it's grain free and an all life stages kibble. Science Diet is crap food, I think you're better off if you put them on either TOTW or Blue Buffalo, as both are way better kibble than Science Diet, in my opinion. :)

Thank you for your comments.

I had NO idea that Science Diet was so bad. I feel terrible for feeding my babies that. I just $#@!umed the Vet would tell me the correct information about dog food and what is best.

Does anyone know why it says that it is Vet's choice? Isn't this misleading?

Ok, so what is better? Blue Wilderness or TOTW?

5. Babe gets TOTW Salmon. She's doing well on it. She was on Science Diet for puppies when I adopted her. The vet had no suggestions except try one protein source since Babe had a bad skin problem when I adopted her. I think I'll rotate within the TOTW family. I'd like to go raw but don't think it would be practical for me. I have not tried Blue Wilderness. Anyone else?

6. i prefer blue buffalo and i add a teaspoon of vegatable oil to his food twice a week for his dry skin

7. vets says that cuz alot of vets have a contract with the food companys and they will promote or sell that products. so in short they make mony off of the products that is sold

Quote Originally Posted by Mix410 View Post
    i prefer blue buffalo and i add a teaspoon of vegatable oil to his food twice a week for his dry skin
    If I'm not mistake, veggie oil is the worst kind of oil - even for humans. Olive oil would be better, or canola oil is a lighter oil if you don't want to spend the money on olive oil, and it would be much much healthier than veggie oil. Even better than oil would be fish oil, and it's pretty cheap. I bought a bottle of 300 liquigels for $15.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lorler View Post
    If I'm not mistake, veggie oil is the worst kind of oil - even for humans. Olive oil would be better, or canola oil is a lighter oil if you don't want to spend the money on olive oil, and it would be much much healthier than veggie oil. Even better than oil would be fish oil, and it's pretty cheap. I bought a bottle of 300 liquigels for $15.
    you are right about the vegtable oil. also vegtable, olive and canola oil really dont do anything signficant for the dog...they are not omegas..if you want omega fatty acids use a high quality fish oil or flaxseed or something like that where you will actually benefit your dog nutritionally.

to the OP Blue wildreness is high protein low carb...a more natural diet the regular blue buffalo is healthier then your science diet but is not of the same quality as the wilderness.
    I have been feeding blue wilderness and innova evo mixed to my boy since he was almost 5 months old. TOTW is a good food also its a 6 star food and pretty affordable but for what i want from my dogs performance i go with the wilderness evo.

Peanuts Mommy,
    Thanks for your information. What do you mean by what you want for your dogs performance? I saw that they are both 6 star foods...you like BW better?

Images
    I mix wilderness with evo..i use both the poultry and red meat formulas...Peanut is very active now and when my husband gets home he is going to be running and doing alot of physical training so the high protein low carb diet is good for him where as a dog that has a less active lifestyle would be just fine on a diet such as innova adult or totw or wellness 5 or any of the 5 star foods and 6 star foods that are not so high in protein low in carbs.
    I used ground flaxseed in Peanuts food for his Omegas which I get at the regular market for a pretty good size bag it was $1.99 and I also use it on my food its good for both of us ;) Fish oil is good to but I chose to go with flax because I have yet to find out if any of the fish oils are 100% EQ free

12. Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsMommy View Post
    you are right about the vegtable oil. also vegtable, olive and canola oil really dont do anything signficant for the dog...they are not omegas..if you want omega fatty acids use a high quality fish oil or flaxseed or something like that where you will actually benefit your dog nutritionally.
    PM all oils contain Omegas. Oils contain Omega 3's, 6's, and 9's fatty acids. Olive oil, for example is composed of mostly 9's. Many of our diets and our pets are drastically out of balance with 6's being the predominant omega consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsMommy View Post
    I used ground flaxseed in Peanuts food for his Omegas which I get at the regular market for a pretty good size bag it was $1.99 and I also use it on my food its good for both of us ;) Fish oil is good to but I chose to go with flax because I have yet to find out if any of the fish oils are 100% EQ free
    Flax is an OK source but it does not contain the Omega-3 chains- EPA and DHA, that are beneficial. Flax contains ALA, Alpha Linolenic Acid, through digestion it is converted to EPA and DHA.
    For example 15 grams of flaxseed oil provides 8 grams of ALA and 15 grams of ground flax provides 3.4 grams of ALA. The ALA is then converted at a rate of 2-15% for EPA and 2-5% for DHA. These conversion rates are for humans. Canines have a short digestive structure that would provide a lower conversion of the ALA.

I eat Flax on a daily basis for the health benefits other then the ALA, but to increase Omega-3's in canines and ourselves nothing is more efficient then fish oil, cold water fish, or gr$#@! fed (no corn) meats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollie & Charlie's Mommie View Post

I had NO idea that Science Diet was so bad. I feel terrible for feeding my babies that. I just $#@!umed the Vet would tell me the correct information about dog food and what is best.

Simple...They get paid for it. I like both Blue and TOTW, they are both equally good in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsMommy View Post
    I mix wilderness with evo..i use both the poultry and red meat formulas...Peanut is very active now and when my husband gets home he is going to be running and doing alot of physical training so the high protein low carb diet is good for him where as a dog that has a less active lifestyle would be just fine on a diet such as innova adult or totw or wellness 5 or any of the 5 star foods and 6 star foods that are not so high in protein low in carbs.
    Good post.

I rotate within Evo formulations and have been adding a spoonful of grain free canned on top most days as a treat. Usually from the Evo 95% meat line (duck is her favorite), but I got some NV Instinct (lamb and rabbit) and Merrick BG (100% buffalo). Lily is very active and really sensitive to grains, so this has worked fabulously for us. Its a lot cheaper than most other foods too because she eats so much less volume.

i tried my girl out on BW, b/c it was 6 star rated food and i'd heard a LOT of positive things about it.

well, it didn't agree with my baby at all.

now we're on Instinct Rabbit formula and so far so good. :) i like it.

just make sure your pup isn't allergic to chicken or potatoes when going onto BW. :)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Mollie & Charlie's Mommie View Post

Sometimes, vets get kickbacks by supporting specific brands. I've notice PetSmart Banfield vets are especially prone to doing so. Unfortunately they're mixing a sales job with a job that is supposed to be about doing what's best for our furry friends, not their wallets.

17. Of course you have to go with what works for your baby ! But if I could add, my two pitties have tried and have been doing very well on the (grain-free) TOTW. We rotate between all the different proteins and my dogs love it. They have eaten Blue Buffalo and Evo and like them. But for the ingredients and price point, TOTW can not be beat.